best video editing program?

Hello. I was not sure of where to post this thread but any way I have posted it here and if it is not the right forum then mods or admins please move it to the appropriate forum.Thank you.

As for the reason I posted this thread- it is that i'm searching to get a good video editing program which I can use to directly edit scenes etc. And also make special effects , you know making outstanding videos.

thanks in advance

What is your budget and are you looking for a program that runs on Mac or Windows? It's hard to find anything that is not very expensive if you want something powerful.

If you're using a Mac, I'd go for Final Cut Studio. I use it for large video projects, and while it is a little expensive, it's the best piece of software I've ever used. I tried out Adobe Premiere on my Windows computer, and it's a lot less powerful or intuitive.

I've also heard that Avid products are great as well, but I don't have any firsthand experience with any recent Avid products (within the last 5 or 6 years or so). I'd recommend reading reviews on the different Avid products. I can only recommend Final Cut Studio because it is very user friendly and powerful, and can recommend against Adobe Premiere.

Matt

It certainly isn't the best, but I use Pinnacle Studio plus, which does everything I need it to do.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Adobe Premier, I used to use it, but I switched over to vegas because it was easier to use

Avid only seems to be worth it in a full rig, not just their standalone software. If you're just looking for software then Final Cut Studio on the Mac is very very hard to beat. Premiere is ok, worth a look if you're stuck with Windows.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

I use Effective Lab DV once in a while. Does a decent job for me.

There's tonnes, and there isn't a best one. I'd suggest trying out all of the ones listed here (a few anyway), and seeing what one you like the best.

hey guys thanks for the answers. Well I use Windows so I'm gonna need something that can work with windows.I might have to see what Adobe Premiere and Pinnacle Studio plus can do. Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming

I would highly recommend Adobe Premiere as it is what a couple of our clients are using with no problems.
    Walker

ok that is what I'm going to get in the end of the week hopefully and I will see. With that can I do edits to scenes ,for example I have a windows media player video clip and I want to make some changes while keeping the quality, is that possible with this program and the others and many other things too?

I'm a big fan of Adobe Premier. Adobe Premier allows for much faster editing than Final Cut. With Adobe Premier you don't have to render every time you edit a clip. Rendering is a pain.
    Lee W.

Quote Originally Posted by lwhite
    I'm a big fan of Adobe Premier. Adobe Premier allows for much faster editing than Final Cut. With Adobe Premier you don't have to render every time you edit a clip. Rendering is a pain.
    The new version of final cut doesn't need as much rendering - I've experienced basically the same rendering times on both Premiere and Final Cut. I just upgraded to the latest Final Cut Studio version - anyway, rendering really isn't a big problem or time waster on a Quad Xeon 2.66 w/3GB RAM. I still think that Final Cut is a lot more powerful than Premiere (especially with the new additions in LiveType), but if you don't have a Mac, unfortunately it's not an option.

Has anybody used any Avid programs on Windows?

Matt

I have used an older version of Avid Xpress DV on PC and I have also used an Avid Media Composer 1000 on Mac. It's been a while since I have done any editing, but the power of avid is just plain awesome. The two versions were pretty much identical in terms of operation.

is there anyone here who ever used ulead's videostudio one? I got one and it seems to be good but not that fantastic as I feel the need for more things.