DNS/Private Nameserver Question

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the forum and kind of wish i found it previously before committing to a reseller, as a lot of people on here know what they are talking about and have tons of great server advice. Regardless, I'm in a pickle and could really use some help.

I have a small package with Virtuoso Net Solutions. I only host a few clients, but I chose to get private name servers for the simple more professional look.
    Now, I have my private name servers, but I'm not sure what to do with them.
    On my last server I never had private name servers, and when I registered a new domain I just changed the DNS to the name servers given to me by my last host.
    Simple as that, and the domians were working perfectly to the site. Now since my new host I've changed all my DNS to point to my new private name servers, but I can't seem to get anything working. I'm not sure if this is server related or domain related, but I also heard something about having to register private DNS with the registar.

The support from my host is quick, but not very helpful.
    I'm lost and just want to get my clients sites back on the net ASAP for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks-
    *note also, that the new account creation info shows the NameServer: ns1.yourdnsservers.net. I'm not sure if this is any bit relavent.

Getting DNS going can be tricky if not setup correctly.

My first question would be " did you setup "host records" for ns1* and ns2* with your registrar ?

Second would be to see if you have used nslookup to test the nameservers to see if they are resolving?

last would be to take a look at the DNS record itself to make sure all of the needed data is in the record including NS records for ns1* and ns2* and the Start of authority entry.

Hope that sends your thought process in the right direction.

One last note : It can take a few days before your ISP's nameservers will drop the old cache so that might be the problem. Use nslookup " nslookup www.yourdomain.com ns1.yourdomain.com " to find out if this is the case.

s,
    retro
    Last edited by retrodata; 10-25-2006 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnj94
    Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the forum and kind of wish i found it previously before committing to a reseller, as a lot of people on here know what they are talking about and have tons of great server advice. Regardless, I'm in a pickle and could really use some help.

I have a small package with Virtuoso Net Solutions. I only host a few clients, but I chose to get private name servers for the simple more professional look.
    Now, I have my private name servers, but I'm not sure what to do with them.
    On my last server I never had private name servers, and when I registered a new domain I just changed the DNS to the name servers given to me by my last host.
    Simple as that, and the domians were working perfectly to the site. Now since my new host I've changed all my DNS to point to my new private name servers, but I can't seem to get anything working. I'm not sure if this is server related or domain related, but I also heard something about having to register private DNS with the registar.

The support from my host is quick, but not very helpful.
    I'm lost and just want to get my clients sites back on the net ASAP for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks-
    *note also, that the new account creation info shows the NameServer: ns1.yourdnsservers.net. I'm not sure if this is any bit relavent.
    Try checking this link:

http://www.mysidesupport.net/tutorials/ns.shtml

You can find some tutorials on how to set up custom nameservers.
    Server Management + Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support
    | ManageAndSupport.com.

**We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your hosting customers.**

Quote Originally Posted by retrodata
    Getting DNS going can be tricky if not setup correctly.

My first question would be " did you setup "host records" for ns1* and ns2* with your registrar ?
    Exactly, this needs to be done aswell as pointing your domain name to those nameservers. You also must have the IP address to these private nameservers to setup them up in your host records.

Second would be to see if you have used nslookup to test the nameservers to see if they are resolving?
    If not, check out http://www.dnsstuff.com Very useful tools there that will help you along with troubleshooting.

Also have you contacted your host, to ensure there is nothing on their end?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>