CPU for scientific workstation

Hi,

I am looking for a simulation workstation CPU.

Some questions that I encounter.

Should I go for AMD 64x2 CPU or opteron(dual core)?

What does opteron 200-series and 800-series differ in? 2-way vs 8-ways? what does this mean?

How about the FX series?

Assistance please.

Thanks

I would go with the Opteron, it's specifically built for servers and workstations. I'm not familiar with the 800 series, a quick check on newegg listed the 885 at $2,200 so I'm assuming it's a high end server processor, either way at that price I would think you would want to stick with the 200 series.

The FX series is mainly designed for gaming, and in my opinion they're not worth the price. The FX-55 was $1000 a year ago and now you can pick one up for $200, it really doesn't seem worth the price to me considering how quickly they become obsolete.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Me, being an Intel addict, would go for an Xeon Woodcrest (the new ones), or an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, but I'm not sure how the latter would handle scientific things.

I agree that a Core 2 Duo would probably be the best choice if you're going to go Intel, but I wasn't sure if that was an option.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

I would say almost any generic CPUs will do fine wouldn't it? Unless you have specific needs. E.g. if you do lots of floating point calculations, you'll have to look at the processor architectures (or ask someone who remembers them off the top of their heads and have no life ) and find one which has more FPUs If your needs are really specific and you need vector calculations, you might even be able to adapt a graphics card for your needs.

But for a general purpose computer, I'd go with Core 2 Duo, seeing that it is the current performance leader

Ok, so the FX is essentially a crippled Opteron. The opteron has 3 Hypertransports, so does the FX, but the FX has two of them disabled. The opteron 200 series is a max 2 way proc, and the 800 series is a max 8 way proc. I would go with a dual core opteron.

Dustin has touched on it a little above, but pretty much all the current gen offerings from intel and AMD are the same, the difference mostly between ranges is how many processors you put on a motherboard as well as certain features disabled on low end chips. There is also the issue of what sort of memory do you need. Of course really you need to look at the applications that will be used before deciding. I expect in the end you will want to be looking at either a dual processor, dual core Opteron 200 or 2000 series or Intel Woodcrest setup with ECC, registered or fully buffered memory.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 10-23-2006 at 08:14 AM.