Why Do they Drum Beat Over Selling, Afaraid Competing?

1. They started hosting business charging customers high costs and than some one came up with idea that userd space is invariably 5 to 10 times less than used space.

2. This leads to conclusion of 5 to 10 Times lower costs, thus benifit to customers.

3. It by NO MEANS leads to what is called OVER USAGE or misuse of server resources. Not sure how they say so. I have a server, I know what percentage of resources I have to use to shift to next server, It has got nothing to do with my hosting packages.

4. I think they drum beat it as they have to lower cost and reduce profits if they don't.

Any other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by muneer
    1. They started hosting business charging customers high costs and than some one came up with idea that userd space is invariably 5 to 10 times less than used space.

2. This leads to conclusion of 5 to 10 Times lower costs, thus benifit to customers.

3. It by NO MEANS leads to what is called OVER USAGE or misuse of server resources. Not sure how they say so. I have a server, I know what percentage of resources I have to use to shift to next server, It has got nothing to do with my hosting packages.

4. I think they drum beat it as they have to lower cost and reduce profits if they don't.

Any other ideas.
    Other point is:

Dropping costs of servers over last five years: The one clinging to old prices (to make more money) acuse others of OVERSELLING.

Certain Asian countires coming in competitions, which have much lower wages strurctures, thus the ones who are paying heavy cost for management cannot compete any more, NO CHOICE, than saying "OTHERS ARE OVERSELLING"

You know how to handle the server and prevent is from overloading..that's good..other people aren't that capable and they keep stuffing the server with site until it bursts
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Overloading and overselling are two different overs. However, they're generally confused as interchangible. Although one can argue that overselling leads to overloading, it is certainly not always the case.

Overselling is frowned upon because of the likelihood of it leading to overloading. You're not as likely to find an overloaded server by someone who practices underselling.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with overselling. Many successuful (*gasp, not restricted to web hosting) companies practice overselling. And do it very well.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

The problem is many hosts don't put a reasonable margin per server for current customer growth(s) so they tend to overuse the server instead of moving customers.
    -Mr Bister

What I fail to understand from your point is that why some one shall handle a machine incorrectly knowing well that it will ruin him. If some one means business, he shall always take care of maching which brings him business. So whether he can over sell initially and than when he has resources created due to that sale, he can easily move to next server. (my calculation is that 1 server means selling 5 server safely when you need to move on to next server, and that is pretty good selling option).

Supposing a server is of 80gb space and thus have say 60 GB space available for sale (space point of view alone) I do not think there shall be any server owner who allocate say 60 GB to his customers and despite all of them using only 12GB for years, shall keep changing the server. That to me is also an incorrect use of resources.