Only one MYSQL table mysteriosly being emptied

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Hi all,

I have a strange problem. We host an e-commerce site and the site is hosted on a shared server with a reputable tech company. We have a problem of one main table being emptied at random times. This is our main table which contains 25,000 worth of product info. The problem does not occur at any particular time.

We have no scripts on the site which deal with empty or deleting rows. We have a local mysql database which we update and we have a script which runs once a hour which updates ONLY the updated changes. i.e we use a timestamp field to find the updated data and upload them to the website database using replace mysql query.

Any ideas where I can look to investigate the problem. The web hosting company is also looking into the problem.

cheers!

Is this a CMS that is well known? It is possible it is being exploited
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Hi there,

No it is not a CMS. It is a well handcoded frontend using a mix of two languages. Like I said the website itself has no delete or drop queries. So that for sure is not responsible.

Perhaps ask your host to revoke drop, delete, and empty privileges on your db if it doesn't interfere with your application and see what happens then
    Jacob Turner -- Ringnebula Systems
    Managed IT solutions for small business

Perhaps some joker's found an SQL injection hole in your scripts. Check the access logs at the time immediately before each disappearance for any interesting query strings.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I have checked the access logs extensively. Nothing unusual in them.