domain names and name servers

I have a domain name for my professional business website. lets call it probiz.com (not my domain it's just purposes of this thread)

it goes to name servers ns1.probiz.com and ns2.probiz.com I have it registered at the same place I bought my VPS from (and my DNS server is on that VPS)

becasue of this particular host let my server go offline 3 times this WEEK (one of them was a brief downtime, none the less it's bad for business) I plan to buy a VPS from another company (who offers free domain names with their VPSs pretty cool) So i was thinking this would be the chance to buy a personal website domain name I've been considering buying, becasue it's free ya know. lets call this personalsite.com

all the contents and uses of my old VPS wil be transfered to my new VPS (and it will be used for both my personal site and my professional site (my personal site will receive little to no traffic it's just for the purpose of showing PHP script examples I've made to people etc)

this VPS will run a DNS server, Mail Server, and Web server. Usually when you don't transfer your domain the other option is to update your name servers of your domain or whatever. In this case I'm making a new domain and updating the name servers of my old one. the thing is I don't want it to be like this.

I want to keep probiz.com going to ns1.probiz.com and ns2.probiz.com and personalsite.com going to ns1.perosnalsite.com and ns2.personalsite.com (even though they would be going to the same VPS)

my reasoning is their totally seperate websites. I don't want people to see either of them on eachother's whois lookup etc. I don't want to have any affiliation between the two.

Is it possible to setup my DNS server this way? or what has to be done to do this properly?

All you need to do is to update ns1/ns2.probiz.com IP addresses at your registrar. And, of course, to properly setup your zone files.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

ie so this sort of thing (this is cut out from my DNS record off of my BIND DNS server for this domain) I don't know alot about bind, dns, or domains. I really just winged it to create this

$ttl 3306
    probiz.com. IN SOA ns1.probiz.com. admin.probiz.com. (
    38600 )
    probiz.com. IN A 00.000.000.01
    www IN A 00.000.000.01
    www IN A 00.000.000.02
    probiz.com. IN NS ns1.probiz.com.
    probiz.com. IN NS ns2.probiz.com.
    ns1.probiz.com. IN A 00.000.000.01
    ns2.probiz.com. IN A 00.000.000.02

probiz.com. IN MX 10 mail.probiz.com.
    mail.probiz.com. IN A 00.000.000.01
    00.000.000.01 being the IP to the current VPS i have (and 00.000.000.02 is a secondary IP to the same server, not sure if it's even neccesarry)

when i get my new VPS at the new company I would just change where the IPs 00.000.000.01 and 00.000.000.02 to the IP(s) of my new VPS? (btw my dns server wil be hosted on my new VPS i'm not sure if i stated that or not before)

and i leave the domain registered to the name servers ns1.probiz.com and ns2.probiz.com under the domain name control panel thingy

I wouln't accept any free domain with hosting offers if I were you. I'd register my name with a registrar and point it to your hosting servers.
    Signature Under Construction.

yeh im still debating that, the thing is I just want a domain so i don't have to use like probiz.com/personsite or anything (for showing people examples of my works)

even if they do steal the domain it wouldn't really be a loss for me. Of course what if I decide to make something of the site later on down the road, then the domain actually means something.

I went ahead and spent a few dollars purchasing the domain elsewhere. I forgot how i got my first domain to use its own name in it's nameservers. im trying to do it again

ie have the name servers of newdomain.com be ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com (it's how i have my first one setup) everything i try to set them to their own name like that i get an error, but i can set them to different ns's

I'm not an expert on nameservers, but I think Stan and others can help you out with your questions.
    Signature Under Construction.

It seems he wish to keep both set of DNS to the same NEW VPS account.

So he will be setting ns1.probiz.com ( 0.0.0.1 ) & ns1.probiz.com ( 0.0.0.2 ) + ns1.perosnalsite.com ( 0.0.0.1 ) & ns2.perosnalsite.com ( 0.0.0.2 ) to go to the same VPS server.

Danny, I am not sure if you will be able to register new Nameservers using the IP Addresses which are NOT unique. Probably you will update / edit the ns1.probiz.com / ns2 with new IPs but the registration of other set with same IP might give you some error.

Lets wait if Stan or anybody else has any other idea about how to do it.

Please forgive me if I've misunderstood this issue.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

It's not completely 'politically correct', but on single IP you can have as many DN servers as you wish...

Your zonefile looks almost correct, except you'll need to add A records for both ns1... and ns2.probiz.com:

Code:
    ns1.probiz.com. IN A 0.0.0.0
    ns2.probiz.com. IN A 0.0.0.1
    Also, please make sure you'll create nameservers at your registrar.

If you'll have specific questions, feel free to contact me by email: stan [AT] domaindiary [DOT] net.

Good luck!

Stan,

I myself tried to register nameservers using the IP which is already in use and got "IP Address is not unique" error message. Thats why I thaught it doesnt allow.

But yeah I didnt try to get into deep to find out what does that exactly mean!
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Quote Originally Posted by CSDesk
    Stan,

I myself tried to register nameservers using the IP which is already in use and got "IP Address is not unique" error message. Thats why I thaught it doesnt allow.
    I have done this (multiple nameservers on one IP) on all registrars I've used (except of Yahoo, because they don't allow you to have child nameservers at all):

- NetSol;
    - Joker;
    - GoDaddy;
    - Directi/ResellerClub;
    - Tucows/EV1;
    - RegisterFly (their old, eNom system);
    - eNom;
    - NameCheap;
    - Stargate;
    - Moniker.