How much am I looking to pay?

I want a new comp for xmas, I am after the following. (I'm in the UK)

Good processor (Pls recommend one, one that wont be 'out of fashion' within a yr, would like a dual core one)
    2gb ddr2 ram
    Half decent graphics card (I dont play games really)
    40gb sata HD (I dont use up more then 10gb space)
    Don't need a cd-rw or dvd-rw either.

Just interested in a really good processor and good ram so its fast.

Also, if anyone wishes to recommend a place in the uk to custom build the pc that would be great.

I just bought a Intel E6600 chip, which is one of their faster dual core chips. The Extreme chips cost a pretty penny, so you probably don't want one. The price change for the performance gain is hard to justify.

Here are the parts I used for my overhaul. I took out the Intel motherboard and replaced with an NVidia-based board because of compatibility problems with the video card I selected. But if you get an ATI Video card, I would suggest the Intel board in that link. My friend has built 10 machines with that board and reports no issues.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Seattle, WA
    You're shootin' yourself in the leg if you buy a screaming processor and bucketloads of ram and then skimp out on the videocard.

Even if you don't game, alot of your performance is affected by your video card.

Ok, how about this for £500, the graphics card decent enough?

Processor: AMD64 Athlon X2 4200+ 1Mb cache AM2

Memory: 2.0GB DDR2 533mhz (2 x 1GB)

Hard Disk Drive: 200GB S-ATA2 3.0Gb/s 8MB buffer

Graphics card: NVidia GeForce 6200TC PCI-E 256MB TV/DVI

Windows XP Home SP2

Sound Card: Creative Audigy Soundblaster SE 7.1

Internet and Networking: Onboard 10/100 network card (Built-in)

Case: Compucase 6C5K

You should have an idea of how much you intend to spend on this system. Based on that you should ask someone for a quotation. You should definitely go for an Intel Core 2 processor. The cheapest ones from this family would be the E6300 or E6400 processors. For a motherboard, I would stick to one manufactured by ASUS. Depending on your budget, I can give you a list of some good ones. I am not sure if you'll be able to find a 40 GB SATA HDD. Even if you did, it wouldnt make sense because it would cost you more as compared to an 80 GB one.