Any WHT Members with Family Serving Overseas?

Well, my little bro shipped out to Iraq tonight. He's been in the army since 2004, and his stint over there is supposed to last for 12-18 months.

Needless to say my family and I are worried sick, most of all Mom. I keep telling her he'll be fine when I'm worried about him myself. He's trained to be a combat medic, with some mechanic stuff thrown in, so he's likely going to be where the action is.

It's funny; I keep thinking about when he was a baby (I'm about 6 1/2 yrs older than he is); he was just a little bitty peanut when he was born and then grew like a weed. And now he's going over to serve his country. I'm very proud of him but also terribly sad.

My brother in law went over to Iraq/Kuwait shortly after 9/11, and he came back okay, so I keep trying to tell myself that chances are good that my brother will too.

Anyone here have family serving overseas? Anyone here served overseas during this latest thing with the Middle East?
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Hey P-nut...
    No worries your brother will be fine and he'll return back safe as well.

A good friend of the family was over there for 2 years, got back recently. He was involved in a lot of combat and he came home safely, I'm sure your brother will also.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: msn@hostingchoice.net AIM: HCLiveHelp02

I'm hoping I will be shipped to iraq soon. I'm not a grunt but it will be a hell of an experience!! People just need to understand how TONS of marines/army go and come back safely. I know so many other marines that have been to iraq once or twice. The other marines I know havnt even gone yet.

I'm sure he will be safe. You just need to trust that he is trained for what hes about to do. It's a truely different mind set out there.

Semper Fi

Chances are he'll be perfectly fine. But there's no point worrying, if he wants to do it, if that's what makes him feel happy and fulfilled, then I'm sure he won't have problems in Iraq.

Some of the recruits come back thinking differently from the Iraq experience, so if that happens, he'll need help from family.

Thanks for the reassuring words, it really does mean a lot . I keep telling my mom all the things that you all mentioned, and I do know they are true but at the same time there's that voice in the back of your head thinking "what if I'm not right?"

He's a good kid with a good head on his shoulders; I worry a lot less about him being over there than one of my sisters
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

I haven't kept up with the nephews for a bit, but I had one nephew who was with the Aus Navy involved in clearing all the mines in the harbour before troops could dock

Well, not serving. More than 3/4 of my reletives are living in the Middle-East...

I know someone that went to iraq filming, he's come back now and sold his house, etc, left his wife, sold everything material and is now living on his own in a small place.. Basically lost all will to have material things.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Mituozo
    I know someone that went to iraq filming, he's come back now and sold his house, etc, left his wife, sold everything material and is now living on his own in a small place.. Basically lost all will to have material things.
    Haha that's great to tell him, way to boost morale
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: msn@hostingchoice.net AIM: HCLiveHelp02

P-nut, I don't have any family in the military, but I have had one especially close friend who was over there and is now back - and I know a few other folks who have served and come back as well. You yourself say he has a good head on his shoulders - he should be fine.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mituozo
    I am sorry but if I was P'nut and you said this to me I would slap you. Quite frankly shut up. If you had family over in a conflict you would be worried sick and whilst reaching out to other for support some inconsiderate person turns round and said that to you, you would probably be even more worried. Please think before you speak.

And one of my brothers is serving in Iraq also from Britain so I feel rather strongly with regards to what people say about it.

I have a brother in law who just returned after over a year. He said he had a few scary events but he returned alright.

My nephew was in Tikrit for a couple of years, when all the stuff was happening in a big way there, and came back just fine.

If you think about the number of soldiers who are over there and have been over there and compare it with the number of people who have come to harm, you can know that the odds are very much in your brother's favor.

I have both family and friends over there.... they say the money is good... that is about all we talk about when they come home and what is going on in the "real world" (in the states)....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P-nut
    Thanks for the reassuring words, it really does mean a lot . I keep telling my mom all the things that you all mentioned, and I do know they are true but at the same time there's that voice in the back of your head thinking "what if I'm not right?"

He's a good kid with a good head on his shoulders; I worry a lot less about him being over there than one of my sisters

I completely understand your concern. My nephew is in Iraq right now. he's already done one rotation and he's just gone back. He's only an e-3 so he's pretty low on the totem pole but he didn't have much bad to say when he got back the first time. he did take a shot once but they wear kevlar and it dind't penetrate. so it's not like they're completely vulnerable.

You'll get a little more comfortable with it as time goes on. It's scary at first because you don't know what to expect, but I can assure you those soldiers are well taken care of there, and they are in good hands.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer