So I have 2 linksys routers. 1 wrt54g and 1 wrt54gs.
I needed to temporarely connect 2 neighbooring houses together and was thinking WDS would be the cheapest method.
So, I'd flashed both of those routers with the WRT-DD v23 sp2 firmware and configured them in WDS mode.
It's working fine, as in both wired and wireless connections to each router are receiving an internet signal.
But there is a problem with the router in house1. The one wich has the cable modem attached to it.
It's the wrt54g one and there are two devices connected to it. My wired game console and wireless computer.
Every now and then the wireless connection dies.
I've been trying to find the problem and I think I found it, partially.
- When the problem occues everything starts to time-out. Even if the windows connection stats still says connected, 48mpbs, excellent.
- I've tried a signal graphing program, network stumbler, and there is no change in signal strenght when the timeouts starts.
- ping 192.168.1.1 -t, average response 1ms until the 'request timed out'
- after I reboot the router, everything goes back to normal. for 30-90minutes.
Now in the router interface itself, I'v found an interesting thing in http://192.168.1.1/Status_Router.asp.
"IP Filter Maximum Ports = 512" This is a hardcoded value and cannot be changed.
The right under this there is "Active IP Connections = xxx"
When I reboot the router, those active Ip connections are at about 60. When the timeout starts, it has reached 484 connections (95%)
What could those connections be?
- my game console is powered off
- I've got a fresh reinstall of windows media.
- no limewire, torrents or any other p2p apps even installed on my computer.
I've just rebooted the router 3 minutes ago.
It had 80 active IP connections at boot, and now is at 133.
In the router's security options I have:
- Spi Firewall = enabled
- Anonymous Internet Requests = blocked
- Filter Multicast = checked
- Filter IDENT (Port 113) = checked
- DMZ = disabled
I'm completely clueless abou what could be the problem.
The second router in house 2 has 1 wired pc attached to it and one wireless. It has currently 69 active ip connections and it's uptime is 8 days.
Why exactly is my main router choking?
having to reboot it every hour starts to be a little annoying heh