Bluehost problems.. am I the only one??

I have a site running on a shared hosting package from bluehost for about 6 months.

Everything was fine untill about 2 months ago, this is when the "Account exceeded CPU quota" problem started.

It is now out of control, the downtime due to this "issue" is costing me traffic and I need to find a solution asap... preferably a new and better host!

At first I thought this was due to the site's script, so I scanned the logs and tried disabling the suspicious scripts... that didn't help! I am now sure it is a problem on their end.

The site has the following stats:
    4GB content (and growing)
    30,000 hits per day
    600GB Bandwidth
    Joomla based (PHP & MySQL)
    Runs Flashchat

The site is not bringing in any revenue at the moment, so I cannot afford to pay much.

Can you please guide me into the right direction towards finding the apporpriate host/solution?

Your Not Only one

Here another person

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=556803
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluca
    The site has the following stats:
    4GB content (and growing)
    30,000 hits per day
    600GB Bandwidth
    Joomla based (PHP & MySQL)
    Runs Flashchat
    This does seem a lot for just a shared plan, I would suggest upgrading to a low-level VPS.

PHP & MySQL driven sites do tend to use quiet a lot of resources.

How much are you paying BlueHost for this if you don't mind me asking ?

With a Database that size and with that much traffic, I can see how it could shut down a server with more than likely 600 accounts on it. A VPS would more than likely get you out of anymore issues with these cheap hosts, but like you said, you have little budget for this.

You can get a half decent VPS for around $20 - $30, maybe cheaper, but remember you get what you pay for

Have you ever thought about selling advertising from your site ?
    With that many visitors you shouldn't have any problems finding companies that will bite your hand off to get a banner on your site.. just a thought

Oh boy... I better get a new host soon if I want my site to grow...Thx for the link to the other thread!!

I am paying bluehost $6.95 per month..

I have thought about selling advertising space, just don't know where/how to start though..

Any suggestions on a decent VPS? $20 - $30 per month is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluca
    I have thought about selling advertising space, just don't know where/how to start though..

Any suggestions on a decent VPS? $20 - $30 per month is not bad.

Have you look Web Hosting offer forum?

Here some good deals in VPS

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I suggest you upgrade to a dedicated server.I think you web site have too much visiters to use a shared hosting.

There are sooooo many VPS... how do u choose??

The scripts you are running must be eating up a lot of server's resources and you're only paying $6 per month. You need a high-end VPS or a low-end dedicated server.

The site is not bringing in any revenue at the moment, so I cannot afford to pay much.
    Have you tried putting up ads? 30,000 visitors per day, you could make a decent amount from google adsense to pay for your VPS/dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxt
    I suggest you upgrade to a dedicated server.I think you web site have too much visiters to use a shared hosting.
    i dont think he needs a dedicated server yet (but soon). just upgrade your package, bluehost is not the problem is your package type.

Just go 2 steps higher then what you have now

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan23
    i dont think he needs a dedicated server yet (but soon). just upgrade your package, bluehost is not the problem is your package type.

Just go 2 steps higher then what you have now
    Yup, 30,000 hits per day is very suitable for shared hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Yup, 30,000 hits per day is very suitable for shared hosting!
    a good vps will handle that (layer0) no need for a full dedicated, but others may not agree.

just my .02cents

a good vps will handle that (layer0) no need for a full dedicated, but others may not agree.
    A good VPS that size is close to the price of a dedicated anyway. He's in dedicated server realm, but totally unprepared for it. This is the very danger that highly oversold shared hosting presents to the market: unreasonable expectations from unaware customers.

WN-Ali's advice is sound. Your primary focus should be to make the site pay itself. Google Adsense can be a fast, easy way to get the necesarry revenue, but not necessarily the optimum one. If Google Adsense doesn't bring in enough, there's still the option of selling advertising space directly to third parties who can effectively market products to the particular audience your website has.

Amazing really that the site is still running given the load it must be putting on the server. Seems that the Bluehost policy of short time-outs allows the site to stay (albeit with downtime) and the server to keep working.

I very much agree that the focus has to be on making the site pay enough to get a hosting that can take that amount of pressure on the CPU. Alternatively, to find a way of reducing its popularity so that it can be afforded.

I have to find a way to generate revenue asap.. I'll try browse the net for alternatives to google adsense..

Reducing the popularity is not an option, perhaps the opposite.

I am now looking at the following dedicated servers offers:

1- Zone.net
    Zone 300 $75 p/m
    Intel Celeron 2.4
    512 RAM
    80 GB HDD
    750 GB Bandwidth
    RedHat Linux

2- Superbservers.net
    Solo Server $69 p/m
    Celeron 2.4/2.66 Ghz
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB IDE/SATA HD
    1000 GB Monthly Traffic
    2 IPs
    Linux Fedora

Any suggestions? Any other reliable dediacated server deals out there within this price range?

Do they both provide managed servers at those prices? How much sysadmin is included (& what is the price)?
    What about cpanel etc?
    How much of this are you confident in being able to do yourself?
    The difference between a shared account with cpanel & lots of one click installs and management tools and a dedicated server is pretty big.