I usually don't look at web host rating sites (because many seem to be prejudiced), but while browsing around, I tried hostsearch.com, and was struck my webstrikesolutions.com, which offered a plan for ZERO dollars a month and $30 setup fee. I also saw they had 46 "votes" and a "score" of 9.7. I looked at some of the comments and they tended to be glowing (oldest about a year). People fall over themselves saying how great the suport is.

The short story is this: They have one plan, your choice of NT (includes ASP) or UNIX. It's $30 (the setup fee) the first year, then $84 a year thereafter. 50 MB web space and 2 gig transger. No advertising or banners. No commitment--leave any time. The only "bomb" I can see is $6 per gig extra bandwidth.

This seems to me to be perfect for a lot of low usage "presence" sites--e.g., my daughter would love to have her own site for her Sailor Moon stuff. Problem is--I don't want to be cynical--I don't see how they can make any money. Any one have any experience with them or other comments?

I think their plan looks alright, even pricing but if you are a little more serious about websites, I wouldn't go with them. 50MB is going to run out pretty soon as your website gets larger. Also, I do not see a way to upgrade plans.(They just charge you as you use more webspaces.) I don't like that way. Well after all, it's just my option.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Actually...

The $30 setup fee is their source of income.. you actually think they are using $30 worth of their services to setup JUST AN ACCOUNT FOR YOU?

Get the catch dude? =]

Sau me assi baimaan.. phir bhi mera bharat mahaan! (dont cry if you dont understand).
    http://www.egizmokid.com

Re: Actually...

Originally posted by egizmokid.com
    The $30 setup fee is their source of income.. you actually think they are using $30 worth of their services to setup JUST AN ACCOUNT FOR YOU?

Get the catch dude? =]

Still, $30/p.a. is $2.50/mo. Not much for Win2000 account with ASP and they have other stuff, too.

My concern as a user (excluding the fact that I'm a host) is how badly they'd have to oversell servers to make any kind of money at that pricing.

it looks to me that $84 and $30 put your annual cost at $114
    there are plenty of accounts available for $10 a month that will give you more space and bandwidth.
    peterv@m6.net
    http://m6.net - Fast, Reliable and Affordable Windows Web Farm Hosting
    maximum features - Multiple Domains, FP2000, Access2000, SQL, PHP, CGI,
    SSL, Unlimited emails...

Originally posted by peterv
    it looks to me that $84 and $30 put your annual cost at $114
    there are plenty of accounts available for $10 a month that will give you more space and bandwidth.
    peterv@m6.net
    Sorry if I didn't make that clear. $30 first year, $84 second year (and thereafter), so $114 for <B>TWO</B> years.

>Still, $30/p.a. is $2.50/mo. Not much for Win2000 account with ASP and they have other stuff, too.

You have to actually pay to be hosted under windows, you couldn't pay me to be hosted under it. *cough* look at what happened when webhostingtalk was on Windows

James R. Clark II
    Nethosters Inc.
    http://www.nethosters.com

Re: Re: Actually...

Originally posted by rapidtransit

Get the catch dude? =]

Still, $30/p.a. is $2.50/mo. Not much for Win2000 account with ASP and they have other stuff, too.
    Well, there are 435378 cheap webhosts out there charge anywhere from 20-45$ a year and yet offer all the "neat" features.

blueboxinternet.com is one of them.. I hosted with them once.. they are pretty good, especially with the kinda price they offer. But you better read their TOS (thanx kunal), it has some rather sneaky statements.

Sau me assi baimaan.. phir bhi mera bharat mahaan! (dont cry if you dont understand).
    http://www.egizmokid.com

Re: Re: Re: Actually...

Well, there are 435378 cheap webhosts out there charge anywhere from 20-45$ a year and yet offer all the "neat" features.

blueboxinternet.com is one of them.. I hosted with them once.. they are pretty good, especially with the kinda price they offer. But you better read their TOS (thanx kunal), it has some rather sneaky statements.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Not exactly a glowing endorsement, egizmokid. Maybe it does pay to pay a little more, yes? I've got four sites w/Webstrike Solutions and I'm very happy with them. You don't have to use a Windows server. Unix is also available. They have an unbeatable resellers plan also.
    -Bill