Sitemaps Question

Just a quick question, i have an xml generator, I know i generate the xml sitemap for google then add it to my google sitemaps account, however does this xml sitemap have to be linked to from anywhere on the site?

If i make a standard html sitemap which is linked to, is there any set format, as long as I use an xml one aswell will it be ok?

Thanks

You know it depends on the web design of your site. As far as I know it must be at the top and at the bottom of the page.

but when you go to sites that have a google xml sitemap (you can tell by the way it shows in google) they do not link to the xml one they link to a standard html one, thats why im checking if its important to link to the xml one

Hi, I would also like to know how to do this! I have a .xml file with my site map but my site just shows the main page and the contact page on google, I would like it to show a list of all my pages plus a quick discription of each page like some sites do on google is this possible, how do you do this?

thats not what im asking i know how todo that you register for google sitemaps, stop hijacking my post, im asking a completely different question about where to link to it

There is a set format for Google site maps, and they are not linked from anywhere within your site (unless you really want to link them, not really advisable).

Google lays out specifically the XML format it requires, and there are a number of site map generators out there specifically for Google. Here's one I use from time to time.

Get a Google Webmaster account, generate and tweak your Google site map file and upload! That's all there is to it - the upload area is within your Google account.

BTW, your original post doesn't specify your site map tool is specifically for Google, which is probably causing some confusion within your thread. I was confused. Hence why I linked to a tool I use. But it's still a useful tool, so I'll keep it in this post.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

cheers the pm, and my original thread does specifically say Google

you answered the key question that is whether to link to it or not.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by deastwood
    thats not what im asking i know how todo that you register for google sitemaps, stop hijacking my post, im asking a completely different question about where to link to it
    I'm sorry I did not realise that this was not what you were asking, no need to loose your temper
    I had never heard about linking the actual site files to the sitemap and as I have already regestered for sitemaps, I presumed that this was necessary in order to get this working.

loose my temper lol, dude get with online language, it would be in capitals if i was annoyed!

don't worry anyway, i think the question has now been answered thanks the_pm