Thread: Online Forms

Online Forms

I am trying to setup online forms using the commonly available web2mail.cgi script.
    I am unsure of where I should store the web2mail.cgi script and I also do not know what path to enter in the script file for the sendmail program.
    Is this script okay to use or should I be using something else?

I am an extreme newbie so I do apologise for what may be a completely dumb ass question and I would appreciate any replies written in 'newbie sympathetic' language. I am learning heaps by reading this forum so thanks to all those who post and keep up the great work.

Martin Daly - Australia

Re: Online Forms

Originally posted by 123go
    I am trying to setup online forms using the commonly available web2mail.cgi script.
    I am unsure of where I should store the web2mail.cgi script and I also do not know what path to enter in the script file for the sendmail program.

Where you put the web2mail script idepends on the configuration of your server. Most unix flavored servers have a special directory named cgi-bin which is especially configured for scripts such as web2mail.cgi, so if you have access to a directory such as that, it would probably be the place to put it. Some servers will allow you to put such a script anywhere within your account space, so a cgi-bin directory may not be necessary.

Sendmail is usually at /usr/sbin/sendmail, sometimes at /usr/slib/sendmail, but could be about anywhere your server administrator thought it should go. If it is not in one of the two places above, you may need to ask your hosting provider where they put it. If you have shell (telnet/SSH) access, you could log in and enter the command "whereis sendmail" or "which sendmail" or "locate sendmail" to see if you can get the information you need that way.

Is this script okay to use or should I be using something else?

I have no opinion on that particular script, as I have never used it.

I am an extreme newbie so I do apologise for what may be a completely dumb ass question and I would appreciate any replies written in 'newbie sympathetic' language.

We all had to start somewhere. I hope my answers qualified as "newbie sympathetic".

I am learning heaps by reading this forum so thanks to all those who post and keep up the great work.

Martin Daly - Australia

Dear Elsmore1,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I found the sendmail program where you suggested and I have stored the cgi script within each website that requires online forms and BUGGER ME, IT ALL WORKS !!!!
    You have saved me hours of reading and mucking around and I am VERY grateful. The internet really is a good thing.
    Martin Daly

You might want to check the security of the script you install, otherwise you could be leaving your server open to spammers...
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

Thanks for the tip BlackKnight. The script I was using did not have any security options so I downloaded Matt Wright's FormMail.pl and set the referrers variable to only the sites that I want to have access to the script.

If anyone is using this script, I wondered if there was a way that I can simply put the IP address of the RAQ4 into the referrers variable and that way it would cover all sites that I am hosting rather than having to update the script everytime a new site wants an online form.

I tried just putting the IP address in the referrers variable and no domain names but it doesn't like it. It would appear that you have to enter domain names ???

Any help would be appreciated.

Martin Daly

I don't know about Matt's script... one of the ways of avoiding spammers to a certain degree is to rename the script.. stupid, but it does work to a certain extent.
    As for the IP address of the server... have a look on hotscripts.com - there must be something available, or try another search on this board
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

This is being discussed in another thread elsewhere and someone remined me of http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/ which I've seen before and seems reasonable.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken