Question of Amperes and Sockets

Hello,

If I need 30amp for some servers, the DC give me the option to install 2 outlets of 20amp or one of 30amp, but that of 30amp they say that has different connection, if I connect a converter power strip in the outlet of 30amp to connect my APCs of 20amp (120V), there can be some problem / inconvenient or is exactly the same thing?

I attach file with images.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03685.JPG   DSC03687.JPG  

Are the 2x20AMP on differnet phases or on the same one. I would personally go with 20A as it means you could load up to 80% of 40A rather than 80% of 30A. It sounds like 2x20A will be better andsafer for you with your existing setup
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

At present I have 2 racks with 60amp (30amp each), this will utilize also less than 30amp, if I install 2x20amp is more expensive price than 1x30amp, on the capacity I know that will function. What I need to know is if will work in the same way with the converter power strip and there will not be problem with the conversion.

Thanks,

If you do decide to get a 30A circuit, then you can have an electrician make you a special L5-30 to L5-20 converter to be able to use your 20A power strip. If you plan to use two power strips at some point, then you'll probably want to have him make a splitter box that will give you two L5-20 plugs. When I need custom electrical work done, I just tell an electrician what I need to do, and he gets out his tools and makes it.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

It looks like you have one one L6-30P on your APC. The single L6-30P will not plug into two L5-20R 's. There isn't a converter that can combine the two.

If you purchased on APC with an L5-20P and used two of the, you should be fine.

The voltage and phasing (single) for L5-20 and L6-30 are the same. Only the wire size and plug style are different. The different plug keeps someone from expecting 30amps from a 20amp plug.

I'm sorry I am not an expert in electricity and I have not understood :-)

If I connect the power strip of my attached image to socket of 30amp, I will be able to utilize the electrical sockets as if out of 20amp in the same way, any inconveniente? exactly the same thing?

Thanks!

There's no problem with the "conversion". The voltage is the same--it's just the plug type that's different. Same wiring, same everything--just a different plug. As long as that power strip has a 30 A breaker and its plug fits into the receptacle provided by your data center, you should be able to run 30 A worth of equipment on it without a problem.

Not sure, but I think he has a 120v 20 amp power strip (L5-20P) and is asking if he can plug it into a provided 120v 30 amp receptacle (L5-30). This will physically not work unless you get the mentioned adapter, or cut off the end and install a L5-30P end. This still would not benefit him because his power strip is probably rated/protected at 20 amps if it is a L5-20...
    TheCardBoard - Business Card Bulletin Board

Quote Originally Posted by VA PAIX
    Not sure, but I think he has a 120v 20 amp power strip (L5-20P) and is asking if he can plug it into a provided 120v 30 amp receptacle (L5-30). This will physically not work unless you get the mentioned adapter, or cut off the end and install a L5-30P end. This still would not benefit him because his power strip is probably rated/protected at 20 amps if it is a L5-20...

You're right, like you say there is a difference of voltaje/tension, if I connect the powerstrip of the image, will function all as if was 20A but with 30 amperes?

Thanks,

please some information. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doble
    You're right, like you say there is a difference of voltaje/tension, if I connect the powerstrip of the image, will function all as if was 20A but with 30 amperes?
    With a converter cable/box, you can plug your 20A (L5-20) power strip into a 30A (L5-30) circuit, but your power strip still only limits you to 20A. If you need to use more than 20A, then you would need two power strips (and 2 L5-20 sockets). For that reason, it might be best to just get a new power strip that is rated for 30A.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    With a converter cable/box, you can plug your 20A (L5-20) power strip into a 30A (L5-30) circuit, but your power strip still only limits you to 20A. If you need to use more than 20A, then you would need two power strips (and 2 L5-20 sockets). For that reason, it might be best to just get a new power strip that is rated for 30A.

And if I connect a conversor power strip to 30A socket and a second power strip in the first conversor power strip, I will be able to utilize in the power strip 20AMP in each one but limited to the 30AMP of the socket?

thanks!

please some information. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet

" And if I connect a conversor power strip to 30A socket and a second power strip in the first conversor power strip, I will be able to utilize in the power strip 20AMP in each one but limited to the 30AMP of the socket? "

please help me on this. Thank you.

And if I connect a conversor power strip to 30A socket and a second power strip in the first conversor power strip, I will be able to utilize in the power strip 20AMP in each one but limited to the 30AMP of the socket?
    If it's rated for 30A, and it has the right plugs, sure. But you can't use more than 20A on each 20A power strip, even if you chain them together.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

" And if I connect a conversor power strip to 30A socket and a second power strip in the first conversor power strip, I will be able to utilize in the power strip 20AMP in each one but limited to the 30AMP of the socket? "

please help me on this. Thank you.

That picture you posted of box LD3-33 is a gnax circuit

Just an FYI, it is against code and they will not allow you to plut a 20A outlet on a 30A circuit.

You may be able to get away with using a conversion strip for your plug change but I do know that you can't just put two l5-20 recepticals on a single 30A circuit.

Then as I can utilize the 30AMP on 30A socket utilizing connections of 5-15R 120V for APCs and Switch?

thanks!

Then as I can utilize the 30AMP on 30A socket utilizing connections of 5-15R 120V for APCs and Switch?
    NEMA 5-15 is what most equipment will be using, so that's what you would find as the outputs on any power strip, whether it's a 15A power strip, a 20A power strip, or a 30A power strip. Just make sure the power strip that you buy is rated for 30A.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

Definitvely:

And if I connect a power strip to 30A socket to have more connectors of 30A (not single) and I connect there 2 converter power strip of 20A I will be able to utilize as if they were 20x2 but limited to this 30A?

thanks!

somebody have idea of this?

" Definitvely:

And if I connect a power strip to 30A socket to have more connectors of 30A (not single) and I connect there 2 converter power strip of 20A I will be able to utilize as if they were 20x2 but limited to this 30A?

thanks! "

Doble, just remember that all circuits are rated at 80%duty cycle; that is, you can only utilize 24amps continuously on a 30 amp circuit if you want to make sure it never trips.

Hello,

The use of the power strip to have more than 1 connector of 30A and the 2 conversor power strip of 20A, they utilize some power energy or amp?

thanks!

power strip

no, the power strip does not use any measurable power if nothing is plugged into it.

Doble, you should consider the 30amp power strip with a 5-30 plug. this will give you multiple receptacles on the 30 amp strip to plug in multiple plugs. Most have 8 receptacles on them. If you need more than 8, then use multiple 15amp or 20 amp strips to plug into the 30 amp one to give you more receptacles. Also, another option is a 30 amp strip with more than 8 receptacles. Might be the most cost effective option. BTW, the 30 amp strips are rather pricey.