Wifi deployment for a Hotel

Hello,

I want to put an access point, but i don't want an OPEN-NETWORK. I want guest ask receptionist for a PIN for wireless usage.

How to make an access-point interact with a mysql table with all Valid PINs?

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Ask there, they have always helped me with any networking problem.

Do it an easier, just get the customer to provide their MAC address when they sign in if they want access
    Walker

But, providing that most users won't know their MAC address, that's a no-go. Perhaps give out free CDs for access, that, when inserted, will walk the user through connecting, including the proper hash? Perhaps change this weekly-ish?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by UK-Networks
    Do it an easier, just get the customer to provide their MAC address when they sign in if they want access
    You could implement something like Chillispot and force people to fill in a login form. The username can be their assigned room number and the password can be generated at check in and given to the occupant at the same time the room keys are assigned.

If you want it really simple, just put a password on the network, and give them the password. But that is o-so-simple.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Wow, awesome link Tom, thanks for sharing!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

You're welcome, I love things that run off of live-cd's
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Try AntaMedia Hotspot

we've just deployed it in one of our hotels, working like a charm so far.
    We sell access by the hour/day, and if they'd like to purchase an hour/day, we just give them a automatically generated username and password.

It keeps track of everyone that's using it, how much they're using it, what they're doing with it etc

I actually work with a company that provides managed wi-fi and high speed internet access for hotels. Here is what you want to do.

First, you need a controller gateway. I strongly recommend Nomadix (www.nomadix.com). You can buy the AG-2100 from CDW. It will have everything you need to get started, as the nomadix has a built in user/authentication functionality. The AG2100 actually is a "HotSpot in a Box" solution, as it has built in access points, but it's running the same NSE softare as the larger AG3000 and AG5000. The main difference between them all is the number of concurrent users you can have on the system.

Next, get some 3com access points (or any other brand, we use 3com). They work great. Basically, just plug the access points in, and configure the SSID for the access points, and make sure the SSID matches that of the Nomadix.

If you want more control over the locations, you can tie the nomadix in with a RADIUS server, and then based on the RADIUS profile, you can control all sorts of variables, such as session limits, bandwidth up/down limits, etc.

Since the nomadix is a controller gateway, anyone that is not authenticated will automatically be re-directed to the nomadix login page, or a customized login page of your choice. This includes people on the wired LAN and the wireless.

Another solution for you if you are on more of a budget, is Zyxel controller gateways. They have a feature that lets you plug in a special printer, then press a single button and it prints out a user/password that is valid for however long you configure it for. So the front desk just presses the button, and a paper is printed with the login info, and it will expire in 24hrs, or a week, or however long. Since this is also a controller gateway, it serves both the wired and wireless networks.

Then you can get into other types of systems HPNA, Teledex, and VDSL connections for the rooms.

Doing wi-fi in a hotel, you don't want to go cheap with a home-grown setup unless you really know what you are doing, because todays business travellers choose their hotels based on their internet access. Some will sleep in the parking lot as long as their wi-fi works. (Well not really, but you get the point). A good wi-fi setup in a hotel will have every room seeing 2, if not 3 access points, all going back to the controller gateway.

I'm kind of passionate about this stuff now, since I've spent the past 6 months heading up a project development for a RADIUS server with custom front-end for managing authentication, bandwidth up-sell, and other things. Currently we have 50+ hotels on our RADIUS server, and are talking to other network partners about bringing their locations on board as well.

just another note, no need to design some system as others have pointed out there are also some good RADIUS servers and many business class AP's support RADIUS.

I agree with Aaron on the cheaper solution,
    Just buy a few ZyXel's, and hook up the printer that way.
    ZyXel's work great, I use one as a wireless bridge for my 3 mile network(one of my expiriments.)

Good luck!

-Jarrett

I am using Hotspotexpress India, which has Inbuilt RADIUS server,the plan creation, PIN generation and receptionist Management and i have also integrated this wifi billing with my hotel management software