Hosting companies & support

I noticed that while many companies boast some sort of technical / sales support number, a number of different companies use the same phone number. For example, a google search for "(480) 624-2500" reveals a multitude of different hosting companies with the same technical support line. I'm wondering, would this be an extent of support contracted by the hoster, or would this be something to the extent of a hoster giving a technical support line for reseller accounts?

Has anyone experienced technical support from such a number, and if so, how was the support?

Actually, I have a sneaking suspicion that is GoDaddy in one way or another. Perhaps outsourced support. Why? Because that number appears on several domains registered through them with their whois protection. It's in Scottsdale, AZ -- guess who else is there. Lets see...who has a unlisted reverse number search?
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Actually, I have a sneaking suspicion that is GoDaddy in one way or another.
    I reached the same conclusion. It could be due to their reseller program.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    It could be due to their reseller program.
    Looks like it. On some of the sites that have that number it also has GoDaddy's right nav (my account, mail, and such). Just goes to show you that you can't hide your upstreams all the time.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

I also think these are GoDaddy's tricks. Very much looks like this.

Yet another vote for godaddy as that area code and number immediately looked familiar to me when reading your post.

GoDaddy.com has a couple of support numbers - the two that are on their website are directly for GoDaddy.com customers (ex: when you call "Thank you for calling GoDaddy.com..."). The other numbers, such as the ones displayed on their reseller pages (the one that you have posted) are "shared" numbers meaning when you call, you get a "shared" prompt (ex: when you call "Thank you for calling our Support Center...") - In other words, it is due to the fact that they would loose a LOT of money if they supplied each reseller with their own number - it's simply easier this way!

Now, lets move away from GoDaddy.com. Some other hosting firms out there, may have the same support number due to the fact that they are owned by the same, main company. For example, I have called 2 web hosting companies which both had the same number, and the prompts asked which company I was calling about. Once again, it is simply easier cost wise and resource wise for the company to do something like this.

However, in some cases, you may come across some web hosting companies that find a random support number from another company, and slap that up on their website and make you think that it is in-fact that companies. Then, when you end up needing support and you say the server is down... guess what? The company that you're calling is a completely different company and all of their's is up!

Long story short, if the companies do this the "correct" way, it's simply to save wisely on resources and costs.