how can I find a dedicated hosting with netboot

I have already been spending quite a lot of time trying to find a ISP which could have the following features:
    - rescue netboot (booting a rescue environnement for Linux kernel via PXE)
    - reboot service with APC or any other
    - Linux FC5 or centOS

I already have machines at Dedibox.fr (I have reasonably happy with these 5 machines). But I need to have a backup (2 others) at another place.

I also tried OVH.fr. But I did not like it. I am looking for another place like London or Amsterdam Or Germany (somewhere in Europe).

Excuse me for my question, but i'm not understand what is netboot?

Quote Originally Posted by NameServer
    Excuse me for my question, but i'm not understand what is netboot?
    Is a feature that allows you to boot from the network instead of booting from your harddisk. This is isued for rescuing your system when you have misconfigured something or when your system has crashed and can't recover automaticaly.
    This can also be used to restaure a completly crashed system (for exemple your can restaure all data on a brand new disk if the production disk has been destroyed - burned or whatever).

Netboot is a feature that is absolutely nescessary in order to provide a dedicated hosting service. Neverthless very few ISPs can undertsand this. Some ISPs will prefer to sell service (reconfiguration) rather than providing this function.

have a look at www.easyspeedy.com they are located in Copehagen, Denmark. They have all the features you request.

I am on my third month with them and have been very impressed.

writeln, thanx a lot. Why don't you prefer dedi in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by wolle
    have a look at xxxxx they are located in Copehagen, Denmark. They have all the features you request.

I am on my third month with them and have been very impressed.
    Thank you for the information.

The exact usage of the "netboot rescue" feature is not precisely described on their website. I guess that I'll have to hire a server for 1 month in order to see what it is exactly.

Have your tried it? Is it something where you can log into the root account and do your own stuff (mount partition, repair, edit config files)?

It doesn't seem to be possible to choose partitioning. Did you do your own partitioning when you instaled your Linux OS?

Quote Originally Posted by NameServer
    writeln, thanx a lot. Why don't you prefer dedi in the USA?
    Because my users (people who acces my websites) are located in France and most of them in Paris, France.

The recovery netboot tool boots a minimal Linux OS (I think it is based on slackware but it is quite a while since I used it last so I can be wrong). You simply supply a root password in the CP then your server is rebooted and you can log into it via SSH and mount or manipulate your partitions in any way you like.

I did repartition the partitions except a 250 MB root partition. But it is a bit tricky to repartition the disk, when you have to move your data around and end up with a bootable system, but doable.

I know that easyspeedy have been working on a system so you can chose the partition layout before the OS reload I don't know whether it is ready, still in development or has been scrapped though.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wolle
    The recovery netboot tool boots a minimal Linux OS (I think it is based on slackware but it is quite a while since I used it last so I can be wrong). You simply supply a root password in the CP then your server is rebooted and you can log into it via SSH and mount or manipulate your partitions in any way you like.

I did repartition the partitions except a 250 MB root partition. But it is a bit tricky to repartition the disk, when you have to move your data around and end up with a bootable system, but doable.

I know that easyspeedy have been working on a system so you can chose the partition layout before the OS reload I don't know whether it is ready, still in development or has been scrapped though.
    This "netboot" should be enough for me. Yes, I should be able to repartition if I can acces a rescue boot. I could even attempt a restore of an existing system then "mkinitrd" the ram disk in order to be able to boot properly with their hardware.

Thank you for your help.

I use a similar system in France that is only 30 eur exclusive VAT per month. The problem is that I need a backup in a separate machine room in order to be able to maintain a 24hours a day service. If you want the URL of my dedicated provider in France, send me a private message (I am not allowed to write URLs here because I am too young...). They offer 1MB RAM, C7 VIA CPU, 160GB SATA DISK, illimited bandwidth (100Mbits/s no trafic limit). The problems are: no hotline, can't buy if your don't have a bank account in France (you have to go through one of their retailers and price will be x2), some machines are not reliable. But you can swap machines when you want by just clicking in the console interface.