Reliable Shared Server Provider

Hello there

I am looking for a shared server provider to start my buisness, and I would need it in initial stage of my business, once traffice will increase as well as customer base I will be moving to dedicated server.

So what I need is 30-50 gb traffic allowance, and 10-20 gb hd space, if neccessary I should be able to upgrade traffic limit and hd space

however one most important things is - that I would NOT be tied to 12 month contract.
    Looking for Shared Server in UK

any suggestions would be much apprishiated

<removed email address>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 10-25-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Are you really going to use 10-20 of Space? or do you want to get it just in case?
    That's a lot fo a shared hosting provider.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You are probably not going to find a reliable shared host that is going to give you 10-20GB hd space, i can recommend some of the following hosts:

www.xilo.net
    www.unitedhosting.co.uk
    www.dataflame.co.uk

Hi

also take a look @ www.forum2.co.uk - this is a UK based hosting service provider forum. Its good for reviews too
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    You are probably not going to find a reliable shared host that is going to give you 10-20GB hd space
    Dreamhost is currently offering 200GB storage and 2TB bandwidth (obvious overselling, naturally - not that it's bad). My experience has been very good. They aren't UK-based though.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonekkt
    Dreamhost is currently offering 200GB storage and 2TB bandwidth (obvious overselling, naturally - not that it's bad). My experience has been very good. They aren't UK-based though.
    Tom, are you still working for the bad host ?

Do i need to pull every dreamhost complaint thread? Show all the downtime that occured, show how many times their mail servers get listed in rbl's, etc?

JTGizmo, you may look at these hosting companies in UK. Maybe you'll find something interesting for yourself: rackspace, fasthost, 1and1, webfusion.

Thank you all for the advise and info and answer to your question is - Yes I will be using 10-20gb HD space and it will most probably increase as I develope - thats when i wil get dedicated server.

there are some cheap US providers that Ive been suggested, as no in UK there isnt just any providers that can afford such space with affordable price. at least I havent found - i will check out the ones you suggested me.

I have also been advise wwwdotcirtexhostingdotcom(its not allowing me to link...) - its in US though, but very very affordable and meets the requirements.... - can anyone comment on that one????

my biggest fear with using servers abroad is 1. good reliability 2. Speed of connection, reason beeing - cos most of my visitors will be from UK.....

Mind if I ask what the space is for?

Been doing this for years and never heard of someone wanting that much space on a shared hosting account, it really needs to be on a dedicated.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    Do i need to pull every dreamhost complaint thread? Show all the downtime that occured, show how many times their mail servers get listed in rbl's, etc?
    No, you don't need to. Why? Because I know there are people complaining.

Show me a company that's never received complaints and bad publicity. You won't be able to. Besides - anyone who knows anything about business realizes unhappy customers are ten times more likely to voice their complaints than the happy customers are likely to voice their praise. Business 101 my friend.

Just because others have had difficulties doesn't mean I have. Like I said before, my experience has great.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Tom, are you still working for the bad host ?
    You can ALWAYS make me laugh.

You can ALWAYS make me laugh.
    Does your employer know that you are recommending DreamHost in WHT?
    Are they so imcompetent that you can promote their competitor without being noticed and loosing your job?

Are they recommending or just defending? Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JTGizmo
    my biggest fear with using servers abroad is 1. good reliability 2. Speed of connection, reason beeing - cos most of my visitors will be from UK.....
    Why not trying?
    Many hosts offer 30 to 97 days money back guarantee.
    So, you can test, compare and decide.

If you want a cheap server in EU, and if you don't care about security or raw log/stats,
    Servage.net can be a candidate, too.
    (Based in Germany, I think.)

When you try out, just make sure that you don't order a domain (often free if you continue to use them) with them.
    If you do, they will not return the domain registration fee portion, which can be higher than cheap registrer.

And if you really want to have reliable server, ask the host what kind of redundancy they have.
    Many hosts still run archaic single server setup, and it will go down for software/hardware updates and failures.
    (A good host will manage to keep these downtime relatively short and acceptabe for many people, though.)

For example, I think Servage has redundant web server/CGI/PHP, at least, even with their price range.
    Last edited by extras; 10-26-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Well simply put, shared server is starting point and where from I will be moving to dedicated server, reason is simple - shared server would cost me max of £30 a month ( at least I plan to ) where as dedicated server would cost me ( and I mean there is no point to take small dedicated server ) starting from 150£ a month . Big jump for me - as I am financing it from my own pocket, so till I can start generating revenue from my site - I need to go with shared server. as I said 10 Gb HD space woooould be ok, for starting, though once reached I would need to switch/upgrade.

Im not really in fear of using abroad servers, as long as they r reliable...