Windows server service monitoring and restart suggestions?

Hi,

I've got a handful of Windows 2003 servers I manage. Yesterday one of them had the IIS service puke and it was offline for almost 24 hours. I also have another server where the SmarterMail service hangs occasionally requiring me to login and restart the service.

Can anyone recommend a utility that can monitor these types of services and then reboot, restart, etc the process so it doesn't stay offline for so long? I would hope to find some kind of system that could email me about the problem, but try to fix it using some kind of automated steps, mostly stopping and starting the service.

I would also like to have some kind of central place to review all the servers' performance.

So I hope someone here knows of something. Looking forward to any replies.
    David
    Beenanza, LLC

You can set windows to automatically restart services if they stop unexpectedly in services managment, but obviously this is no good if they get stuck stopping or starting.

This program seems to offer what you want although its not free.
    http://www.wingenuity.com/service-hawk.html

I'm not too worried about free at this point. I need something that works... I did download the program but my problem is that the SmarterMail service just stops responding even though in the Services list it still shows as running. I'm assuming that this software checks the current status reported by the OS instead of the real problem which is that customers can't connect to the mail server using normal email clients and the webmail page won't open either.
    David
    Beenanza, LLC

Im a huge fan of firedaemon
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

Hello,

In windows, you can use the Performance Monitor tool. Here you can set up a baseline of what the system should be doing under normal circumstances. Then you can set custom monitors and filters for pretty much everything. You then set the baseline normal rule, then set the Maximum rule, and have it either alert you when it goes past that baseline, either by e-mail or messenger service, or you can have it start another program. Perhaps you may want to create a few batch files to do these restarts for you, and then have the batch file called when the maximum is reached or exceeded. An example batch file for rebooting the machine would go like this;

@echo off
    shutdown -r -f -t 10 -c "comment/reason for shutdown"
    exit

THis will reboot the computer and force all running applications to close with a countdown timer of 10 seconds and add a comment to the logs of which you specify IE> "High load"

This will help you locate the cause of shutdown calling in the event logs. Speaking of logs, have you checked the error of the service that seems to be hanging? application logs or the like?

Best Regards-

-Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNET
    Hi,

I've got a handful of Windows 2003 servers I manage. Yesterday one of them had the IIS service puke and it was offline for almost 24 hours. I also have another server where the SmarterMail service hangs occasionally requiring me to login and restart the service.

Can anyone recommend a utility that can monitor these types of services and then reboot, restart, etc the process so it doesn't stay offline for so long? I would hope to find some kind of system that could email me about the problem, but try to fix it using some kind of automated steps, mostly stopping and starting the service.

I would also like to have some kind of central place to review all the servers' performance.

So I hope someone here knows of something. Looking forward to any replies.

My concern - Sometimes it is not advisable to use any utility as when the mail queue is high or if there is any real problem where you can get an idea of the problem while investigating rather than simply RESTARTING the services. I believe smarter mail is a most advanced reliable mailserver among windows and you can tweak and fix the problem besides it. I would suggest you to ask your mailserver administrator to walkthrough the server and investigate and fix the real problem.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty