Looking for Canadian Hosts

Does anyone know of any good, cheap Canadian hosts? I'll be needing Perl v5, and PHP 4, webspace should be reasonable, somewhere over 50mb.

If anyone knows of any, please post them here.

Thanks,

Well you might try a search here in the forum for Canadian hosts and see if anything comes up.
    I know of two that are reputable
    http://www.pureideasplus.com
    http://www.tera-byte.com
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

method5 is a Canadian host I believe.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Define Canadian...

- servers are in Canada?
    www.radiant.net
    www.can-host.com

- owner / company is based in Canada, but servers elsewhere?
    too many to list.

- bill in Canadian $?
    www.radiant.net

Most, but not all, of us Canuks are running servers in the US where bandwidth is cheaper.

www.iwebhebergement.com (site in english or in french) used to host two of my site and it is really great. It's fast (from France) and the support is really good (less than 1 hour to get an answer).

The real bandwidth is arround 15GB/month.

Maybe it's what you are looking for ?

Hi there,

I am in Canada myself but hosting my site at two different U.S. hosts.

It's been my impression that Canadian hosts do not offer the network infrastructure, speed, features, and other such things as well as U.S. hosts do.

Hosters seem to have a lot more competition in the U.S. than here in Canada. Their market is much bigger so they might also have more of an incentive.

I don't know why exactly but Canadian Internet companies don't seem to give me the support and services that I can get from some very good U.S. companies do.

Just my impression from attempts to search for Canadian hosting and domain registration companies a while back.

Carlos

OT: win2k in Edmonton.

I was/am like Carlos - i don't think there is any good reason these days to worry about a host's location, as long as it's the same continent, their tech support speak the same language as you & they seem to have fast network access. however, after much searching for a good win2k/ASP host, I found that Alentus.com, based in edmonton, is amazing, and i have been pointing my clients there. they are not the absolute cheapest (starting around$10US), and they're not linux (they do have activestate perl), but their servers seem as fast as anyone else's for shared hosting. and they're really on the ball

The thing that I'm really interested in is the Canadian Prices. I don't really want to be paying American Dollars pretty much just because. I'd really like to start my own hosting company on my own servers but I really don't have the money. I was looking for stuff around $15 per month Canadian Dollars or have yearly fees of around $120 CDN.

It doesn't really matter to me where they are located, mostly price, web space, and the features.

Thanks to all of you who have sent me addresses of companies.

I agree Canada has nothing to offer by way of hosting.

No support no options and very expensive for what you get.

Go american and don't worry so much about the exchange rate, also there is no GST and or PST.

I am Canadian and I am with 2 hosts right now one of them posts on this forum hostculture.com. I am happy with them.

I neglected to mention that although one would think that the better exchange rate would save people with US dollars money on hosting it doesn't seem to work that way in real life.

Most Canadian hosters that I have looked at don't charge dollar for dollar. Making the exchange rate a way to save money.

Instead they seem to look at what U.S. hosters are charging and then charge a corresponding amount in Canadian dollars for the hosting.

Net result?

You don't really save much of anything.

For example if a U.S. hosting plan costs $10.00 US per month a Canadian hosting company will end up charging $15.00 CA. Which at the rough exchange rate of 1.50 CA dollars for each $1.00 US dollar results in no savings at all.

Carlos

Go with an American host.

I tryed to get a Canadian reseller account a while back, but the cost is way too high for what you get.

Come to think of it, 2 of my 3 current hosts are Canadian. Anyways, I havent found much of a difference between countries when it comes to hosting.

Try www.phenominet.com they are really good - theyve served me well over the past 9 months.

http://earhost.com/ is another host that I'm with right now. The owner is a Newfie but the servers are in the states.

Finally, dont worry about paying in USD, as what has been said about Canadian hosts charging more CAD$ is true. Also, the US dollar is falling like lead and is projected to do so for quite some time now.
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Canadian based hosting companies are alive and well. In fact, when you dig into it some of the larger resources on the web related to hosting come right out of Toronto.

Not all Canadian hosting companies base their prices on US rates (we don't). As to reliability & support etc the truth is the Canadian portion of the Internet (main pops) are as stable or more so than stateside. Part of the reason for this is there are fewer players (mostly the big telcos) who are involved in peering the networks and taking care of the gateways. If you watch Internet traffic over a period of time it is fairly rare for any of the major routers located in major centres (in Canada) to be down for any length of time.

Major carriers in Canada like Telus, Bell, Sprint etc are all very stable financially and this creates less likelihood of network disruptions to the main infrastructure.

Add to this, that Canada has committed heavily at many levels to be a world leader in technology. Canada has one of the highest penetration levels for high speed access.

As to support ( we can only speak for ourselves), we are still a small company and we are building our reputation on support and that is what makes the difference. Having said that there are many many good hosts in various countries and my thought is that being a good hosting company does not today or in the future depend on your geographic location.

Talking I respectfully disagree :)

I have to say that I deal with a FANTASTIC web hosting company in Canada (the Toronto area) where my songwriting resource, The Muse's Muse is hosted. This is a BIG site and includes things like streaming media, MySQL and loads of other bells and whistles operating behind the scenes (SSI enabled, etc.).

The company is called Samurai Consulting and is well worth checking out. Those of you who are familiar with the old Interlog ISP, the fellow who operates Samurai Consulting is an old tech-support employee of theirs by the name of Bryan Fullerton. He provides EXCELLENT and TIMELY customer support and I couldn't ask for better uptime.

All in all, I'd say they're well worth checking out. Hope this helps some of you!

All the best,

--Jodi
    Fat Cow Web Hosting
    http://www.fatcow.com/

Hi,

You can find many Canadian hosting companies that charge in CND funds but their servers could be anywhere. Like others have posted, server location shouldn't matter as much as some other issues (if I may be so bold as to suggest ) like package features, reliability, price, support, part-time job or student running a hosting business VS full-time hosting business, etc. etc. You'll have to prioritize which of these are more important for you because it's not often you can find everything you want in one company.

Good luck!

HS.c
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-20-2002 at 02:34 PM.