Site down, email up???

Pardon my ignorance, but is there anyway to keep a site down, so that it shows "server not found" message, while keeping email functional?

I'm suspecting this can be somehow worked out within the DNS name server entries. Should I simply delete all entries, would that somehow do it? I'm guessing not, perhaps email wouldn't function this way.

Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions.

turn your webserver off.

Agreed. Shut down your web server, leave everything else running.
    Andrew
    Spry VPS Hosting cPanel VPS, Plesk VPS, Webmin VPS, Shared, Domain Registration, Dedicated and Colo
    VPSLink Cheap VPS accounts CentOS, Fedora 4/5/6, RHEL, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu -- Dapper/Edgy, Slackware, OpenSUSE, LAMP + Ruby pre-installed available

I don't have a dedicated server. At least not for this domain of mine in specific that I'm inquiring for.

Essentially, I'm registered with godaddy and hosting at ******.

Am I right in thinking this isn't possible given that?

Quote Originally Posted by spryandrew
    It sounds like the web server (apache, or lighttpd, or ...) has crashed, but the mail server is still running. I'd suggest logging into your server and checking the running processes.

If it was a DNS problem I'd expect mail to have problems as well.
    spryandrew,

I'm trying to intentionally keep the web server down while the name server remains functional?

Is this at all possible if I don't have dedicated hosting?

Incase it helps, my domain is registered with godaddy while hosting is with ******.

I was wondering if manipulating the name server entries would produce this result that I'm looking for?

Sorry, I misread the first post. If you don't have root access and can't bring the web server down, you could just create a dummy index file. Just create a html file that says what you want ('nothing to see here' kind of message), name it index.html, and put it in the document root of your web server.
    Andrew
    Spry VPS Hosting cPanel VPS, Plesk VPS, Webmin VPS, Shared, Domain Registration, Dedicated and Colo
    VPSLink Cheap VPS accounts CentOS, Fedora 4/5/6, RHEL, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu -- Dapper/Edgy, Slackware, OpenSUSE, LAMP + Ruby pre-installed available

That's what I was thinking of doing. Most will realize that it's not an authentic message, but unfortunately it's my only option I guess.

What would happen if I put giberish into the name server entries? Just out of curiosity if anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Smallville
    What would happen if I put giberish into the name server entries?
    Your domain wouldn't resolve and all mail would bounce.

Can you set the MX and A records separately? If so try setting MX to your host's server name and remove the A record, or set it to something invalid like 0.0.0.0.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter