Ah! Don't you love the easy fixes? :)

I know many of me..have had those "well..this was suppose to be done <insert>..but...<Insert original timeX3,4,6...!>

We all have had those days. Don't you just love the easy ones, though?

I downloaded more Java-related stuff yesterday than I believe I have ever one day, at least. I have got to believe these people really like to make things challenging to keep us on our toes! Uhhh.

It's works..all of it..but..!!! Oy!

I'll pass a few pointers to some of the newbies out there.

1) Logs can be your saving grace

Almost everything makes a log..or adds to a existing log. Even if there are no errors on screen..always check the logs.

2) Google is your best friend

do a google search on the entire phrase..remember...the more you give it..the bigger chance of finding a person who had the very same problem you did...and maybe a solution is presented

3) Use simple logic

My easy fix yesterday..I was installing Websphere Application Server on a vps...and this little gem came across the console:

..line 423 bc: command not found

Well...I still don't know (or care) what "bc"'s something that

yum install bc

all fixed..just like that. Sadly..99.9% of these are *not* that easy. Appreciate them when they do work, though.

4) I don't know about others...but..I have moved away from RPM installs as much as possible. Given the yesterday...between a *.tgz and a *rpm..I chose *.tgz...and saved quite a bit of time. Why? The docs were right there..front and center...and a solution to the missing rpm was there. Problem solved.

For others...I'll share what that was..for RHEL4 and/or Centos 4 IBM Java need:

xorg-x11-depreciated-libs.6.8.1.rpm <not exact name..but darn close

and you must use the IBM Java for Websphere..even EE5 Sun SDK/JDK will not do...which i have as well. Wheee!

I had to go directly to centos's mirrors for the last one..the duke mirrors I normally use didn't have it.

which leads to the last one:

5) Some mirrors do not have the same aware of that.

>>Oh! Well..#6

6) Take good notes

This is critical...and one of the things I am very, very serious about. I'll be darned if I'm not going to learn from my mistakes. However...

This is not the first time I have installed Websphere App Server..but something changed...these errors are completely new..I simply did not have them before... be aware of that was well.
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 10-27-2006 at 09:16 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer