Hosting Advice. Very High Traffic for only 3 months

I'm very unhappy with my current host, and I'm looking to move. My issue is that I don't want to pay a lot of money for a big pipe when I'm really only busy from June through August (I run a fantasy football draft site).

During this time, it is not uncommon to get something like 10-20 gigs of transfer/month. The rest of the year though, I'm looking at more like 200 megs/month. I know there are a lot of sites that ramp up for the Christmas season, and was wondering if there are any good solutions for those type of sites (if fact, ideally, being on a box with a lot of Christmas traffic would not affect my business at all as I'm ramping down as they're ramping up and vice versa).

It has to be a .NET solution. I have an app that is about 50megs that I sell and a moderately trafficed message board to give you an idea of the kind of disk space I would need.

Any suggestions or ideas?

also, my email is gstarling (at) gmail dot com

i have like 5 unread pms, but I apparently, I don't have privledges to get to them. Maybe it's waiting 3 years for my first post, who knows.

What budgets and plans are you looking at right now? I know some hosts will certainly work with you for these months that you are having peak times on.

You could maybe work with a host that is willing to keep upgrading and downgrading your account, this would cut the cost for you.

But yeah, what sort of budget do you have for the time that it is the most used, and what would you like to pay for when the site is hardly used ?

I think you'd be best of with a VPS, if you can find a good company that offers VPS service on a Windows platform (serverintellect.com is a great example of a high qual Windows VPS provider). If you decide a VPS isn't in the budget, your next best bet is to get a Windows hosting plan that reserves a large amount of resources; a moderate or higher level plan. Overbuying here will help prevent experiencing latency because of resources used by others on a shared machine. Most all good hosting companies today can handle your drive space and bandwidth requirements and offer monthly contracts so you can downgrade or cancel when your busy season's over.

Be wary of new and small hosting companies. Pricing can be very attractive with them, but there's a tendency for them to oversell resources on a machine by a dangerous amount for seasonal traffic. Good luck to you!

as to what i'd like to pay. I really don't see a need to pay more than $20 for the off months. During peak time, I don't mind going up to the $100-$200 range.

Obviously, if it's less expensive, that works out better for my bottom line, but I've learned my lesson on cheaping out, and rearranged my priorities:
    1. Quality
    2. Service
    3. Price

Quote Originally Posted by liquidstar
    as to what i'd like to pay. I really don't see a need to pay more than $20 for the off months. During peak time, I don't mind going up to the $100-$200 range.

Obviously, if it's less expensive, that works out better for my bottom line, but I've learned my lesson on cheaping out, and rearranged my priorities:
    1. Quality
    2. Service
    3. Price
    I think that you'll be able to find a reputable host in that range pretty easily .

Good luck with your search.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Im guessing it's a .NET solution because he has written his code in the .NET platform, or his software package runs on Microsoft based systems.

I know of a number of smaller based companies that would be prepared to carry out a solution based on what you have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy_Don
    Im guessing it's a .NET solution because he has written his code in the .NET platform, or his software package runs on Microsoft based systems.

I know of a number of smaller based companies that would be prepared to carry out a solution based on what you have said.
    could you point me in a direction? i'm pretty clueless (my email is above, gstarling at gmail dot com)

also, yes, my software is written in .NET and the software will need to iteract with the website. Also, it's easier for us who program in .NET to use the language for things like registration and forums.

Quote Originally Posted by NTHosts
    Why would he need a VPS ?!? thats just buying to much and paying to much when he wouldn't need that much for most of the time.. total waste of money :/

Not all new, small hosts oversell.

You're right about the small hosting companies ot there, but I made a general statement there because it seems that liquidstar hasn't really established a good relationship with a particular small company and with seasonal traffic especially, there's no time for trial and error.

VPS services aren't the cheapest services out there, but they can be a huge value, especially if you're looking to put yourself at ease about the other people using the same machine as you. 20GB per month equates to an average use of .07Mbps and on a shared service with hundreds or even 1000 users, getting the bandwidth and processing recources you need during peak times can be a problem. Shared services are designed to protect the group of users from lag before you are protected. The group comes before the individual. With VPS service though, it's the opposite. You're guaranteed resources so if other customers on a box happen to be using a lot of resources, you aren't affected to near the same degree. Since you can get dedicated resources without paying for a dedicated server, it's a great alternative to consider.

Shared services may work too, but the real question to answer is how much is liquidstar willing to pay for reliable service. I hope this helps and provides some clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidstar

1. Quality
    2. Service
    3. Price

Check out Verio.com for hosting and VPS and if you think a Windows VPS platform will serve you best, look at serverintellect.com. These companies are great regarding quality and service although they aren't always the cheapest.

Another note: Make sure you've discussed how an upgrade or downgrade path would work on their end. I've seen unneeded downtime incurred because either the company or customer didn't have all the info they needed to act.

I would talk the host provider and see if they can work with you on this. Maybe for the few months - they can bump you up some for a small extra monthly fee and then drop you back down when the peek months are over.

I know this shouldn't be unreasonable and many providers should be willing to work with you on this. Let me stress should - there are some growth centered providers that tend to overlook the customer's needs.

i have like 5 unread pms, but I apparently, I don't have privledges to get to them. Maybe it's waiting 3 years for my first post, who knows.
    You just need to have 5 posts. From the rules:
    You must make five (5) posts before utilizing the PM and system e-mail features. If you choose to make meaningless posts to circumvent this restriction, your account will be disabled.
    I must stress that hosts may not offer you hosting because of this thread that you started, even via PM. Not only should you stay away from such offers, but it would help the community if you'd report any offenders: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/

Thank you!

hopefully, hosts will follow the rules, but someone will still be able to point me in the direction of some hosting companies they have dealt with successfully in the past.