Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Domains idea stolen - Real time idea theft - Very Very Wrong!!!

Hello,

I want to share with you a troublesome experience that happened to me twice this week.

3 days ago, on October 25th, a customer asked me to register an add-on domain for him. Namely: cleoweb.net The domain was free and the order confirmed. A couple hours later, the customer sent a Paypal and I tried to register the domain name. It was TAKEN. The domain was registred the minute I searched to it. From the Whois:

Domain Name: CLEOWEB.NET
    Registrar: BELGIUMDOMAINS, LLC
    Whois Server: whois.belgiumdomains.com
    Referral URL: http://www.belgiumdomains.com
    Name Server: NS-1.ORDERBOX-PARKING.COM
    Name Server: NS-2.ORDERBOX-PARKING.COM
    Name Server: NS-3.ORDERBOX-PARKING.COM
    Updated Date: 25-oct-2006
    Creation Date: 25-oct-2006
    Expiration Date: 25-oct-2007

Yesterday, I searched for another domain name for another customer: linuxez.com Guess what? the very moment I tried to register it, I was told that this domain is not available! I searched on various registars, no Whois records where available still but the domain was indiacted as freshly registred. This morning, the Whois records were updated and indicate:

Domain Name: LINUXEZ.COM
    Registrar: NAMEKING.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.nameking.com
    Referral URL: http://www.nameking.com
    Name Server: NS1.MALTUZI.COM
    Name Server: NS11.MALTUZI.COM
    Updated Date: 27-oct-2006
    Creation Date: 27-oct-2006
    Expiration Date: 27-oct-2007

Yes, the registar indicated the domain as taken because my search action generated the very registration of this domain name by a third party. I discussed the issue with my associates and it has been believed that some registars redirect their prospective customers searches results to a third party that uses a human or an automated system to register these domains if they looks intersting.

I am taking the matter very seriously. Please share your experience.
    Enterprise Consultant
    CCNP Enterprise - CCNP Security
    .:. Travels From West to East .:.

Where were you searching for the domain availability for the client originally?

Directi - myorderbox
    Enterprise Consultant

Believe it or not I have experienced this too more than once. Do a search at 1 registrar (because they have a better search tool) and when we try to register at the registrar that we use <POOF!> it's registered and gone. All in a matter of minutes.
    Host, YES!
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

This was covered many times already. Just use either registry's own whois server or linux shell. NEVER EVER a registrar!!!
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Use command line 'whois'

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    Use command line 'whois'
    This is what I've suggested 1 post above...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

From what site are you doing the whois from?

I believe a number of people have also taken a likeing to www.iwhois.com

If you see a vacant parking slot, do you expect it to remain that way if you decide
    not to take it on the spot and come back later?

Is there such a thing as idea theft? Who decides who has exclusivity to an idea?

i always check by whois.sc... never had any such problem ... few domain vr worth instant registration

The second domain name was stollen during the registration process. Yes, I can check from a server command line if a domain name is free or not, but I cannot register it from there.
    Enterprise Consultant

This is absolutely strange! Did you contact Directi / Reseller club support and discuss this? If both of the times you checked the domain on their domain whois lookup and domains were gone then I am sure they should have some explanation about this.

We usually use whois.sc / viewwhois.com / xwhois.com and havent faced any such issue so far.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

I always use
    That win32 whois client avalible at
    http://www.geektools.com/tools.php

No problems so far
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

A great tool is Sam spade for Windows. Lots of tools, right on your own 'puter.

Quote Originally Posted by edelweisshosting
    The second domain name was stollen during the registration process.
    I can understand your sentiment on this. But no, you can't claim the domain name
    was stolen if it wasn't registered to you in the first place.

Unless the provider you looked up has some kind of privacy policy addressing this
    specific concern, then they're pretty much free to do anything with the data that is
    being fed to them as they see fit. If anything, you shouldn't use their service next
    time to check for domain availability.

Nowadays there is no realistic expectation that what it is you want won't be there
    for you if you don't take it on the spot for whatever reason. As some people in the
    US put it, you snooze you lose.

I know some of you don't like what I posted here. But I'm being realistic.

Yes this has been an issue for a very long time, can't really trust some places because a lot of information IS mined AND sold.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

snooze you lose, you should register them as fast as possible

The second domain was stolen during the registration process. I mean, that some registars redirect the searches to a real time analysis system. If you try to register an intersting domain, it is immediatly catched no matter how fast you are. Before you arrive to the payment or to the DNS form, the domain name has gone.
    Enterprise Consultant

Care to name the registrar that did this so otehrs can avoid similar issues?
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

This is why I always use whois.sc, I have never had such a problem with them.

edelweisshosting,

I am sorry to hear that, but it is not the first time I hear it. It is not ethical, but I doubt one can do anything regarding that.

The domain name will be registered and if it does not receive the traffic, I assume 98% it will be dropped within 4 days, so I would advise to keep your eye on it.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I have seen this happen quite often in the last year or so. It isn't limited to one site's lookup either.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    This is why I always use whois.sc, I have never had such a problem with them.
    Other people have. It's not recommnded. Use your shell whois commands or iwhois.com.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    A great tool is Sam spade for Windows. Lots of tools, right on your own 'puter.
    Are you shure? It is by default using a "whois.crsnic.net" and that whois is exactly what was giving me a trouble. Every time I check a domain name through that whois the domain was taken a few hours later by Maltuzi and NameKing. After I changed a whois server I never got that problem again.

Quote Originally Posted by maxo
    edelweisshosting,

I am sorry to hear that, but it is not the first time I hear it. It is not ethical, but I doubt one can do anything regarding that.

The domain name will be registered and if it does not receive the traffic, I assume 98% it will be dropped within 4 days, so I would advise to keep your eye on it.
    Yes, that is true, it is ususaly dropped within 4 days.

But why do you doubt one can do anything regarding that?

Did someone tried to report this to NameKing or ICANN?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast