Thread: Setting up RAQ4

Setting up RAQ4

Hi all,
    I am on a 10mbit connection and I have a cobalt RAQ 4 and a linksys router. Just wondering is there anyway I can get this setup and working on my home conenction? I also have a domain name as well I would also like to get that working. I was told that I needed
    a domain name to act as a name server,
    - a decent ISP who can provide you with a block of 8 fixed IP addresses and who can register your nameserver's reverse DNS/PTR record.
    - a NO-NAT router (such as a Vigor 2600/2800) to translate the public facing IP address from the 'net to the RaQ.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Many thanks!

P.S, I do have a domain name registered.
    Last edited by narley; 10-25-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narley
    I was told that I needed
    *a domain name to act as a name server,
    *a decent ISP who can provide you with a block of 8 fixed IP addresses and who can register your nameserver's reverse DNS/PTR record.
    *a NO-NAT router (such as a Vigor 2600/2800) to translate the public facing IP address from the 'net to the RaQ.

Can anyone help me out?
    You do not need any of the above to run this, though it is easier if you have a fixed IP address. Setting up a router and DNS entries requires some skill, so if you don't understand much about Internet addressing and ports, then you'll have some challenges, but if you have a basic understanding, it's easy:

To make your system visible on the Internet at an IP address (rather than a domain name):

*Figure out how to get to the Linksys setup screen - It will be at some internal address like 192.168.0.1. Look at the manual to figure this out. If needed, reset the Linksys to factory defaults;

*In the LinkSys inteface, go to the tab called "Forwarding" and enter Ports 80 through 81, and map them to an internal IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.100). This tells the Linksys to send any requests it receives on Ext. Port 80 or 81 to that internal address, checking the "Enable" box. Also check the TCP and UDP boxes;

*Still in the LinkSys interface, go to the tab "Status" and make a note of your external IP address;

*Now, on the front panel of your Raq, use the buttons to set the IP address to the internal one you set above (192.168.0.100), set the netmask appropriately (almost always 255.255.255.0) and set the gateway to the internal address of your router (192.168.0.1 in this example);

*At this point, an internal request on your subnet to http://192.168.0.100 or an external request from the internet to http://<your-router-ip-address> should show you the Raq admin screen. Login as "admin" and complete your setup

If you want to refer to the system as "www.mydomain.com", then you need to go to a domain registrar (for example www.godaddy.com or (ugh!) www.nsi.com) and pick a name and register it, and then get your ISP to set up domain servers (or use www.zoneedit.com for free) and set up the name to point to your IP address (setting up DNS entries is beyond the scope of this note)

If you aren't on a fixed IP address, then you can use something called "Dynamic DNS", but that is way beyond the scope of the note here.

With either a fixed IP or a correctly functioning DynDNS setup, you can run dozens of low-volume websites on your Raq through a single IP address.

Good luck.

Thamk you very much for the information, I am able to go to my external IP address and I am able to get the Bluequartz login. To setup websites what is needed? Sorry, Im a total newbie at this lol.

Thamk you very much for the information, I am able to go to my external IP address and I am able to get the Bluequartz login. To setup websites what is needed? Sorry, Im a total newbie at this lol.
    You can download a manual for the 550 interface here:

http://www.rackaid.com/resources/raq...500-manual.pdf

Here's a brief:

Login as "admin" with either a password you setup earlier, an empty password, or the default password for your system. Click "Site Management" tab at the top (for the 550 interface, which I think BlueQuartz follows), then under "Virtual Site List" click "Add", enter the host and domain name (e.g. "www" and "mydomain.com"). Everything else is optional or should be already filled in (e.g. the network address).

-- gnet

Is there anyway of changing the admin's password? I jsut went to my ip address and typed admin and anyone could fook up me server.

Dont worry about the above...
    Is there a php code that you can input to a html page and upload it to the server and it will let you know what is installed ie php, mysql and so on?

Try a page containing:
    Code:
    <? phpinfo(); ?>
    it won't tell you everything, but it will tell you most of what you need to know.

Is there anyway of changing the admin's password? I jsut went to my ip address and typed admin and anyone could fook up me server.
    Once you are logged into the UI as the admin user, go to the "Personal Profile" tab at the top of the screen, then click the "Account" option on the left menu.
    http://www.lamphowto.com/ - LAMP and LAMP+SSL HowTo
    http://www.cobaltfaqs.com/ - Cobalt FAQs and HowTos

Hi again
    I had it running no problem under my external or wan ip 86.x.x.x but somehow it has ceased working. I have put the internal ip address 192.168.1.9 into the routers DMZ but still the same

If the front panel shows that it is still running, then you have some sort of routing problem. Also, I doubt whther you want the internal IP on the DMZ.

Yeah,
    I dunno whats causing it, im lost

Anyone know what it might be?

I'm sorry, but in order to help you you need to supply more information. Your problem is one of:

* a problem with your external connection;
    * a problem with your router, router setup, or a component you haven't mentioned, like a firewall;
    * a cabling or interconnection problem; or
    * a problem with the setup or hardware of your Raq

To address the external connection, hook up another computer on your LAN and ensure you can ping outward. Go to www.whatismyip.com and ensure your IP is what you think it is. Do a "traceroute" (tracert on windows) to understand your routing path.

To address the router setup, post that infomation here (take screenshots if necessary). Unplug your Raq and plug in a PC and configure it to the same address as the Raq -- can you ping the router? can you ping the WAN?

If that doesn't work, the problem is your cabling or router setup. Swap out cables and change router settings until it works.

To see if your Raq is working (and it should be, if the front panel works), get a crossover cable (or a simple hub) and put it on a network with a single PC, nothing else. Configure the PC to be on the same subnet as the Raq, and then try to reach it. Be sure you're using the correct ethernet port (if you have two). If you can contact it, it's not the Raq.

If you can't connect to the Raq over the network, get a null modem cable and connect a PC to the Raq using port 1 on the back panel, and connect through the serial port (you'll need to find the baud rate, etc somewhere, I can't remember at the moment, prob 38k). Goof with the terminal settings until you get a login. Login and run "ifconfig". Make sure the settings are what you think they should be. Try pinging the PC you put on the LAN.

In any case, post the Raq IP/mask/gateway and all of the router settings. Post the results of these experiments and someone here might be able to help.

Got it back online again
    Just have to figure out how to get my doamin name pointed to my ip address im using FreeDNS.afraid.org

doamin name mvdupe.org

Narley contacted me and he was ready to " just going to throw it in the corner and let it sit there" last I knew...

However...
    The answer here is to setup the dns records in the raq and register a nameserver with your register... then setup "dns records" using the auto dns or by hand. they need to point to your ip.