Site5 server load

Server load of Site5 "leucothea" (leucothea.site5.com/~netadmin)

225.63 - 323.46 - 219.19

(See attachend image)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails site5_leucothea.jpg  

That certainly doesn't look too good. Looks like they've lost their minds with the new $5 plan they are offering... 55gb storage, 5TB bandwidth...
    Last edited by xxkylexx; 10-26-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Only 5TB of transfer? I'm dissapointed i wont pay that much for any less then 20TB of transfer.

But in all seriousness, it's played very smart. You have to pay at least 1 years worth in advance. Any less and it's $50 per month. Since they can make interest off it, it's not worse then dreamhost giving a year for free(well $20) and then charging yearly.

Wow that load is incredible, by the look of it I am sure it has had negative effects but can you verify that it has actually effected your sites performance?
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Another new ridiculously low priced plan? When will they learn. They are constantly overloading their servers yet they won't stop there, every week they get a new plan to beat their previous weeks plan.

what's funny is they say "NO OVERLOAD SERVERS" on there site, but then why is the load super high

The only way to make any money with plans like that is to overload them....
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Another new ridiculously low priced plan? When will they learn. They are constantly overloading their servers yet they won't stop there, every week they get a new plan to beat their previous weeks plan.
    The last month they adquired +1000 hosted domain, as long as they keep this rate, I don't think that they are going to change anything.
    Althrough some people may complain for their services, seems likes their business model works well for them.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Are you certain thats not just an inflated number due to backed up IO requests?

A backed up IO from a bad path to a disk can definately do some major damage to the LA without having *too major* an issue with speed . If it isn't somehow related to something like that.... WOW

The advantageous part about this type of marketing is that the game can take quite a while, so the projected value can keep on increasing without much use of imagination or creativity. At this rate, it might still take a good number of years to reach into the realm of Yottabytes.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    That will take another 10 to 15 years,
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Unusual to see such a high sustained load - with even the 15 minute average over 200 the server was apparently fairly stable. That and the fact that phpsysinfo worked at all suggests that maybe this isn't quite as bad as it looks. Could be low-priority background processes - all cron jobs are now supposed to be niced.

As for the new plans "5Tb of freakin' transfer /m" they're no different to the old ones - with unspecified resource usage limitations you can make up whatever numbers you want for disk and transfer (except "unlimited" that's taboo!)
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Dont ever consider site5, today I got my site suspended because my site enables hot linkings in fact there are non images that are hotlinked, all my site images are hosted at photobucket.com My site is pure static html and only consume 2.5gigs per day. Support is crap, they dont know what they are doing. I'm seeking compensation from them. Is there any chance I can sue them over this? All my files are intact now and I want them to proof me any images that are hot linked. Not even in awstats or webalizer shows images that consumes high bandiwdth. I'm sure I can win this one.

Due to their 5TB plan, the server load and the lack of (good) customer support I don't think you will have a chance at even getting your money back. Best thing is to vent in forums like this one (preferable with proof(s)).
    -Mr Bister

I joined site5 2 years ago when they were good. But now I see websites go down more than ever. I have a website on http://florida.websitepulse.net/uptime/S5677I9161.html and http://florida.websitepulse.net/uptime/Z7757I9161.html Yes, a freaking 99.2% uptime. I claimed a dollar from them last month compensation and this month I couldnt claim as they say I already have it last month. I think they care less for their existing clients when they're growing big. Loosing a client is not a big deal for them and now they're trying to lure new customer to their overselling plan. They're greedy enough.

Ok, semnai server is down again %#@#%#! This has went for months. I just want to go to their office and made an extreme complain to them.

http://florida.websitepulse.net/uptime/Z7757I9161.html

They even claim to have ultra low number of sites per server!

Quote Originally Posted by solidghost
    They even claim to have ultra low number of sites per server!
    Number of users doesn't matter.
    With a script of only a few lines, we can use up 100% CPU.

In other words, you only need one bad neighbor to experience trouble in shared hosting.
    That's why it's very important to educate yourself and your neighbors about "resource conservation".

If everyone uses resources efficiently, there would be less slowdown, and the host will have less complaint/trouble ticket and it saves their money and make them more competitive.
    When they get more competitive, they can offer more for less.

So, please stop using slow buggy resource hog, like many of PHP applications.
    In a community forum of one host, I did one man campaign against abusive use of PHP (and resource abuse), and I think it worked.
    The host continued to increase what they offer and we had less problem (especially those who didn't use MySQL).
    We were pretty happy untill the host was sold to another one ....
    Last edited by extras; 10-28-2006 at 08:57 AM.

I wounder what they would do if someone did sign up for that plan and used every bit of the 55gb storage and 5TB of transfer.
    RackSurge - Superior Hosting Solutions
    Shared, Reseller cPanel Web Hosting w/ Fantastico, Dedicated, VPS Solutions, Ruby on Rails, PHP4 and 5, Tomcat.
    Premium Network - Level(3), Savvis, AT&T, PCCW Global, nLayer, and TeliaSonera

They'd ber cut off long before reaching 5TB. My best bet is they would complain about resource usage (CPU) and come up with a lame excuse....
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by Loopa
    Ok, semnai server is down again %#@#%#! This has went for months. I just want to go to their office and made an extreme complain to them.

http://florida.websitepulse.net/uptime/Z7757I9161.html
    I am also on server semnai and i know the downtime problems.
    According to websitepulse semnai's uptime is at %99.4

Sorry to hear about the current situation at Site5, they use to have good reputation here and I remember at that time they used to offer fairly priced plans as well.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Rock
    But in all seriousness, it's played very smart. You have to pay at least 1 years worth in advance. Any less and it's $50 per month. Since they can make interest off it, it's not worse then dreamhost giving a year for free(well $20) and then charging yearly.
    I disagree. If I knew how to get that kind of return off of investments (even without having to use that upfront money to purchase capital equipment) I wouldn't have to work.

Agreed.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

I claimed a dollar from them last month compensation and this month I couldnt claim as they say I already have it last month.
    I don't follow their logic. Is there any? Did you try to argue with them on that?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I don't follow their logic. Is there any? Did you try to argue with them on that?
    I'm just about convinced that Site5 has eliminated all logic in their hosting plans. Maybe with all logic removed it will ease the loads on some of their servers (joke).
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Their bussiness motive is simple, they don't care if you decided to leave their hosting service because they have new client signing up everyday. Once you're on their contract, you can't do anything but to take it as a loss. Their support is going from worse to worst, they hardly solve issue with you. If you want a reliable hosting, I wouldn't recommend it to you. I would go with quality host like hostingzoom and hostgator

What the hell, at that load, shouldn't the CPU pop?

thinking of goin with site5

The $5 seems interesting, until i started reading this forum. I am currently looking for a new host that provides fast page loads(php). I am caught between site5 and hostingzoom/resellerzoom.
    I am thinking of site5's multisite & resellerzoom's advance1 package.

I am tryin to run an online community website, which will require ffmpeg and php5 & ruby on rails.
    So which one do you think is a better choice? or are they any other suggestions?
    Buget is up to $25 right now, but it will increase overtime which I then plan to move to a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by avi123
    I am thinking of site5's multisite & resellerzoom's advance1 package.
    IMHO, Site5's $5/55GB/5TB plan is an absolute joke...almost an insult. That is EXTREME OVERSELLING, and yet they claim on their homepage to offer "uncrowded servers". It just doesn't add up. I wouldn't touch that plan with a ten foot pole.

If you're budget is $25, there are lots of other hosts to consider. Don't be lured by huge space/bandwidth numbers, because they are rarely realistic.

Can you suggest any?

If you use dedicate server hosting I think all of your problems will be solve. Unless you with suck company. I know a good dedicate server hosting is midphase. I use them for 2 years and without a hitch. I also heard about rackspace, but rackspace price is extremely high.

Quote Originally Posted by avi123
    Can you suggest any?
    I can't really recommend any shared host in particular. Best to seek out current customers of your potential picks and chat with them.

I left Site5 and went for a dedicated server with LayeredTech. So far it has been absolutely perfect. If/when you need a dedicated box, it's worth considering.

i just realise site5 had enter the "ridiculous pricing" war. $5 for 55gb space and 55 domains look really attractive to me.
    The load do look really bad. 200+ load almost can make any website crawl.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by MxHub
    i just realise site5 had enter the "ridiculous pricing" war. $5 for 55gb space and 55 domains look really attractive to me.
    The load do look really bad. 200+ load almost can make any website crawl.
    You are joking right? I hope you're not really thinking it's a good deal.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Are you kidding? Its a perfect Business Plan. They get 1 Year Upfront > Client get overloaded server > Clients leaves > Another client with 1 Year Upfront > Client get overloaded server > Clients leaves > Another client with 1 Year Upfront ...
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNetHosting
    Are you kidding? Its a perfect Business Plan. They get 1 Year Upfront > Client get overloaded server > Clients leaves > Another client with 1 Year Upfront > Client get overloaded server > Clients leaves > Another client with 1 Year Upfront ...
    Nice. But even there you haven't appreciated the full brilliance of this marketing plan. Because before each client leaves they post a series of complaint threads on forums everywhere - just like this one. And many more suckers potential clients see "55Gb for $5"... Mmm -- great deal!
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNetHosting

Good strategy there. However, my angel inside me tell me to be honest and geniune in business.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific