Thumbs up i need advice from u all

Hi guys,

i am planning to setup a new website whic consists of few static HTML&DHTML pages and few PHP pages. i want to have a forum like phpBB, one blogger, Chat, small WIKI like Wikipedia, clender ,guestbook and image gallery .. etc.

importent thing here is i am not a php programmer and doesn't have any experience with mysql, pls suggest who provides esay setting up of the things i mentioned.

i heard there are problems with shared hosting. what kind of problems are they?
    i don't want to get anyproblems in the future.

my requirements are 100mb-1gb space and 10-15gb tranfer. suggest me the host who provides all thse things. i can afford 100-150$ per anum.

Hi kittu,

Check out webhost that offer fantastico which let you install web scripts instantly with a few clicks. You can setup phpBB as forum, wordpress for your blog, TikiWiki/PHPwiki for your wikipedia, ViPER Guestbook for guestbook, Coppermine Photo Gallery for image gallery . For chat, you can try flashchat.

With $100-150 per anum, you should get a decent shared hosting account.
    Most importantly, do check the background of your webhost before signing up with them. Just to avoid problem in the future . eg. bad support, frequent downtime etc.

Good luck.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

hi MxHub,

Thanks for the reply.

it is very hard for me to decide as all hosting companys are flooding with offers and i don't have proper reviews about them.

if possible can u suugest me few good hosts

Try a few hosting review sites, or the search function here on WHT to find reviews on various companies. Just make sure to do some research.

Kyle

Do you need all those scripts pre-installed?
    Are all them going to work under the same domain? or do you need a multiple domain account?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

it can b pre installed or with some easy to insatll scripts like Fantastio..
    all of them will b under single domain.

guys... most importent thing. i am using this for socail service. so, please don't use this thread for advertaising. suggest me only if it is genuine.
    Last edited by kittu_vadde; 10-28-2006 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kittu_vadde
    Hi guys,

i am planning to setup a new website whic consists of few static HTML&DHTML pages and few PHP pages. i want to have a forum like phpBB, one blogger, Chat, small WIKI like Wikipedia, clender ,guestbook and image gallery .. etc.

importent thing here is i am not a php programmer and doesn't have any experience with mysql, pls suggest who provides esay setting up of the things i mentioned.

i heard there are problems with shared hosting. what kind of problems are they?
    i don't want to get anyproblems in the future.

my requirements are 100mb-1gb space and 10-15gb tranfer. suggest me the host who provides all thse things. i can afford 100-150$ per anum.
    Excellent budget!

Here's a list:
    www.pair.com
    www.crucialp.com (personal experience - A+)
    www.digitallyjustified.com (many good reviews on the forum)

There's many hosts out there, but those 3 should be able to suit you.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

www.upscalehost.com
    www.hostforweb.com
    www.hostgator.com
    www.fuitadnet.com
    www.ubhosting.net

All are excellent and reliable hosts that have been around for a long time and can set you up with a suitable plan to your needs.

Frankly, you are asking for the trouble, IMO.
    Using scripts without any knowledge of programming is a little like driving a car without any experience.
    Probably you would be fine untill certain point.
    But as soon as small problem happens, you may not feel comfortable.

Static pages are mostly fine, even when you get massive accesses, for example.
    But scripts (and especially heavy scripts like many of popluar forum/wiki/etc) are different.
    Without proper configuration and optimization, it may cause site shut down (due to resource abuse),
    or other kinds of problem (getting cracked, for example).

Unfortunately, not so many people are aware of the simple fact that resources are limited.
    So, getting help (and moreover free help) can be difficult when you really need one.

I would recommend starting with static pages only, or keeping dynamic contents to your friends or members.
    This way, you can control the way resource hungry contents are exposed,
    and start learning slowley without the risk of bad surprises.

kittu_vadde check out Hosting Zoom or Mediatemple (not affiliated, unfortunately)

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Using scripts without any knowledge of programming is a little like driving a car without any experience.
    cmon now no need to scare the guy
    if Wordpress required php skills we would've never had so many bloggers complaining about the world and everything in it

Quote Originally Posted by xxkylexx
    http://www.nouptime.com/bad-host-reviews.php

Now I thought that was just hilarious.
    thanks for the plug
    I'm redesigning the entire site soon.. lots of cool stuff in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by extras

Static pages are mostly fine, even when you get massive accesses, for example.
    But scripts (and especially heavy scripts like many of popluar forum/wiki/etc) are different.
    Without proper configuration and optimization, it may cause site shut down (due to resource abuse),
    or other kinds of problem (getting cracked, for example).

Unfortunately, not so many people are aware of the simple fact that resources are limited.
    So, getting help (and moreover free help) can be difficult when you really need one.

I would recommend starting with static pages only, or keeping dynamic contents to your friends or members.
    This way, you can control the way resource hungry contents are exposed,
    and start learning slowley without the risk of bad surprises.
    he just needs to read up on configuring the permissions for the various files and folders. i installed a phpbb board without any trouble.

where most of your clients located. if you are focused in a specific country then this could help narrow it down just by a bit
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

This is less a technical suggestion than an interface one; are you sure you need all of those softwares? With so little experience it would seem more prudent with something like a bb and a blog to start. javascript "chat" is often needless and a wiki requires a significant enough userbase to make it useful.

i know programming and all. i work for a big MNC as java developer. what said was i dono php.
    most of my clients based in india

Hello kittu_vadde,

I believe the most security realted problems that you are probably worrying about should be mostly covered by your hosting company .

About programming itself:

I trust that if you are a java developer, chances are you wont have any major issues with php based software. You would probably have to read the one or other literature to get you up to speed, but nothing that should really stop you from get going.
    The most developers I know needed 3 years to get up to speed on Java but only 6 - 12 months max to become quite good in PHP.

Good Luck !!
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 10-29-2006 at 08:57 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

some of the better host will help a newbie when minor trouble comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by buachille
    he just needs to read up on configuring the permissions for the various files and folders. i installed a phpbb board without any trouble.
    Yup. And heavy WP will cause problem to the server and to his account if his site becomes popular.
    And we will see people recommending him to move over to VPS, dedicated.

As he knows Java, maybe it's better to choose a host with tomcat or any Java thing
    running on the server (they say tomcat is heavy, as well, though...)

PHP (and heavy PHP apps) is the cancer of hosting (especially shared hosting) industry, IMO, and I think people should be warned a bit more.
    I've seen many newbies naively believing things to be easy and suffered a lot, later.

Managing static sites is relatively easy.
    Manageing dynamic sites without lots of visitors is relatively easy.
    But manageing dynamic sites with many visitors and keeping it on a shared hosting isn't necessarily very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by retrodata
    some of the better host will help a newbie when minor trouble comes along.
    Not so many host will be willing to do script optimization and other more complicated tweakings.
    And even if they are willing to do, not so many hosts (or techs) are really capable.

Usually, people from the forum of particular script is more helpful for anything more than very common config setting, I would say.
    But for sure, there are some hosts with pretty strong programming background and lots of free time to enjoy helping users (mostly for fun, as it doesn't make too much sense, financially).