View Poll Results: What language did you write your first program in?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Assembler

6 7.50%
  • Basic

38 47.50%
  • C/C++

6 7.50%
  • Pascal

7 8.75%
  • Java

4 5.00%
  • Other

19 23.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your first program language

What language did you write your first program in?
    Europe Trade Ltd -:- invest online with no minimum balance

I did it with basic

BBC Basic. Revision 3 IIRC. Them were the days....

Compared to a lot of the 8-bit systems implementation's of BASIC, Acorn's (the makers of the Beeb) was surprisingly useable. You could use proper variable names (I can't remeber if it was the comador or spectrum BASICs (or both) that had a limit of two characters for names), decent procedure/function call & return semantics (so you very rarely needed to resort to GOTO/GOSUB), and a powerful little multi-pass assembler built in for good measure for those of us who liked to dabble in the black arts.

If this thread is for curiosity, I would add the computer you began in too...

My case is Basic in a Commodore-64. Later, GWBasic from Microsoft in a PC XT

C funnily enough - needed to use it to fulfill some tasks, so learnt as i went along..

My first programming language was Pascal, after that was Assembler, and only then C and others...

There was a time, when I wanted to create my own operating system, so learned asembler.

Several years after, I had a working OS with GUI with VESA mode in 1024x768px resolution, mouse, multitasking etc... Won a contest in KTU university (Lithuania) with this OS when I was 12 grade schoolar.

And now...now PHP is my beloved scripting language

I used some of the first apples - back when they were all one piece - keyboard and monitor and drive. HA! Black screen - green letters that would cast a serious green glow in a dark room. Programmed on them when I was in Jr. High.

basic on the atari 800

nnormal - aging yourself a bit there as well aren't you?

oh my, long time since i've first programed :p

i'd say qbasic 2 on the old 386 pc of my mother ...

nnormal beats me by a couple years.

Microsoft MBASIC and Digital Research CBASIC running on the CP/M OS.

Good ole 4.0MHz 8bit fun.

Basic all the way, with one of these bad boys (Timex Sinclair 1000).
    <Old person voice>
    Back in my day, sonny, we didn't HAVE programs, we had to write our OWN. With NO manuals, and NO debuggers!!
    </Old person voice>
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Java here.

My first language was Basic too.
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

Basic on ZX Spectrum 48K

They made us use Hypercard @ school for the intro programming class T_T.

I'd be curious to really know who selected assembler as the 1st programing language he learnt

My first language was mirc's scripting

G
    PutFile.io — Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

Basic - I think it was the Atari 2100.

I spent a summer making a game but stopped when I couldn't reliably do collision detection. There were no hard rives back then so you had to switch 5 1/4 floppies after the intro.

Boy how things have changed!
    Affordable Business Web Site Hosting by Geo Redundant Hosting

After looking at oldcomputers.net I remember using the Atari 800 (http://oldcomputers.net/atari800.html). I think that one had - get ready- a cassette drive! I remember playing Frogger in the equivalent of an audio cassette.

But I know I had a later Atari model and I think that is the one I programmed in.

<edit>
    I just scrolled down on the link above and saw the one I had, an Atari 800XL.
    Affordable Business Web Site Hosting by Geo Redundant Hosting

hey, I started with assembler, for intel 8088 (IBM PC XT)
    I was 15 yrs old that time, and I wrote my first virus using just DOS debug program, it was a simple com virus, that append it's code to .com program and added jump in the first 3 bytes of the file.
    You gotta love Real Mode OS like DOS.
    ■ Need an eNom retail/reseller account? PM me

If you consider PHP scripts programs then I guess it's php. Otherwise it would be C++. Anyone who votes for assembly is hardcore

Visual Basic 6 - had to use it in a college project.
    it's gotta be the easyest (how the hell do you spell easiest? << i think thats right) programming language arround.

Basic on a C64. It was mostly about typing my name thousands of times Few peeks and pokes.

Basic on the Commodore 64. Those were the days. I still have some floppies and cassette tapes with my original programs on them. They're useless now, but I can't just throw out months of work.

One of my first programs was an alarm clock. I left my computer on all night just to wake up in the morning to my own alarm clock.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

i did c++ .

My first language was assembler, too. And I still prefer it to everything else. I was a hardware guy back in the day and had no need for anything else. I started on a 8088 my boss gave me but then built a Z80 wire wrap board from scratch.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    I was a hardware guy back in the day and had no need for anything else. I started on a 8088 my boss gave me but then built a Z80 wire wrap board from scratch.
    Those were the days. I built my own Z80 system too, just a very basic one, then in the Apple II days I was going to build another one myself, but at that time it was getting to be cheaper to buy the final product.

I still have Z80, 8080, 8088, and 6800 CPU's if anyone needs one. Even have some whopping 256 Byte memory chips still in my cabinets.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

Assembler on various m6800 machines, Commodores, AppleIIs, Amigas etc. PHP is a scripting language, for people answering PHP

Poor show that only 4 people answered Assembler

Either your cool or you're not.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

I did some "logo" programming using Thomson TO7 first when I was 8. Then I learn A BIT of basic, and started to learn assembly in 68000 on the atari computers. I did about 7 years of that, up to hight level interface programming (the famous GEM with AES and VDI). Then I did a bit of C. Now I do mostly sh and php scripting...

The older I get, the slower is running the language !

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

My first programming was on TI's calculator, and logic ICs.
    Then, a tiny bit of tiny basic.

After that, I learned 8080 (Z-80) assembly (hand compiling, writing to memory with binary switches....).

I learned to program when my college gave a short non-credit course in programming their one digital computer which was an IBM 650 and farily obsolete at the time. They started us off in machine language and right now I can't remember if I ever ran any machine language programs. Next we learned assembler and I did do a fair amount of programing in that. The main machine was one relay rack and the floating point proscessor was another one next to that. It had a whole 2k of drum memory and of course the input was by punched cards. Running fortran was a big hassle since it took 3 card decks to get it up and running. I did do a lot of fortran programming on an IBM 360. Since then I've used more languages than I want to list. Guess that I'm just a really old fart.

Some strange form of Basic on a lil Tandy. God I miss that...even got it to show colors.

Ah my first loves first the Commodore PET then the first computer I owned a Commodore Vic-20 both with good old basic.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

QBASIC. After that, I learnt C++. Now I am allergic to it

*sigh* those days...
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was the suspect. --Steven Wright

I did Basic first.

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost
    I did some "logo" programming
    Ahh, remebered memories. I take back my "vote" of BASIC as I now remeber doing a little logo - well, the sub-set there-of that is "turtle graphics". At primary school there was a little remote controlled thingy with a pen, that was controlled by little logo programs intepreted by a BBC Micro and sent to the unit which was attached to one of the I/O ports. We write simple scripts to get it from A->B avoiding obsticles, or draw patterns.

Cobol. ack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast