Web hosting switch (Gemstream problems) - HostGator?

Our small business has had a lot of problems with our current web hosting company, Gemstream. The web and e-mail services are down a fair amount of the time. Tech support is only by e-mail, and questions are only answered overnight. In addition, we are unable to use the SMTP service, as it has repeatedly been blacklisted. We have contacted Gemstream about the blacklisting, and the service has been restored a few times, but it always gets blacklisted again after a few months. So, we have given up and just all share our local DSL provider AT&T's SMTP service.

The last straw is that, recently, we have been losing many incoming e-mails that have file attachments on them. I did a number of tests where I sent e-mails from my various personal e-mail accounts to both my business (Gemstream-hosted) account and other personal accounts. While I would receive the e-mails at my other personal accounts, they would never be received at my business account, and there would never be an error message sent back to the account from which it was sent. Loss of e-mail without any error message to the sender is very bad for business.

To make matters worse, when I contacted Gemstream about this, they claimed that a few other users on the same server were using too much disk space and bandwidth, and that they would take care of this. I assumed that they meant other users. Unfortunately, they deleted a Sent mail folder of one of my colleagues here at work, and the entire Inbox of another colleague, even though we were well under our shared disk quota!

So, first, I would like to warn others that Gemstream is to be avoided. More importantly for us, I am looking for a new web hosting company. As other newbies have stated in this forum, there are an overwhelming number of choices with a great deal of confusion. I thought I had decided on Host Excellence until I saw a bunch of negative comments. Then, I thought I had decided on Bluehost until I saw a whole new bunch of negative comments. Then, I thought I had really made a final choice of HostGator until I saw the very recent thread saying that while their web page hosting was very reliable, their e-mail was not very reliable. Arggggh!

My company has a relatively simple web site. It is less than 100 MB with nothing more than some simple animation, and I think it currently gets about 2,000 hits per month. It is VERY important that e-mail works very reliably. Additionally, we want IMAP support with good webmail access. Although I can see that most people on this forum do not like to post specific host names, I am fishing for some guidance. We are certainly willing to pay $10-20 per month.

slinke, maybe it'll be better for you to have a free hosting? You know your budget is not very high for a chargeable hosting.

Then, I thought I had decided on Bluehost until I saw a whole new bunch of negative comments.
    They admitted they're having some growing pains. While this is not something to be overjoyed about, it can be (hopefully) just a temporary situation.

...I saw the very recent thread saying that while their web page hosting was very reliable, their e-mail was not very reliable.
    While that might have been the case (I don't recall the thread/post), you should keep in mind that it can very well be just a problem on that specific server.

slinke, maybe it'll be better for you to have a free hosting?
    He's looking for highly reliable email service. I don't think free hosting is the answer.

$20, and even $10, can certainly get him stable hosting, especially since his space and data transfer requirements are quite reasonable.

IP blacklisting remains a problem in a shared hosting environment, since all it takes is one user doing nasty things to be listed again.