can i mount a non-empty hard-disk without data loss?

i had my hdd physically moved from an old server to a new one.

what i did not know however (i am a total n00b) was that the hdd would need to be mounted on the new server.

now the support (platinum server management people) says that if they mount the disk there is a potential risk of data loss.

i dont want to lose the data at any cost!

could someone help here?

system specs:
    CentOS 4.4 i686
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-R47

some more info:
    both drives are LVM

thx a lot already!
    Last edited by chillax; 10-21-2006 at 04:01 PM.

The potential risk of data loss is unlikely, unless the drive was taken offline because it was already failing.

The only reason I can think of the drive losing data by plugging it into a new host and mounting it would be because it was already somewhat corrupted, and when a new fsck runs... it "corrects" the drive into oblivion.

Assuming the old drive was working fine, and the machine it was in previously was shutdown cleanly... I can't imagine you'll have many problems.

the DC is behaving quite rudely and i dont think it will evoke any meaningful response if i asked them whether the hdd was in perfect condition when they removed it from last box and plugged it into new one.

still i have asked them... lets see if they reply...

sorry for double post...

but is there a way i can know BEFOREHAND that the disk is not corrupted in any which way and i can proceed with the mount process without problem?

Plug the drive in... boot up the machine normally.

Assuming bios detects it and there are no critical errors... you are most likely going to be fine.

Once the machine is booted try to manualy mount all the partitions on the drive.
    If the previous machine was uncleanly shutdown.. it should warn you that before mounting the partition that it needs to go through a fsck.

Hopefully the prior system was shutdown cleanly... and the partitions will just mount without any command response.

If it does say that they need an fsck...you might want to cancel it or say no... and seek further advice... But, in most cases... it's not going to hurt it to just have the OS do the fsck.

LVM drives will be hard to mount remotelly.

thx a lot for the replies and advice guys

the PSM guys suggested me something else and it worked.. heres the workaround:

> take out the new server's HDD.
    > mount the old server's HDD as the primary one and boot off it.
    > now mount the new server's hdd as slave.

since the new server's hdd is fresh and empty, the risk of data loss is not there