Please advice re termination of our shared hosting account

Greetings,
    Subject: Our shared hosting account Bawazir.com with Nine Dot Systems (formerly Geekhosting)

Apparently, our site was down since 10/21. We contacted the host who informed us that " On Saturday, October 21st it was discovered that your site was running a ebay phising scam which resulted in this server being turned off completely. Because of this we had no choice but to terminate your account. We can no longer offer you any service of any kind."

Certainly, we are innocent and victims. Our account is paid for till 1/2007, we have no back on our computers for files and databases of the site, and we prefer not to move our site to another host for the time being.

The case is still unfolding now…

We also want to stop that scam. BTW, is the host expected to provide some protection for his clients' accounts?

Your recommendations will be highly helpful to us, Saeed
    Posted On: Oct 23 2006 06:13 PM
    Hello,

our site bawazir.com cannot be reached for the past few hours.

Regards, Saeed

Scott A.: Welcome to Live chat, how can I assist you ?
    Saeed: our site bawazir.com cannot be reached for the past few hours. [ls
    chk server
    Scott A.: Ok please allow me a moment
    Scott A.: is bawazir.com your main domain ?
    Saeed: yes
    Scott A.: Sorry for the delay
    Saeed: what is up?
    Scott A.: I'm unable to locate your account on our servers, please send in a
    ticket to [email protected] and our senior techs will have to
    investigate the cause of this issue

Ryan

Posted On: Oct 24 2006 11:18 AM

Saeed,

My apologies but your account has been terminated. On Saturday, October 21st it was discovered that your site was running a ebay phising scam which resulted in this server being turned off completely. Because of this we had no choice but to terminate your account. We can no longer offer you any service of any kind.

Thank you
    Ryan
    Nine Dot Systems Support

Saeed Bawazir

Posted On: Oct 24 2006 11:24 AM

Hello Ryan,
    I have absolutely no idea about that phishing scam. Would you please try to help a good and inncent customer of yours who was apparently a victim. Our site is a family site since 1999.
    Coudl we we chat online?
    Regards, Saeed

Unquote

Quote Originally Posted by sbawazir
    BTW, is the host expected to provide some protection for his clients' accounts?
    Yes, but the responsibility to keep site scripts updated and secured is your responsibility. I do not know if that's what happened here, but if you were running (for example) a guestbook script with an exploitable hole it would be your job to keep it safe.

See if the host will turn over a recent copy of the backup. Since you did not keep backups on your local machine as you should have please be as nice as possible when requesting this. Your emails sound professional right now so I doubt that will be a problem. Good luck!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I do not see why they had to terminate your account without contacting you first, a simple suspend on the account would have been fine for further investigation.

If they have already terminated your account (which they said they have), and do not provide any backups, you're out of luck. Unfortunately, no one on WHT can help you get your backups from them.

To Saeed and all other concerned parties,

Saeed's hosting account with GeekHosting.com was terminated because there was an Ebay phishing scam that was running thru an add-on domain of his account. While it appeared that the scam was the result of a hacked phpBB installation, we were not provided any option other than terminating the account from our Data Center.

We were provided 1 hours notice to have this account pulled from our server or they were going to shut us down. Unfortunately this notice was given on a Saturday afternoon when our weekend staff is on shift and it was not caught right away. As a result of this, they pulled the plug on our server - a shared hosting server with roughly 250 accounts on it and it was not until I personally contacted them and assured them the account would be terminated before they would even turn the server back on. I can only assume someone from Ebay contacted our DC directly since we are normally given 24 hour notices to remove abusive users.

I hope this clarifies the severity of the issue and why we had to terminate Saeed's account. We regretfully had to inform Saeed of this, but he has yet to formally request for a backup in his support ticket that is currently on hold at our support desk. If he were to actually ask for the back we would have no issue providing him with one.

I am truly sorry that we had to put Saeed in this position, but we have 250 other clients on this server and we have to take in consideration what is best for all of our clients and not what is best for Saeed. I hope you all understand the difficulties of this decision. I am open to any criticism or questions any users may have.

Hello Ryan and thanks for your post. I was trying to reach you but recently, my emails to you were bouncing and I could not get hold of you thru your live spoort chat.
    It is very unfortunate that we both and other fellow clients of yours suffer as a result of someone else's act.
    I am open to any suggestion from you like removing that add-on domain, deleting all phpBB installations in our account, or indeed any other request that you have. We are so busy with other business and would really like to keep our bawazir.com account with you till the end of its current invioced cycle ending on 1/2007.

Please help. I also sent u a request for a recent backup if that is the end of it.

This problem could've been resolved by simply deleting the folder or files using for the ebay scam..suspend the account and notify the client that there's a security issue with his account. Terminating the whole account does sound a bit extreme..DCs send out those notices to hosts all the time, they mainly mean to remove the scam files.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

I agree that we could have just removed the folder that contained the offensive material but unfortunately the situation was a bit different than any we have been involved with. Our DC reacted to this issue in a completely different way then any other abusive issue that we have had to deal with. I have to believe that the pressure was coming straight from Ebay. We have filed a complaint with our DC because we do not believe this issue was handled properly from there end either.

Saeed, I will gladly discuss other options with you, if you were to contact me directily at [email protected].

Hello Ryan,
    I have sent you an email yesterday to your abve mentioned address. So far, I have not heard from you. Did you you receive it?
    Please respond anf try to help a good paying client....
    Saeed
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Oct 24, 2006 11:10 PM
    Subject: Follow up re bawazir.com
    To: [email protected]

Hello Ryan,
    It is very unfortunate that we both and other fellow clients of yours suffer as a result of someone else's act.
    I am open to any suggestion from you like removing that add-on domain, deleting all phpBB installations in our account, or indeed any other request that you have. We are so busy with other business and would really like to keep our bawazir.com account with you till the end of its current invioced cycle ending on 1/2007.
    Regards, Saeed