PixelFx - any good?

Hey guys, so I just saw this ad on here from Pixelfxsolution.com and was wondering if they are any good?

I know they are supposedly resellers of FDCServers (actually their sales said they are not resellers, but share the same Datacenter) but I haven't really read much about the company.

I understand that the 100 MBit unmetered bandwidth is shared and they write on their info that you can push about 5-9 TB/month which would be like between a 15 and a 28 MBit line I guess.

The other offers I have recently checked out were all from companies offering 10 Mbps umetered servers so I am wondering if PixelFX would be an alternative if they really give you 15-28 Mbps instead. So anyway, if you have had good or bad experiences with them I'd love to hear. Or if you think I should go directly to FDC of course. I still find the upgrade stuff a bit weird it being always a high one-time fee rather than a monthly fee but ok lol

I know they are resellers, but very good resellers, since I used to be able to go to the FDC Support helpdesk and get free faster reboots.
    I like Pixel A LOT, they are really good, I usually pull about 22mbit+.
    Their support/staff is excellent. Go with Pixel, not FDC directly.
    I'm very tired, hope this helps some.

-Jarrett

<<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Thanks for the info. I tried finding some reviews on them but didn't really find much on the search function just mostly their hosting offers lol :-)

I want to make sure I can pull at least 10 Mbps on average not 20 at night but only 2 during the day or anything like that because we have some webcasting type stuff running and that would ruin the video for sure.

Any suggestions what kind of machine I should get for mostly live and on-demand webcasting services? I see they have some small Semprons and AMD64s I know those kinds of machines as home computers but not sure how well they would do as a server hmmm

I would think a high end machine such as a dual xeon machine. Perhaps a pentium4 3.0 if you want to save a bit. You also may want to check the TOS in regards to the unmetered and how much it will be actually pushing throughout the day. However, no will will be able to answer that better than the provider themselfs.

You will be able to pull way more than 10mbit.
    Trust me, I can pull much much more than 10mbit.
    A Dual Xeon, or Opteron will do the job.

-Jarrett

Thanks again guys. Yeah that was my major concern. It wouldn't do me any good if I can push 22 Mbps from 2-7 in the morning but only 2 Mbps the rest of the day heh.

I'm trying to stay at around $200 a month so I think the dual Xeons and Opterons would be too much but maybe a Pentium4. We actually had our stuff running on a 2.4 Celeron at Servermatrix a while ago and it worked alright, too. So I figure I doesn't have to be a $300 a month machine ya know. :-)

I was pretty much concentrating on Hivelocity.net as possible new host but then today I came across PixelFX so now I'm thinking well for the same money if I can push maybe 20 Mbps instead of the 10 Mbps at Hivelocity, that is a tempting alternative. As long as the support is good with server reboots or hardware replacements when needed. Wouldn't want to have the server down for several days just to get something fixed but from what you said the support at Pixel isn't too bad :-)

Well if a Celeron will suit you fine for now, get the most affordable solution, you can always upgrade your server I am sure. Which ever path you choose, good luck in the future

I have never heard of them. but appearanlty they are good. will make a note for next time I need a host
    Web Hosting Review - Real Reviews by Real People Submit your company and get a link to your site, Read Reviews GET YOUR Voice HEARD and REVIEW your HOST NOW!!! Check out our IT Blog Tips & Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by bananu
    Thanks again guys. Yeah that was my major concern. It wouldn't do me any good if I can push 22 Mbps from 2-7 in the morning but only 2 Mbps the rest of the day heh.

I'm trying to stay at around $200 a month so I think the dual Xeons and Opterons would be too much but maybe a Pentium4. We actually had our stuff running on a 2.4 Celeron at Servermatrix a while ago and it worked alright, too. So I figure I doesn't have to be a $300 a month machine ya know. :-)

I was pretty much concentrating on Hivelocity.net as possible new host but then today I came across PixelFX so now I'm thinking well for the same money if I can push maybe 20 Mbps instead of the 10 Mbps at Hivelocity, that is a tempting alternative. As long as the support is good with server reboots or hardware replacements when needed. Wouldn't want to have the server down for several days just to get something fixed but from what you said the support at Pixel isn't too bad :-)
    I think PixelFX is a great solution for you.
    Their Support answers within 5 minutes of any ticket you send in.

They even have a Remote Reboot Port for $10/month.

-Jarrett

* oh great

well I went with Pixel and my server got setup, first they did not set it up to what I ordered then after about another 6 hours they had it set up correctly but my speeds are really bad

I FTPed from both my home computer which is on an 8 MBit cable connection and from my old dedicated server which is on a 1000 MBit port. I get 280 kB/s and 380 kB/s download respectively

I also ran speed tests from Speakeasy and even if I select Chicago as test server which is the city my server is in, the upstream is measured at 4.5 MBps which corresponds with the ftp download speeds I'm getting.

They say you can expect 15-30 Mbit and on WHT they even wrote they guarantee 15 MBit well 4.5 MBit is far away from 15 and right now I feel really screwed over. I opened a ticket and we'll see what happens next *sigh*

hmmmm, sounds like bad experiences all around. Sorry things are going bad so far, perhaps they will get better. I am sure your not screwed over, sometimes things happen that are out of control of the provider. Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe thats whats going on here.

well right now I am getting the "you're confusing mbit with MBps" treatment

My cable internet is 8 mbit and has about 930 kB/s download capability.
    My connection to server now has only about 280-380 kB/s so that is definitely less than my cable internet. And they say 15 mbit guaranteed.

so if I have 15 mbit guaranteed i should be able to max out my 930 kB/s rate, or am I really confusing something there??

They say you can expect 15-30 Mbit and on WHT they even wrote they guarantee 15 MBit well 4.5 MBit is far away from 15 and right now I feel really screwed over. I opened a ticket and we'll see what happens next *sigh*
    It is what it is,. If thats not what your getting, then your in the right.

ok so just to confirm this. if I am supposed to get 15 mbit guaranteed people should be able to connect to the server at more than 200-300 kB/s if it's just one individual downloading, right?

If I got the calculations right then the data stream on a 15 mbit connection should be up to 1.8 Megabytes per second (definitely more than 200 kB/s)

Well, talk to them 1st.
    Ask them to move you to a new switch, then request that they give you new Resolver Ip's.

-Jarrett

My connection to server now has only about 280-380 kB/s so that is definitely less than my cable internet. And they say 15 mbit guaranteed.

so if I have 15 mbit guaranteed i should be able to max out my 930 kB/s rate, or am I really confusing something there??
    They might have some sort of traffic shaping going upstream from your port that caps a certain tcp stream from getting too high who knows. Try this. Open up about 5 or 6 different shells and from each one of those shels do a wget of a large test file from another provider. And at the same time do a couple of wgets of some files on your pixel box. Then lool at all 10 of the concurrent transfer rates and I bet its going to be a lot closer to 15 mbps.

Well, I have had several people try to download a test file and download rates for me are about 220 kB/s and others get even less some said 70 kB/s which is not acceptable.

PixelFX justifies by saying they support multithreading but we host live and video-on-demand webcasting and there is no multithreading possibility for that so basically for our purpose multithreading doesn't do s*it for us.

If some of you guys want to give it a shot, here is the test file link :

http://67.159.5.127/test100.bin

If you open in your browser just do save as and let it download for 15 secs or so then you can cancel. I just would like as many people as possible to post for me what download rate they are getting. The more confirmed bad download rates I can list the better a case I have to maybe get this thing cancelled and a refund. I don't want to be stuck with a server that doesn't work for me for a month

And now I might have to find me an alternative within 3 days, really sucks. Maybe Hivelocity.net as an option? *sigh* I dunno

But hey guys, as many as can please test that test file and post your download rate here or in personal message. I wanna collect those results and show them to PixelFX. Thanks!!

Ok guys, no more need to test the download speed. The matter has been resolved by account cancellation and refund. I'm glad they did the right thing to do.
    The lesson that I learned is that when getting an unmetered offer to ask with how much speed one single sole user (i.e. nobody else pulling data from the server) can pull from the server with a single download thread. In other words, what good does a higher mbit connection do you if you need a multi-threading download manager to make full use of it.
    But anyway, matter closed, thanks for all your input

Glad you got it all worked out, good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by wifiguru
    I think PixelFX is a great solution for you.
    Their Support answers within 5 minutes of any ticket you send in.

They even have a Remote Reboot Port for $10/month.

-Jarrett
    Is that some kind of custom package? I don't see that on their web page. Doesn't FDC have reboot ports hooked up to all servers anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by wormy
    Is that some kind of custom package? I don't see that on their web page. Doesn't FDC have reboot ports hooked up to all servers anyway?
    We try our very best to satisfy our clients. It appeared we were not able to fully satisfy this client. As a result a refund was issued.

And as per the reboot ports, FDC does not offer remote reboot ports. We are implementing this feature as part of our ongoing efforts to improve our services.
    Zenex5ive - Web Solutions For Your Need
    Dedicated Servers | Unmetered[COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    www.zenex5ive.com

depends where you are located did you request pccwg outbound if havent try thisd it worked for me