Co-lo for dummies

I'm looking at doing personal test projects using space at a co-lo but I've never done anything with co-lo before and I was wondering does anyone have advice on how to get into it?

Here are the things I think I need so far.

IP and AS number from RIPE (If I do go ahead full steam, I'll need an AS number)
    Edge router
    Core router
    Server(s)
    Rackspace
    Transit

Hi!
    Well...if the contracts you have to sign are anything like I've seen..a lawyer would be a nice thing to have. Most colo facilities provide core routers...you would only be responsible for edge routing. Some colo places do not provide UPS..so add that to the list..maybe. Power strips come to mind..as does a decent hub.
    Cables..etc..etc..the list goes on..and..of course..duct tape! Well..maybe the duct tape is optional..but it's just so darn useful!

You are looking at install costs with some locations..some no install costs if you agree to be there at least two months. I'd spend some time here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm

And for goodness sake..drop those ideas of getting gear from Ebay..much of it is counterfeit. If you're going to be doing any volume..start a relationship with a distributor. I can't see how you could go wrong buying a small Cisco router to learn on..before leaving it at the colo...although there are router simulation software that will give you a head-start on learning how to config them..as do the manuals available from the link above.

I am working on a colo FAQ..it is about a week away from completion. However...if you have specific questions..like about the 95% billing rule commonly used..reply to the post with specifics.

I wouldn't consider a colo facility that is not close to a Starbuck's w/Wifi and a decent 24/7 restaurant..but that's me.
    Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 10-27-2006 at 01:43 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1
    And for goodness sake..drop those ideas of getting gear from Ebay..much of it is counterfeit. If you're going to be doing any volume..start a relationship with a distributor. I can't see how you could go wrong buying a small Cisco router to learn on..before leaving it at the colo...although there are router simulation software that will give you a head-start on learning how to config them..as do the manuals available from the link above.
    Thanks for the advice and don't worry, I'm not a whole fan of buying stuff off ebay and plus I know someone in a company who've recently upgraded their network so some of their old cisco stuff is no longer needed. I have a catalyst 2950 24 port switch currently just sitting under my bed.

I'll keep doing my homework and keep an eye out for your FAQ.

Need to make some plurals out of them, Edge Routers, Core Routers, Transits.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Hi!
    I'd drop the idea of a ASN number. I did a bit of digging today..and learned:

1. It costs $500/first year and $30/thereafter yearly

2. You've got to justify your case as to why you need it. I doubt very many people start with one.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1
    Hi!
    I'd drop the idea of a ASN number. I did a bit of digging today..and learned:

1. It costs $500/first year and $30/thereafter yearly

2. You've got to justify your case as to why you need it. I doubt very many people start with one.

Bryon
    I know its pricey but what I'm hoping to end up doing if this works out will involve peering at an IX's and one of the requirments of this IX is to have your own ASN. Other wise I'd settle for the IP's