Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Mediatemple Grid Server - Short Review

Well, I just moved a client site from standard shared to the new grid server. I know you donīt like long reviews, so let me keep this as short as possible.

• Migration tool to transfer from the old server to the new server is excellent - only 1 change in a configuration file was needed to have it working as before.
    • Mediatempleīs control panel looks fantastic, but itīs very slow.
    • Same goes for the new AJAX webmail, sure itīs cool, but way too slow for me.
    • Some very cool features in the new control panel, for example, you can change whether you want to use PHP version 4 or 5, Safemode off or on, and much more, this is very cool.
    • Best of all, my client site is faster than ever !
    Would I recommend this ? Yes, if you donīt mind a slow control panel.

I may write some more later, as Iīm still testing everything.

Thanks for the short review!
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

Thanks Alpha.

Keep us posted on the speed of the site.
    Hopefully MT can speed up the CP and webmail.

Arrow Q

If you have any questions about the control panel or other, just ask. I may show some screenshots at some point.

Old customers are given the option to select a "light" version of the Grid Server for about 80 dollars a year. Iīll see if I can post the features on that.

alpha10, thanks for a short review and inform us about your testing of the new server.

Arrow Account Center

Hereīs a view of the new Account Center - as you can see, very attractive and easy to use, with lots of options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mediatemple.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by alpha10
    Well, I just moved a client site from standard shared to the new grid server. I know you donīt like long reviews, so let me keep this as short as possible.

• Migration tool to transfer from the old server to the new server is excellent - only 1 change in a configuration file was needed to have it working as before.
    • Mediatempleīs control panel looks fantastic, but itīs very slow.
    • Same goes for the new AJAX webmail, sure itīs cool, but way too slow for me.
    • Some very cool features in the new control panel, for example, you can change whether you want to use PHP version 4 or 5, Safemode off or on, and much more, this is very cool.
    • Best of all, my client site is faster than ever !
    Would I recommend this ? Yes, if you donīt mind a slow control panel.

I may write some more later, as Iīm still testing everything.
    Thanks for the quick review - (mt) seems to provide such a great service (based on what I've read by other client's that have posted here). I'm glad you found a hosting company that fits your exact needs - be sure to keep us updated in the future!

Has the CP and webmail started running any faster. I would love to see some screens of the webmail they use.

Is your site still running fast?

I want to sign up for gs but I want to make sure everything is running fast and consistant. Plus I am waiting for MT to allow multiple db usernames.

Hi Everyone,
    Alpha10 - We released some upgrades to the accountcenter and webmail late last night. We've gotten some feedback on the accountcenter being sluggish...A lot of it was from the 8,000 new domains on the (gs) so quickly. We also pulled another app/process that was running on the accountcenter box to its own dedicated box.
    I haven't logged into my account today, but if you do I'd love to hear that its working faster for you.

Cheers

Alex, thanks it helped a little bit, but the Account Center is still very slow compared to the competition.

The site is very fast though, and thatīs what really matters.

alpha10 - I'm in my account and I do notice that some tools take a second to load. If you want, email me with a hit list of your worst offenders and I'll look into it.

Cheers,
    Alex

A hitlist ? Itīs everything in the Account Center that is slow, should I start a ticket about this and give you the ticket number so you can look into this ?

Still slow, I will report this !

Alpha 10 - Sorry. I've been trying to stay on top of this stuff internally (the boards have been busy)....send in a ticket and put my name in it as well. If you haven't already done so...email me a ticket number -thanks!

Must be time to plug some more computing crystals into "the grid".

Wow, I just moved there a week ago and it has gotten progressively slower. It takes 14-26 seconds to load my Wordpress admin page and it took about .7 on my last server. At first I just figured it was a high load day but this has been going on for almost 48 hours now. Some of my viewers have e-mailed me thinking my site was down.

They do have courteous (if slow) support however and I've been impressed with that. I just hate the thought of having to move yet again and hope, no pray these are just short term growing pains...

Pros:
    1) Shell access (moving large sites there would be damn near impossible without)
    2) Good control panel (I haven't seen any speed issues with this personally as others have mentioned)
    3) Friendly support

Cons:
    1) Slower than molasses. Network and server wise.
    2) Slow support
    3) No forums to have customers help other customers

Mail sent with ticket number !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex (mt)
    Alpha 10 - Sorry. I've been trying to stay on top of this stuff internally (the boards have been busy)....send in a ticket and put my name in it as well. If you haven't already done so...email me a ticket number -thanks!

Seems like good support.....

Greetz,

John

<< Signatures are to be set up in profiles >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-03-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Gibson

Greetz,

John

i got pre-sale inquiry reply from them after 2 days ... 2 DAYS ...

i was hoping GS was going to be what I was looking for. I was very excited after listening to their podcast with Mike Arrington.

Any update on this issue? Also have you discovered any other problems?

MySQL connections fail about 90% of the time for me and when I do connect, it takes 10-15 seconds to return the result on a relatively small query (Wordpress admin page for example). I opened a ticket with them about 6 hours ago but nothing yet.

As they transfer over older customers and new customers like me bite on the marketing spiel, I can only expect it to get worse. Everytime I move, I tell myself this is the last time, lol.

thanks Alpha 10. I got your ticket number.

Capnqwest - Send me a message with your url. I want to check it out. Out of curiosity, are you running some WP plugs-ins or have some external calls to other domains? Our WP user who did the massive digg challenge the other day had 13 externals calls and turned of WP cache and WP broke before the (gs) did.

you can read all about it here: http://www.basugasubakuhatsu.com/blo...s-stress-test/

There have been some tweaks we've done to MySQL so you may have had some hiccups...but it shouldn't be like that! Contact me

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Gibson

Greetz,

John

<< Signatures are to be set up in profiles >>

Until you check this thread, where they just bailed because too many people were having issues every single day.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=555581

or this new thread detailing issues
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...t=media+temple

Personally, I found their support a delightful mix of ignorance and arrogance. Which surprised me, since things went down so regularly I would have expected they had enough practice to get good at it.
    Last edited by chet; 11-03-2006 at 10:09 PM.

We've been reading every single post and have reached out to some of the users here. Chet, send me a message with your former account number and I'll review the tickets you were talking about before you closed your account. I learn much more from vocal unhappy customers than silent ones.

We have not posted for reasons such as we're addressing issues with updates internally, some of the posts are re-treads of internal tickets, known issues, etc.

Some of you who are on the grid should be seeing the payoff of our silence this week while we've been working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast