Unhappy Texas Datacenter - Headaches

We've gone through a few datacenters in texas, and none of them have been good so far.

Currently we're on softlayer and are experiencing issues with them: at least one to two outages a month, and horrible routing with customers on providers like comcast.

We're looking into EV1 and ThePlanet - we have a dedicated box with Ev1 that has only gone down, over the past half a year, once because of a power outage - we never have *any* network issues with them, however their network is the only thing that concerns us - The Planet has more Tier1 providers and no cogent, while EV1 has cogent and a few Tier1 providers. We have boxes in Chicago with SF and NY with VoxRox. SF & VR have both had extremely reliable networks, with 0 downtime. We even went to ask VR if they could reccomend anyone, and they said they couldn't for texas, but for other locations they could.

Can anyone give me some reccomendations? How is the network with ThePlanet, uptime wise? SoftLayer support is great, but their overall network is giving us issues, and we are losing clients because of downtime issues on their end.

Please advise...

Thanks in advance

I've had good success with both EV1 and The Planet. The Planet does have a Cogent only product line, just for clarification.

I think Softlayer's stability issues are growing pains - they should adjust and remedy them soon. This is an unfortunate part of growing any business and has been seen on this board with many other providers.

All that to say this, I think you'd be happy with The Planet.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Yeah, not sure if i clarified in the post, but we really need all tier1 / non-cogent providers, because of our service it needs to be reliable and have fewer hops than cogent has.

Quote Originally Posted by -[OnTarget]-
    Yeah, not sure if i clarified in the post, but we really need all tier1 / non-cogent providers, because of our service it needs to be reliable and have fewer hops than cogent has.
    Then I think you'll be fine with The Planet. Their primary network is non cogent, but they do have a segmented network for folks who want unmetered servers and those are all cogent based.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Yeah I'll vouch for TP...I've had quite a few servers on their premium network side, and for abotu 2.5 years now have only suffered about 15 minutes of downtime. I get good speeds to them from anywhere.

Even the unmetered side is nice...its only cogent, but I've never had any downtime on the unmetered side.

I am on comcast 4mb line and have no problem w/ my softlayer server?
    || Josh Anderson - CVO A&M Hosting
    || A&M Hosting | Virtual Private Servers
    || US | UK
    || No overselling guaranteed

don't judge softlayer on such few arguments. I have been with them with like 5 months and the issues have only surged this month.

Maybe it's just bad luck. Plus the REAL headache is moving between servers.

I'd keep with SL.

We have space and servers at colo4dallas and we have no complaints so far.
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

Not meaning to spoil the party, but dedicated server providers are hardly an indicator of "Texas Datacenters"

You have to remember there are MANY here including rackspace's main one, and then there are many others, most mentioned here and then also a large amount of private and government datacenters.

Thankyou all for your input - and just to clarify, this issue with SL has been going on well over a month.

This topic has came up just last week. You may want to do a search.

We use Colo4Dallas and their network is reliable as well as power... No outages what so ever.

I would also recommend ColoGuys.com which is a provider we also considered.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Had cologuys previously, had a lot of network outages / issues. Although their support was top notch.

Colo4Dallas is in Texas. I heard they are good.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Yeah, back when I was interested, they were actually customers of Colo4. But that was a provider I considered. Just thought I'd throw the name out there for Texas based facilities.

Good luck with your search though
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

I assume the OP is a gameserver provider or my question would be why does it have to be Texas?
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

anyway if you want no downtime at all you can try rackspace but it will cost you 100 times more

I was with theplanet for a while, and I'll never go back. I get a headache just thinking about the bull@#$ they put me through...

Quote Originally Posted by -[OnTarget]-
    Had cologuys previously, had a lot of network outages / issues. Although their support was top notch.
    I use them now, have 4 dedicated boxes and I've seen about 4 hours of downtime in about 6 months because of two incidences. I wouldn't call that "a lot" by any means, and in fact I'm very happy with them!

Perhaps you were getting the cogent bandwidth instead of the premium bandwidth? I know they offer different packages, you can't expect to pay for a yugo and get a porsche. You're right about the support though, I don't think any of them sleep... ever.

Voice Service provider not GSP, but yes, texas is a good location - just not a lot of decent providers Thanks for everyones input!

And in regards to cologuys, this was a couple months ago: we were using cogent bandwidth, and that wsa there *only* non-premium provider, so when cogent had an issue, we had issues... where as other providers' non-premium have a blended network. Since then I think they have blended with GlobalCrossing.

Another incident was they put a different customer on a rack with us, and the other customer pushed over 200mbps and their switch couldnt handle it, so we had huge packet loss issues.
    Last edited by -[OnTarget]-; 10-26-2006 at 01:12 PM.