Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by choon

which island?

Good to see all you guys from Singapore... maybe we can start a community forum for Singaporeans to share experiences about managing a server etc...

Just a thought...

Cheers!

Kindest regards,
    Choon
    Hi Choon,

Your signature advertises a hosting service but your website does not show much. I tried both choonhost.com and choonhost.net.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DoorKeeper

Hi Choon,

Your signature advertises a hosting service but your website does not show much. I tried both choonhost.com and choonhost.net.
    The choonhost.net site is under construction or re-layout

If you need to see my old hosting site, PM me and I will let you know the URL.

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
    Choon
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::
      0 Not allowed!

I have a few question which i hope you guys can help me out with.

I'm almost done developing my website. And i have trouble choosing the language to do my scripts. In fact i dont have any experience in this aspect at all.

What language should i begin with? I though of JSP but been advised to try PHP due to its user friendliness.

Do i have to write all scripts by myself or are there prewritten ones. For example searches, logins, credit card transactions.

Just out of curiousity, do you guys write your own scripts and what language r u using?

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

PHP or Perl

Hi Blues,

Try to learn PHP or Perl.

You can find those free or paid script by doing a search in http://www.hotscripts.com

Kindest regards,
    Choon
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Blues
    I have a few question which i hope you guys can help me out with.

I'm almost done developing my website. And i have trouble choosing the language to do my scripts. In fact i dont have any experience in this aspect at all.

What language should i begin with? I though of JSP but been advised to try PHP due to its user friendliness.

Do i have to write all scripts by myself or are there prewritten ones. For example searches, logins, credit card transactions.

Just out of curiousity, do you guys write your own scripts and what language r u using?

Thanks
    I, too, am no programmer. I looked at some Perl scripts and some PHP scripts and finally decided PHP was easier than most. Most of the things you need can be downloaded for free and then customised (simply by using a text editor) to suit your site's look and feel. Plenty of tutorial sites out there too to help you along when you get stuck.
      0 Not allowed!

I, too, am no programmer. I looked at some Perl scripts and some PHP scripts and finally decided PHP was easier than most. Most of the things you need can be downloaded for free and then customised (simply by using a text editor) to suit your site's look and feel. Plenty of tutorial sites out there too to help you along when you get stuck.
    Thanks for the tip doorkeeper. i've always been bad in programming and knowing the basics and variables of a language is neccessary for scritping. I guess i got to start somewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

Dear Blues,

You may visit here there maybe some useful scripts for you to use.

All the best in your website,
    Marcus.
      0 Not allowed!

I am very interested in forming a Singapore web hosting forum that talks about local singapore web host, as well as many other hosting related issues that might only be locally related.

Some issues might be
    1) Getting good suitable merchant account or CC gateway
    2) Getting clients and adverstising for ur business in local context
    3) Fiinding good web designer
    4) Good server co-location..etc

All those who are interested can PM me or ICQ me , I am sure we can work things out.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by freehtml
    I am very interested in forming a Singapore web hosting forum that talks about local singapore web host, as well as many other hosting related issues that might only be locally related.

Some issues might be
    1) Getting good suitable merchant account or CC gateway
    2) Getting clients and adverstising for ur business in local context
    3) Fiinding good web designer
    4) Good server co-location..etc

All those who are interested can PM me or ICQ me , I am sure we can work things out.
    Great idea, freehtml. Maybe even going further than that. Forum + listing of SG web hosts + web designer section + etc. A under-one-roofie kind of thingie for web hosting.

If one of you resellers will provide a free account, I can do the donkey work as I have the time.

0 Not allowed!

Great idea, freehtml. Maybe even going further than that. Forum + listing of SG web hosts + web designer section + etc. A under-one-roofie kind of thingie for web hosting.

If one of you resellers will provide a free account, I can do the donkey work as I have the time.

I may be able to do so depending on how much space is needed.

And if we were to make it a success, gerat effort will be needed to start the ball rolling
      0 Not allowed!

Ok ... I will provide the space and bandwidth.... it will be a subdomain off megaforums.com - maybe sgweb.megaforums.com or something along that lines ... I will need someone to run and moderator the board - so please PM or email me... any body ?
      0 Not allowed!

just thinking of the software to use ? I tried phpbb2 - its easy - any commments if we were to use this for our forum ?

if you guys don't like sgweb.megaforums.com - you can always suggestion something else or would you prefer allwebtips.com ?

I own allwebtips.com but have not developed it. So, if you guys like the domain name, I could let it out...
      0 Not allowed!

I suggest a new domain name for the forum, it's only $8.88 from namecheap.com .
    Maybe someone suggest a domain name?
      0 Not allowed!

These are available:

{conservative}
    SGWEBHOSTS.COM
    SGWEBMASTERS.COM

{whacky with some local flavour}
    WEBCHUKANG.COM
    WEBKOPITIAM.COM
      0 Not allowed!

Haha... here are a few more for consideration:

sg-isp.com
    sgisptalk.com
    isptalk.com
    sghostingtalk.com
    sghosts.com

huh... just type whatever come to my mind

Regards,
    Choon
      0 Not allowed!

Actually this is a very good idea as i have discuss this issue with freehtml when my ex-vB forum and website were hijacked by a local webhosting co because i told them that i am not going to partner with them. During that phase i was left with only the vB licence, if you all are going into it maybe we can come out with something. As i have some experience in maintaining forum such as what sitepoint.com, webhostingtalk.com does for their advertisement, wide range of funny smilies, forum hacks and etc....
    Last edited by Marcus Lau; 06-26-2002 at 05:20 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Royong
    Ok ... I will provide the space and bandwidth.... it will be a subdomain off megaforums.com - maybe sgweb.megaforums.com or something along that lines ... I will need someone to run and moderator the board - so please PM or email me... any body ?
    I had expereince in administareing phpBB2 as well as vB forums

I can also moderate the forums if needed.

Will a new domain name be better or like wat Royong suggested, using his sub-domain?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by choon
    Haha... here are a few more for consideration:

sg-isp.com
    sgisptalk.com
    isptalk.com
    sghostingtalk.com
    sghosts.com

huh... just type whatever come to my mind

Regards,
    Choon
    sgwebhosttips.com
    sgwebmastertips.com
    sghostingtips.com
      0 Not allowed!

I'm from SG too.

Out of curiousity, why do you guys wanna start a new forum when we have this one alr?

In any case, do let me know when this is started. Finding a reliable host is such an uphill tasks. It'd be great to exchange experiences.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by retrok
    I'm from SG too.

Out of curiousity, why do you guys wanna start a new forum when we have this one alr?

In any case, do let me know when this is started. Finding a reliable host is such an uphill tasks. It'd be great to exchange experiences.
    Because many thing is localised and may not applies to other country.

Why does Singapore had one H***z***.com when there is so many hardware site??
      0 Not allowed!

Hello guys,

i hope i am not to late to declare that i am a Singaporean.

In any case, do let me know when this is started. Finding a reliable host is such an uphill tasks. It'd be great to exchange experiences
    Well, most of the webhosting providers in singapore are freelancers.

It will be good great to find those who have a office & a support line to call when you need help.

This is just my 5 cents worth of experience and research over the pass 4-5years.
    Darius Low

Nodens Solutions Pte Ltd
    "where there is freedom in your choice"
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by freehtml

Because many thing is localised and may not applies to other country.
    Could you please give me more details on this?

Why does Singapore had one H***z***.com when there is so many hardware site??
    I personally don't think this is a good comparison. When you deal with computer hardware, you're talking about commodities. The range of different product types and specification is far greater than that of webhosting. There is ample market space for such a setup. (I'm not implying that this site should be a commercial entity to be valid)

Also, I'm not sure about what the site model will be like. In the case of the reference site you pointed out, it is a place for more than just a forum. Whilst it is an essential driver, it is not everything. Content, both original and aggregated, is also available.

Perhaps it be good to have things like accreditation, a managed knowledgebase on choosing a webhost and some other typical content that most sites like this have.

No offense, I'm not trying to run down the idea. Just that I think this is a valid point to think about - what exactly will the site offer. If you just wanna discuss local issues, you can post a similar thread such as this over here. Looking at it, this thread actually garnered quite a bit of attention from otherwise scattered SG visitors.

Lastly, given the fact that many of us are looking to overseas hosting, it's actually a great idea to come here where you get more broad-based opinions on these companies.

My 2cents...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DaRiUs
    Hello guys,

i hope i am not to late to declare that i am a Singaporean.

Well, most of the webhosting providers in singapore are freelancers.

It will be good great to find those who have a office & a support line to call when you need help.

This is just my 5 cents worth of experience and research over the pass 4-5years.
    I had experience with few local webhost and had not tried calling their support line even though I faced problem, what I do is I will email them or iCQ them.
      0 Not allowed!

Could you please give me more details on this?
    Since many US web host accept crediat card and so, for singaporeans who don't have access to credit cards or debit cards will not be able to pay thru CC or paypal.

But for local host you can pay more easily.

I personally don't think this is a good comparison. When you deal with computer hardware, you're talking about commodities. The range of different product types and specification is far greater than that of webhosting. There is ample market space for such a setup. (I'm not implying that this site should be a commercial entity to be valid)

Also, I'm not sure about what the site model will be like. In the case of the reference site you pointed out, it is a place for more than just a forum. Whilst it is an essential driver, it is not everything. Content, both original and aggregated, is also available.
    What you say is true, because when I replied the post, that site comes into my mind.

But price in Singapore is much more varied whereas in US , the price is much more competitive.

Perhaps it be good to have things like accreditation, a managed knowledgebase on choosing a webhost and some other typical content that most sites like this have.

No offense, I'm not trying to run down the idea. Just that I think this is a valid point to think about - what exactly will the site offer. If you just wanna discuss local issues, you can post a similar thread such as this over here. Looking at it, this thread actually garnered quite a bit of attention from otherwise scattered SG visitors.

Lastly, given the fact that many of us are looking to overseas hosting, it's actually a great idea to come here where you get more broad-based opinions on these companies.

My 2cents...
    A managed hosting konwledge base is a good idea also, especially for newbie into choosing host for hosting their site.
      0 Not allowed!

I had experience with few local webhost and had not tried calling their support line even though I faced problem, what I do is I will email them or iCQ them.
    For me, i cannot to afford to give just email support & icq is totally out of the support issues.

Peace of mind to clients is what i embark on.
    Darius Low

Nodens Solutions Pte Ltd
    "where there is freedom in your choice"
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast