US car insurance question.

US car insurance question.

Background: My wife was driving & was hit from behind in the school parking lot. The 'perp' made like he was going to pull over but sped off. My son chased him on foot for about 600ft & took a cell-phone photo of his license plate. We filed a police report & the next day a teacher left a note with school police admitting fault. I have an estimate for $950 but can't get a police report with his identity until middle of next week.

Question: I'm used to 'no fault' insurance in Canada & I'm not sure how to proceed in the States. Do I contact my insurance or do we go thru his? Will it wind up costing me if I report it to mine or if we go thru his does mine still get notified?

Never go through your own insurance company. Go through theirs.

Once a police report is filed your insurance company will find out about it. But probably not in your case because you are in Canada.

Hopefully she was insured and/or she pays you back.

Did you get the police to arrest him for hit and run? It's at least a misdermeanor in every state.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Quote Originally Posted by music
    Once a police report is filed your insurance company will find out about it. But probably not in your case because you are in Canada.

Hopefully she was insured and/or she pays you back.
    Thanks for your reply. I moved from Canada to the US 2 years ago and am just not sure how it works here.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    Did you get the police to arrest him for hit and run? It's at least a misdermeanor in every state.
    I agree. If he did that in Canada too he would get points against his license or get it suspended.

I suggest:
    1) Filing a police report
    2) Pressing charges
    3) Contacting a personal injury lawyer to make sure all damages and medical bills are covered. Even low speed impacts can have muscle and skeletal impacts months down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by runwithus
    I suggest:
    1) Filing a police report
    2) Pressing charges
    3) Contacting a personal injury lawyer to make sure all damages and medical bills are covered. Even low speed impacts can have muscle and skeletal impacts months down the road.
    All this over $950.00 ...........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by music
    All this over $950.00 ...........LOL
    You won't be laughing when the person refuses to pay. Or turns around and says you backed into them. Or your back is sore from a low speed impact and you'd really just like a couple physical therapy sessions.

He said his damage was $950.00.

I would be crying if I spent a few thousand dollars, time and effort trying to collect $950.00. He is probably just happy his wife was not hurt and if the person who hit him pays for the damage it is a bounes.

The part about having medical problems would costs even more money.

Contact your insurance company. This should not raise your premiums because the accident was not your fault. Also, your insurance company works for you. The other guy's insurance works for him. The other guy's insurance may or may not be the one that pays you, but they are still his agent, not yours.

This should not raise your premiums because the accident was not your fault.
    My brother-in-law got his premium raised even though it was not his fault. When I heard that, I found it to be weird, but...

what you need to be careful about is using ANY insurance company. once you do that, it is going to show up on your carfax record. NOT a good thing when it comes time to sell the car.

your wife definitely should go see the doctor, you have no idea the injuries that could have occured that may not be evident for a very long time. leave the medical claim OPEN. being rear ended is one of the worst things physically speaking.

making a claim isnt always about the money part of it.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

i would go to my insurance. do not sue you will waste time and money.

You've received a lot of good advice in this thread. You should be able to keep your insurance out of this. Your rates should only increase if you end up having to file a claim with your own insurer. But the other insurance company is supposed to completely take care of you. When I called my agent he said to only open a claim if the other driver suddenly decides to stop admitting fault or if the other company won't pay damages.

Having been rear-ended pretty badly a week ago myself, I went to see a doctor and will keep the medical part open for at least a year. A friend's mom of mine was hit and starting getting symptoms three months afterwards. She settled six years after the fact for $150,000, but I think she'd rather have her health back than the cash.

And go after him for hit-and-run as suggested. What a jerk, hit and run is never acceptable.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Thanks guys. I did call my insurance to cover my **** as my policy says that I must report to them, but they said if I file with the other party's insurance they don't need to get involved. I have to wait a few days until I can get the police report to get his insurance info. He only reported to the police because my son chased him and got his license number even though he tried to weave thru traffic to escape. What a dufus, he is a teacher and has to park in that parking lot every day. My wife & son are fine. It's just a fender bender but seemingly minor damage can really add up $$$. Sometimes I miss the old days when cars had big freaking steel bumpers and no crumple zones.