Dedicated on a budget

100mbps / Decent network speed / 99.5% Uptime
    Cpanel / WHM
    1000GB+ Transfer, monthly.
    Preferably -> 1GB ram.
    Decent Cpu speed.

Usual programs awstats etc etc.

Budget $50 Inclusive.

so far brief look layeredtech are doing one for $69 >_< bit over my budget and testing their network its a bit slow from london. 1.5mb download rate i achieved on an 8mb connection.
    Last edited by pagekeeper; 10-27-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    Ash.

I almost can guarantee you will not get that unless you have a low low processor thats like a Pentium 3 <1 GHz.

I have a P3 1 GHz with 512 mb ram and 1000 gb xfer from exportal.pl for $35. I'm sure they can do something for you.
    AS395558

With Cpanel / WHM ......good luck

cPanel/WHM alone costs $25-30/m. The power of the server alone costs over $20/m. You can do the math I would agree with Douglas. Unless you're fine with an absolutely low end processor, then you can probably get something decent within your budget.

pagekeeper, If you are ready to compromise for VPS, providers are there with that low budget.
    Silicon
    jiltin.com

Quote Originally Posted by silicon2006
    pagekeeper, If you are ready to compromise for VPS, providers are there with that low budget.
    I am considering it, but im just worried it wont work on VPS, and slow all my other sites down, i have to run about 20sites. beside the program i want to run and install.

See here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=558203
    Ash.

Pagekeeper,

I think you are stuck. You need to increase your budget to $70ish like at LT. It's about your only solution, to be honest in my eyes.
    AS395558

What could i get for $95?

* AMD Sempron?
    * 80GB+ Hard Drive
    * 1GBMB RAM
    * Bandwidth: 1500GB / 2000GB monthly
    * IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable)
    * Private VLAN
    * Basic Resource Monitoring
    * CentOS
    * 100 mbps
    *99%+ uptime
    * Cpanel / WHM

Any recommendations?

im basing this on layeredtech's similar package.
    Ash.

Hosting 20 sites, VPS will not be sufficient!
    Try versaweb.net as they offer at very low price.
    But I do not have any feedback or review.
    Silicon
    jiltin.com

pagekeeper, you can manage the server yourself? If not, that budget needs to be raised to $130'ish then just to get a company like PlatinumServerManagement involved. There is a lot of work to do for a dedicated server.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Try doubling your budget if you really want Cpanel involved..if not..try getting a server with a free panel
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by silicon2006
    Hosting 20 sites, VPS will not be sufficient!
    Try versaweb.net as they offer at very low price.
    But I do not have any feedback or review.
    This is VERY bad advice as it is just plain wrong.

You can get what you need for about $100 with several providers just check the dedicated offers forum. The semperon will be sufficient provided none of the sites are highly cpu intensive tasks like large mysql apps.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

actually, i do run a forum, the database is about 60mb mostly posts not very busy as such.

I ordered a server from dedicatednow.com

Intel P3 1.13GHz
    512MB RAM
    80GB 7200RPM
    5 IP Addresses
    CentOS
    1200GB Bandwidth
    99.9% Uptime SLA

Sub $65

+ Cpanel / WHM $20
    + Fantastico $0
    + 100 Mbit Switch Port $10

Total $95

From the posts i read their support is good and the price is the cheapest i found for what i got / needed. i dont know wether its enough to run all my sites but i'll keep my reseller account for a while. Essentially, Douglas was right. The two reasons was because their upgrade options were good and their support are also good.

i have learned a lot about cpanel whm through my reseller account, but i dont know how secure a server though, recommend any tutorials im sure they have some on their forums..
    Ash.

Ash... securing a server isn't just following a few simple tutorials, or your home PC. I think you jumped the gun by ordering a server. You can ask DN to secure it for you, assuming thats part of their management deal
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    Ash... securing a server isn't just following a few simple tutorials, or your home PC. I think you jumped the gun by ordering a server. You can ask DN to secure it for you, assuming thats part of their management deal
    I didnt take management but i have asked for them to secure my server. Im sure its not as hard as you make it out to be
    Ash.

I didnt take management but i have asked for them to secure my server. Im sure its not as hard as you make it out to be
    Securing isn't hard, but it's also not their job if you didn't order it. If they secure it for you then they're being very nice, but you certainly shouldn't expect them to do it.

Securing also isn't a one-time thing - you need to perform constant updates, etc. or you're pretty much asking to be hacked.

So are hacks quite often? Im guessing they are more frequent on a IRC sever?

Is there a service that can harden the server and keep it secure? thats cheaper..
    Ash.

Is there a service that can harden the server and keep it secure? thats cheaper..
    Yes: management services, such as PlatinumServerManagement, or you could hire someone to do updates once in a while which would probably be even cheaper
    Im guessing they are more frequent on a IRC sever?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by pagekeeper
    I think that what he was getting at is that just following tutorials is not enough. You should understand what you are doing at each step and why, otherwise you won't be confident that all is well, you have less chance of noticing when something untoward does happen, and even less chance of knowing how to deal with an issue that you do notice. also, security is not by nay means a one-shot affair. Your server might be considered secure now, but new exploits could turn up tomorrow that it is vulnerable to.

It certainly isn't rocket science, but it is no walk in the park either.