About to buy a server...

I'm about to buy a server for my clan. Its not for gameservers but more for the website, HLStats and perhaps a Ventrilo server and maps etc.

I don't have much experience with web server stuff, but I did come across a program before I reformatted and lost the link for it. What it did was it installed mySQL, PHP, sorted nameservers out and FTP for you etc all in one. I'm sure it would be a sacrifice for resource and what not but it would be a lot easier for me to use it that doing everything manually.

Does anyone know what I might be on about? Or for that matter, know of something similar that I could use?

Thanks,
    Alex

There are quite a few; you may wish to start by looking at cpanel, directadmin, plesk, and webmin (the only free one I've listed).

I'm not sure if it was a control panel thats all. I guess it could have been/probably was.

It wasn't any of the main stream ones though. It was something that sounded like "Xamba" or something, but I've googled it and it wasn't that.

well most of the time most servers you order will come with one of the above CP's that were mentioned...some of them for free..some of then for a small fee per month. But all of them will dow hat you talked about...the handle email, ftp, SQL, php etc.

If you want to test out Cpanel see if its what you want shoot me a PM, I'll hook you up with a bogus account on one of my servers so you can see if it would work for you....do note that I'm not a provider so I can't provide you with a package or web hosting, just let you see if Cpanel is something that your looking for.

I think you would be better off getting management, and/or a control panel to help you setup, and monitor the server.

cPanel would be my reccomendation.

There are a lot of security things that need (Or will need) to be corrected/setup also.

I'm really not going to be putting anything on there confidential. I'm not after any management, I'm not a complete noob when it comes to running servers. Just something that will same some time and have everything organised by the same program.

Lonsdale,

If you are not running a gameserver do yourself a favour and get directadmin. While cpanel is a good control panel and I even use it, Directadmin is an easier control panel and its lighter on resources. What you are referring to is just a LAMP installer probably Xampp. Trust me you don't want that as if you are just wanting to run your site and not stress about apache configs etc. The control panel is not just about installing stuff but for managing it.

I apologize for asking this but doesn't your company edge12 actually do dedicated servers?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Thats what I was talking about Raul!

Yes we do Raul, but we don't do low-end specs which is all I'm after We're mainly offering specs capable of running gameservers on. I'm just after something that can host some files and a website for reasonably light use

Are there an reliable free ones around? Perhaps for windows? Or am I being too optimistic?
    Last edited by Lonsdale; 10-22-2006 at 07:16 PM.

For windows you can use plesk but that has a cost. I have heard good things about http://www.cubepanel.com which is free for up to 30 domains and is windows based.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

You could go the easier route and get a VPS. If you are merely running ventrilo and a small/medium website it will be a much cheaper route, especially since VPS's tend to be managed or semi-managed by the provider
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.