Daylight Savings Time..

I hate this time of year because of the cold, but another reason I don't care for it is because of the clocks being set back. Why can't we just stay forward, rather than fall back? Getting dark at 4PM is way too early in my old book .

Wasn't that supposed to be changed in a few years time?
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Waking up at 8:30 and its still completely dark outside is way too late.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Starting next year the US will fall back on the first Sunday in November and DST will be 3 weeks longer. Supposedly it will reduce energy consumption. It means kids will have to wait an extra hour before it gets dark on Halloween.

There was a story on the BBC Web site earlier today about having summer time as GMT+2 and the rest of the year as GMT+1. I can't seem to find it now.

Apparently this would be good for your health if you live in England or Wales, because less people will be injured from being hit by vehicles, as there will be extra hours of light.

If course though, Scotland will throw a fit at the idea, as it means their children have to walk to school in the dark for even more of the year.
    - Jamie Harrop

While I agree that walking to the bus stop as a kid in the dark was kind of weird, it wasn't too bad considering the bus was 3 minutes down a hill. I figure that's how it is for most folks, unless your out in the sticks where houses are miles apart, heh.
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

changing the time is the stupidest thing ever, this stuff about "an extra hour of daylight" is all a big lie. Changing the time doesn't change the seasons of nature! winter is naturally shorter days, and no politician can change that fact.

The idea of changing the British time zone isn't about changing the fact that winter has shorter days, Stephen. It is about having day turn to night at 5pm rather than 4pm, so more children can get home safely from school (And I presume there are other health reasons too).
    - Jamie Harrop

Its the same excuse here, but what about the kids going TO school, that doesn't matter?

If they really cared they'd shorten the school day by an hour

Its the same excuse here, but what about the kids going TO school, that doesn't matter?
    For the most part, it wouldn't be dark when going to school. Of course though, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, those further north such as in Scotland will end up going to school in the dark, so they won't like the idea.
    - Jamie Harrop

Scotland have their own parliment so they can get their own time zone.

I agree we should always stay in BST and in summer go to BST+1

I'd rather have the extra hours day light in the evening rather than the morning when you cannot make full use of it.

And France is 1 hour ahead of us but directly below England so it makes no sense for us to use GMT.
    ...loading

Sheesh some of you dudes have long dark hours or very long school days
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

Here in Northern England, in the winter it is usually fully dark by 4pm and light by 8:30-9am. Yeah, it's horrible!
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen)
    changing the time is the stupidest thing ever, this stuff about "an extra hour of daylight" is all a big lie. Changing the time doesn't change the seasons of nature! winter is naturally shorter days, and no politician can change that fact.

Try telling that to idiots who support it!

Were I live they tryed to impliment it but the public voted No THREE TIMES and now the goverment is going to impliment it because they disagree with the public.

Honestly nothing good comes out of it winding a clock back isnt going to magically extend the day Why add one more thing to the list of tasks to be forgotten about.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541
    Try telling that to idiots who support it!

Were I live they tryed to impliment it but the public voted No THREE TIMES and now the goverment is going to impliment it because they disagree with the public.

Honestly nothing good comes out of it winding a clock back isnt going to magically extend the day Why add one more thing to the list of tasks to be forgotten about.
    Heh, you must be in WA. I believe it is a trial only for this year? And then a referendum?

NT doesn't need it as there is very little difference in daylight hours throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    Here in Northern England, in the winter it is usually fully dark by 4pm and light by 8:30-9am. Yeah, it's horrible!
    Daylight savings in Aus was first introduced in Tasmania when they had a very severe water shortage and therefore low power because electricity there is water powered. By extending the "day" people didn't need to turn on lights etc until after 9pm (in high summer it gets light at 4am when most normal people are/were sleeping - this was before internet ), the extended daylight also had more people out enjoying themselves, rather than stuck inside watching telly etc. I think we had it there for several years before some other states decided to change also.

In Tasmania winter, it got dark at 5.30 and light by 7am around the solstice.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Heh, you must be in WA. I believe it is a trial only for this year? And then a referendum?
    They have Had a referendum THREE times and every time the public says no
    the Socalled trial is a lowly tactic to say "Well we have it now so lets just keep it" IF there really is a referendum after this one people will probably give in.

This is acually a very effective interrogation tactic everyboby gives in eventualy.

"If a women said no to sex 3 times we would all agree the right thing to do is drop it,
    so why are we persisting with Daylight Savings when we have said no 3 times?"
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I didn't read this entire thread, just glanced. But my neighbor said that they say that they are going to get rid of this silly daylight savings time next year?

That would be great. I HATE daylight savings... it gets dark way too quickly! Not to mention a nusiance to change your clocks all the time.

Isn't there a state in the US that doesn't have to change their clocks? Isn't that state texas or arizona or something? Or was the person who told me this under the influence?

P.S:

Dan541,
    In regards to your previous post... that's because we have forgotten to kick them in between the legs