Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz vs Athlon 3800+

Hi,
    I am in the hunt for a new server, and have narrowed down my choices to either a P4 2.8 Ghz or an Athlon 3800+. With both having the same price and same specs (2 GB Ram), I'm stuck between which one to choose.

I need the server for web hosting purposes only.

Thanks in advance.

i think there was another thread about this. the AMD is better.

The AMD, hands down.

What about CPU? Are they have dual core?

What is the RAM of AMD? And how much does it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by trish75
    What is the RAM of AMD? And how much does it cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by pixeldawn
    With both having the same price and same specs (2 GB Ram)
    Stated in the original posting....
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

AMD 3800+ for sure. Much better.

The Athlon will destroy the Pentium.

AMD makes superior server compared to Intel, the only thing that would beat AMD's high end athlon or opterons would be the new Woodcrest Xeon's.

Definitely take the AMD.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Thanks, the AMD it is then

AMD hands down

I'm not sure if many people know this but I'll say it anyway:
    AMD (speed here) so 3800+ means it's equivalent to a 3.8GHz CPU, even though it may not run at that speed in GHz, it's as fast as it.

E.g the Sempron 2600+ runs at 1GHz something, yet it'd eat (not really but you get what I mean - I hope) a Pentium 2.4GHz.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

E.g the Sempron 2600+ runs at 1GHz something, yet it'd eat (not really but you get what I mean - I hope) a Pentium 2.4GHz.
    No it wouldn't. The 2600+ is just a gimmick and an approximation, in some benchmarks (games) the amd xxx+ vs x.xGHZ will win. In media applications the P4 will beat the amd.

Now what you did is wrong. Sempron at 2600+ is slower then an Amd Athlon 2600+, and an Athlon 2600+ is about the same speed as the P4 2.6GHZ, so ill bet you that the Pentium 2.4GHZ will beat the Sempron.

Tomshardware seems to agree here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...05/page44.html

But then again, half the benchmarks there don't make sense.

Ah btw, just thought would let you know that they gave me an x2 3800+ - is that equivalent to two single core athon 3200+ ?

AMD dude, i had both server4sale servers before

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Rock
    No it wouldn't. The 2600+ is just a gimmick and an approximation, in some benchmarks (games) the amd xxx+ vs x.xGHZ will win. In media applications the P4 will beat the amd.

Now what you did is wrong. Sempron at 2600+ is slower then an Amd Athlon 2600+, and an Athlon 2600+ is about the same speed as the P4 2.6GHZ, so ill bet you that the Pentium 2.4GHZ will beat the Sempron.

Tomshardware seems to agree here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...05/page44.html

But then again, half the benchmarks there don't make sense.
    Ah well, I just thought 2600+ meant it was comparable to 2.6GHz, I'm not much of a hardware guru myself, that's why I hire people for that stuff.

I'll stick to software

Thanks for the corrections.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Ah well, I just thought 2600+ meant it was comparable to 2.6GHz
    You're right it should be, but the Sempron is a crippled chip, its essentially a Celeron(Although I'm positive the Celeron would be much slower). Its the Athlons that directlty compare to the P4 like that (But with slower AMD's that were not based on the 64 bit architercture, the P4's were for the most part faster)

But really when you have different chip architectures, it's difficult to approximate like that. The AMD will beat the equivalent P4 in some benchmarks, but loose to it in some.

Also now that the Core2Duo dropped the net burst architecture almost completely, the numbers are meaningless, unless you are comparing it to equivalent AMD's.