4 hops for ending web host

Any thoughts on why some web hosts we see 4 hops when a traceroute gets to their hosted IP's? Ie. For one web host we are interested to use, once traceroutes gets into their "network", it still take 3 more hops to complete the trace. Will this hurt users who visit a website hosted on their network?

No it will not.

As a matter of fact, its perfectly normal to see a couple more routes once you get inside their network. Its how the internet works and internal networks wok. What that shows you is that your going through a couple more routers thats in their network to get to your network segment.

99.9999% of the time the latency is the same inside the network as it is when you first hit their network. In other words say you hit the Companies border router @ 35ms latency...most of the time thats going to be the same latency that you see when the trace finishes.

So...no, that will not affect anything on speed.

Hey thanks for the reply. Much appreciated! Love learning all this new stuff.

No problem!

So how would you interpret the numbers if the trace leaves a major city then jumps form about 35ms to 100ms once it gets into the web host's routing?

show us the traceroute

Yeah let us see the traceroute...keep in mind that the way routers work, especially on big networks. Any ICMP packets / traceroutes etc will be set to low priority if a router is handling a lot of traffic...especially if its doing BGP updates or what not. This will cause the router to put the ICMP packets at the bottom of the list, thereby giving a bit higher of a resonse time when in fact the important stuff is still getting through.

Its not uncommon sometimes to see spikes in excess of 100ms on a traceroute.

If you think your getting some slow load times usually the best way to troubleshoot, is to ping about 100 times

ping host -n 100

and follow up with a couple traceroutes.

Will do. I won't post the ping times and traceroute here but will send them to both of your PM's.

either way works...theres probably other people who can take a look at them to if you post them in this thread and might have some more insight for you.

Just sent the times to your PM. I don't feel comfortable posting the web host's IP's in public. This is not meant as a rant or complaint, just a learning piece to help us decide on a web host. I would appreciate your feedback.

But what I can say is, ping times and trace times seem ok now since it is midnight. When the day light hours come, pings and traceroute times (on web host routers) consistently go over 100ms.

So not sure where to go with this. See my PM for full details.

I replied to your PM...I'll post some of what i replied back to you here.

Is this a cable connection?

In your PM you mentioned you only get about 130KB when normally you get 480KB on speakeasy Speed tests...does this improve during the midnight hours, or is it the same speed 24/7?