IPMI 2.0 Questions

Am I correct in assuming that if my servers have IPMI 2.0 capability, then they are capable of remote reboot, and remote console access no matter the current state of the server?

Is there anything in addition to the IPMI 2.0 card that i need to have to be able to access those 2 features?

Yep, that's one of the main selling points of any IPMI system.

You just need ipmitool on Linux to reboot it. IPMI is a standardized protocol, so any IPMI tool can work with any IPMI system.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Very few IPMI 2.0 implementations actually support remote console, buyer beware. Most of them merely give you access to read various hardware sensors, and to manipulate the power supply. I know the Tyan boards give you "remote access" in a rather crude fashion, which requires a Java client to access them, with their SMDC . As far as we could tell remote LOM on them were only accessible on the same physical segment.. You didn't actually give the LOM an IP address, but rather sent out multicast requests to figure out which servers on the local network had connectable loms.. Not that great of a solution for a shared environment.

Some vendors, such as IBM, Sun, and HP give you a real LOM with their IPMI implementation. We've been using the HP DL145 G2 since they came out, and the lom is great. We can telnet or ssh in, and get full ANSI remote console access... Though ansi graphics tend to make terminal emulation a bit ugly.

We also evaluated the Sun X4100, X4200, and X2200 M2 recently.. Sun's LOM is awesome.. Unfortunately you need a java client to connect, but it's not like the Tyan "implementation". You assign an IP to the LOM then you get remote ssh access to it, or full remote VGA access through the java client. It's very slick.. Plus the x2200 with 8gb of memory, 2 disks, and a dual core processor used 15 watts less than the HP DL145 G2 with a single processor!

What is Softlayer doing to get their serial console access?

Serial console servers?

If it's IPMI 2.0, it's got remote console. That's one of the specific differences with 1.5 and 2.0. It's just optional in 1.5.

I've still not got our two Tyan IPMI cards working, but I've not fiddled with them enough. SuperMicro's stuff is all standardized, though. They have a fugly Java client like the rest, but ipmitool on the command line is way easier and lighter to work with. Plus, it's easy to integrate with your monitoring system for automatic reboots.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

I was scared off by mhalligan's post.

So if I stick to Supermicro IPMI 2.0 I should be ok with having a working remote console?

IE: full remote access on any O/S, and non-dependant on operating system condition? I plan to use this instead of KVM

Quote Originally Posted by IndeInvest
    I was scared off by mhalligan's post.

So if I stick to Supermicro IPMI 2.0 I should be ok with having a working remote console?

IE: full remote access on any O/S, and non-dependant on operating system condition? I plan to use this instead of KVM
    The IPMI Remote Console should work for you 99% of the time, however if/when your server kernel panics it will hose the IPMI drivers and you will need to contact the datacenter or somebody else to reboot the server. As nice as IPMI is, I would still prefer a KVM switch or Remote Reboot ports.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by timdorr
    If it's IPMI 2.0, it's got remote console. That's one of the specific differences with 1.5 and 2.0. It's just optional in 1.5.

I've still not got our two Tyan IPMI cards working, but I've not fiddled with them enough. SuperMicro's stuff is all standardized, though. They have a fugly Java client like the rest, but ipmitool on the command line is way easier and lighter to work with. Plus, it's easy to integrate with your monitoring system for automatic reboots.
    Like the rest? Like the rest of the whitebox manufacturers, yeah.. HP, IBM, SUN, even Dell to a point have real LOMs that don't require inferior third party clients.. SSH & Telnt have been around for a long time, it makes a lot of sense to use them as a management interface.

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    The IPMI Remote Console should work for you 99% of the time, however if/when your server kernel panics it will hose the IPMI drivers and you will need to contact the datacenter or somebody else to reboot the server. As nice as IPMI is, I would still prefer a KVM switch or Remote Reboot ports.

Alex

IPMI is such a lousy solution. The idea that a kernel panic makes it not work is preposterous. I don't even see the value in using bad motherboards.. I get my DL145 G2s starting at $806 before I start adding bigger disks, memory, and bigger procs to them.. They have great management features, and I don't have to worry about some 1/2 implemented ipmi system.. I just ssh into my LOM's IP address to control power, or get remote console.