Thread: embedding files

embedding files

I'd like to embed a video for viewing on a website. I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent users from obtaining the source/ location of the video and downloading it to disk?

Essentially, I suppose I'm trying to hide the source of a video file

Best way to do so would be to consider encrypt your PHP files with Ioncube / Sourceguardian. This way, even if downloaded to their PC (if it's even possible since I sincerely doubt that the encrypted modules will even let users to download encrypted web files on their computer), they will probably fail to load it due to intentional missing components once downloaded (since the rest pretty much sticks from the FTP's / server core's end).

horizon, read the question more closely.

compjab is trying to find a method which prevents someone from accesing a media file directly or knowing where the location of the file is. This has nothing to do with PHP (note compjab didn't say that the application even used PHP) thus "encrypt your PHP files..." is not an appropriate answer. compjab used the word "source" in a completely different context.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

I wonder if PHP has a method for embedding videos?

On another note, for which I'm not necessarily seeking a response, I thought PHP code within <?php ?> couldn't be viewed by users
    Last edited by compjab; 10-28-2006 at 11:01 PM.

It's been replied from my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by horizon
    It's been replied from my post above.
    Not once does your post mention VIDEO files.

The objective here is to secure/hide the source/location of video files, not PHP code or anything of that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by compjab

On another note, for which I'm not necessarily seeking a response, I thought PHP code within <?php ?> couldn't be viewed by users
    PHP on websites is essentially used to generate HTML. The Browser reads the HTML and when it sees the embedded video, it will play it.. It is not possible to hide the embedded video from the source code because the browser could not play it then.

It is not possible to hide the embedded video from the source code because the browser could not play it then.
    False. If you encrypt your readings with, either, IonCube / Zend / SourceGuardian (or possibly a few more known software out there), it will not show the video's links under the view source in your browser.

It would be like what most people do for their picture files. You can write a simple php file to output binary content of video, and all your links to this video are replaced by this php file.

It's called queries that points out to the original target files.

False. If you encrypt your readings with, either, IonCube / Zend / SourceGuardian (or possibly a few more known software out there), it will not show the video's links under the view source in your browser.

Ok, if the HTML source is encrypted by IonCube / Zend / SourceGuardian, please explain how te browser decryps it.
    All this time poor me thought that forementioned encrypt source files, not the output itself.

horizon, you truly impress me. You have absolutely no idea what you're doing, but still have the nerve to act as a teacher to other people.

PHP Code:
    Ok, if the HTML source is encrypted by IonCube Zend SourceGuardianplease explain how te browser decryps it.
    All this time poor me thought that forementioned encrypt source filesnot the output itself
    And what impresses me the most is that you haven't tried it out for yourself to see the difference. Otherwise, you wouldn't critize like you usually uselessly instead of seeing the results for yourself.

I actually do use IonCube and I know what I'm talking about. So much for useless comments. Encrypting source php files is completely different thing to encrypting html output. I suggest getting some info before going into discussions you have no clue about.

Otherwise, you wouldn't critize like you usually uselessly instead of seeing the results for yourself.
    Show us such a page, produced by such technology, and I'll show you the URL in seconds.

Bottom line: if a video or audio or html file is to be rendered by technology *running on the client* (lets use mplayer or RealPlayer or MS Media Player as examples), then the URL to that resource must be passed to the client in a form it can recognize.

PHP Code:
    Ok, if the HTML source is encrypted by IonCube Zend SourceGuardianplease explain how te browser decryps it.
    All this time poor me thought that forementioned encrypt source filesnot the output itself
    And what impresses me the most is that you haven't tried it out for yourself to see the difference. Otherwise, you wouldn't critize like you usually uselessly instead of seeing the results for yourself.
    You are wrong... Browsers read HTML.. you cannot "encrypt" html.. Zend/IonCube encrypts the PHP files so if you open the php files on the server, you cannot read the source.. When run, the PHP files generate HTML and HTML is not encrypted... Case Closed.

lets use mplayer or RealPlayer or MS Media Player as examples), then the URL to that resource must be passed to the client in a form it can recognize
    That is ... a good point though. I was sure it was encrypting it . . . no wonder why programmers are using queries to load video files these days.

That is ... a good point though. I was sure it was encrypting it . . .
    You need to think more, write less. Don't make such sweeping assumptions without first turning them into facts, or nonsense, in your own head by doing the work to prove something.

It would be good for you to understand more about what http does and does not do, and how client applications (the browser is a client too) interact.

I've been singling you out today for commentary because you are passing off your opinions and assumptions and wild guesses as certain knowledge and you are taking others way off base.

I'm sure you mean well but you do your reputation no good, nor are you actually helping people by passing misinformation around.

no wonder why programmers are using queries to load video files these days.
    As an example, this statement doesn't even make sense.

Do... More thinking; more reading real documentation, not the opinions of others; more experimentation.
    Don't... venture an opinion about something until you've actually done your homework.