LiquidWeb Vs ServInt Vs DataPipe Vs Steadfast ? - Please help me to make a decision !

Hi All,
    I am newbie to hosting as well as this forum (Entered the internet world just 1 year back with my website).

I need your help in making my decision about "Fully Managed Dedicated Server Hosting"

I have 4 websites that are of fairly high traffic (around 6 million page views per month - all the 4 sites combined). So I want to move them to a dedicated server. I can afford 300 - 450 $ per month.

Following is my short-list after around 15 days of research. (I have ruled out RACKSPACE because of too high cost)

1) LiquidWeb : Looked good in all aspects except the bandwidth. I didn't like the 1000 GB IN & 1000 GB OUT bandwidth concept. Moreover, the upgrade plans seem to be very limited in terms of bandwidth (considering the future growth of my sites). The extra bandwidth seems to be costing toomuch. Apart from this factor, I would have directly chosen LiquidWeb. I wish they had more flexible bandwidth plans.

2) ServInt : Looks good for upgrade plans. Will consider it if LiquidWeb is ruled out completely.

3) DataPipe : They haven't displayed their pricing at the website. So assuming little costlier. Nevertheless I have sent them a mail and yet to receive reply.

4) Steadfast : Don't know much details about their service. But I received the fastest reply for my 'sales' enquiry though not as detailed as expected. Extra bandwidth costs $1 per GB. This looks Ok.

My Other "mandatory" Requirements:
    1) One of my websites is a forum with 80,000 members and typically 600 users online. We need to send daily mails to registered members apart from the automatic mails for topic subscriptions, memberships etc. So the SMTP server should support around 2,00,000 mails per day.

2) I am not a "technical" person though I can learn very fast. So I need the support people to be very patient & friendly. I donít know much about technical things like DNS, MX record changes, new database creation etc. So the hosting company should be doing it for me (in case of need) or assisting me to great detail. They should not be charging extra for these small things.

3) The hosting company should have good security measures in place and should respond fast in case of "hacking" and any other security issues. (My website already got hacked once on a shared server.)

My Questions :-
    1) Please share your experiences with above hosts and enlighten me about any factors I might have missed. If you know any other "excellent" hosts, please do make your comments.

2) I am going for Dual Xeon Processors (2.8 GHz), RAID, 2 GB RAM. Is this configuration Ok or do I need more ? How many online users it can support ?

3) How many GB of bandwidth will be needed for 6 million page views ? (Approximation will be good enough)

Hm, I don't think it's fair to put datapipe in league with the rest of the providers. Datapipe is one of the best, that is if you don't mind pay extra.

The rest of them are good providers, you may search around for their reviews. Please correct me if I'm wrong that Liquidweb, ServInt and steadfast only provide management service if you opt for control panel.

Steadfast offers a mid-west location and is a hands-on company, not to mention many great reviews on WHT.

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng
    Hm, I don't think it's fair to put datapipe in league with the rest of the providers. Datapipe is one of the best, that is if you don't mind pay extra.

The rest of them are good providers, you may search around for their reviews. Please correct me if I'm wrong that Liquidweb, ServInt and steadfast only provide management service if you opt for control panel.
    Speaking for ServInt, we've been managing servers without control panels for much longer than those with them.
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

I don't think it's fair to put datapipe in league with the rest of the providers. Datapipe is one of the best, that is if you don't mind pay extra.
    Thank You Whei for the reply. But as I have mentioned, this is the first time I am entering "dedicated" world because of toomuch of growth in last 1 year. So I don't even know who are the players in this area (Leave alone knowing who are the best). I spent 15 full days of effort in reaching to this list.

DataPipe may be one of the best. But not mentioning at least the basic prices on website does not sound too good to me.

Liquidweb, ServInt and steadfast only provide management service if you opt for control panel.
    I prefer control panel for easy management. So that's fine for me.

Steadfast offers a mid-west location and is a hands-on company
    I intentionally sent my 'sales' query just before weekend. The only company I received immediate reply from is Steadfast (no replies from other companies, but that's understandable). That gives me the 1 st good impression on Steadfast. Let me see. I want to take the decision very carefully as I don't like changing hosting companies every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ksnprasad
    I intentionally sent my 'sales' query just before weekend. The only company I received immediate reply from is Steadfast (no replies from other companies, but that's understandable). That gives me the 1 st good impression on Steadfast. Let me see. I want to take the decision very carefully as I don't like changing hosting companies every year.

Hi Ksnprasad,
    Is that to say that you did not receive a response from Liquid Web? I hope this is not the case. What is your ticket number? I would like to look into this for you.
    Thank you
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

Is that to say that you did not receive a response from Liquid Web? I hope this is not the case. What is your ticket number? I would like to look into this for you.
    I am not talking about the initial response. Everyone gave that along with a support request Id. When I sent a 2 liner that I want Managed Hosting, I got a reply from Ben Reiter. Then I sent my complete requirement as a word document and asked him the complete details of the plan that suits me. No reply yet !

However I can understand the 'weekend' factor. So no compaints. If you want to look at, TICKET ID# 492345

If you can reply to my doubt on bandwidth limitations & upgrade plan limitations of LiquidWeb, that will be great.

Just an update for those interested.

Just received reply ( 2 nd fastest ) from "ServInt". It's very very detailed (and informative) and answered almost all my queries (around 20). This is what I was expecting from a 'sales' guy. Happy to see that. Let me see what's in store.

Question 2 more small questions

2 more small questions guys ! Please help.

Moving to dedicated server (from Shared server) results in better speeds (of accessing the website) or not ?

I am in India and most of my visitors (99%) are in India. Will it make any "speed" difference to users (when accessing my website kept on the dedicated server in US) ?

If your previous host was located in India and and if you switch to a US-based host you will have higher latency which will result in longer response times, although going from shared to dedicated should boost your performance since you're no longer on a shared box.
    -Mr Bister

Out of the 4, I'd say Steadfast and DataPipe have the fastest and more performance oriented networks. Steadfast has lots of great reviews around here so that's a plus too. DataPipe seems to be in the "Rackspace.com" league so I don't know if their pricing would entirely fit your needs.

LiquidWeb is a good company, but you may not like their network's performance as much as they backhaul from Washington, DC and Chicago for everything except AT&T...whereas other data centers / server providers just connect directly in the same city or even the same data center (crosslink).

Instead of a Dual Xeon you'd probably be better off looking at a Dual Opteron. The old Dual Xeon processors you refer to are inferior in terms of performance and just overall bang for the buck.

HTH

If your previous host was located in India and and if you switch to a US-based host you will have higher latency which will result in longer response times
    Yeah, My current host is in India, but it's shared hosting. So site gets down once in every 2 days because of high resource usage. I tried for a good managed hosting here, but found none. So I turned to US based hosts.

So you mean to say, the nearer host to my location (apart from quality network) should result in lower latency ?

If I select UK host, will that improve the situation ? (Europe is near to India than US)

Instead of a Dual Xeon you'd probably be better off looking at a Dual Opteron.
    I have zero knowledge about servers. Thank You for suggestion. I will make that change in my specs. But I am just wondering the prices for Xeon and Opteron are more or less same. Why so ?

Steadfast seems to be good. But fully managed services there costs 75$ extra.

Do you have any comments on ServInt's network performance ? I had good reviews about their "out of the way" customer service. And prices seem to be far more reasonable than others.

I am just wondering about latency. What are all non-US people (like me) doing ? Where are they going to (for hosting services) if they don't have good managed hosts in their countries ? I think the option is "US". If they go for US hosts, how they are bearing with higher latency ?

One more small question guys. Please clarify.

What's the difference in choosing "1200GB Bandwidth (100 Mbit/sec port)" option and "10 Mbit/sec Dedicated" option ?

What's the exact difference between 10 Mbit/sec & 100 Mbit/sec. What does it signify ? Does it mean unlimited bandwidth ?

Quote Originally Posted by ksnprasad
    One more small question guys. Please clarify.

What's the difference in choosing "1200GB Bandwidth (100 Mbit/sec port)" option and "10 Mbit/sec Dedicated" option ?

What's the exact difference between 10 Mbit/sec & 100 Mbit/sec. What does it signify ? Does it mean unlimited bandwidth ?

1200GB Bandwidth (100mbit/sec port) means you will be sharing the 100mbit pipe with some dedicated servers and will be able allowed to draw 1200Gigs of traffic from that pipe. If you draw more.. you will have to pay $$$ dependings on what their rate is.

10 Mbit/sec (dedicated I'm assuming) means that 10mbit pipe is all yours. You will be able to max it out. In theory you will be able to able to get like 3000GB per month but you will never get that much from it.

I would recommend getting the 100mbit/1200gb because I don't think you will ever use up that much per month. Nice thing about having the 100mbit is that it would seems to me that your site might get hit alot during peak times for you and it might exceed 10mbit. Please be aware that this is my guess and for all who knows you might never exceed it depending on your site.

The nice thing is that you are from India and since your audience is mostly all from India, it would mean that peak time for your sites will be in the non peak time for US so you will have LESS competition for that 100mbit pipe.

Datapipe might be a little outside of your budget, but they're a superb host. Compare Datapipe to Rackspace, Xiolink etc. We've had servers with them for about a year, and it's been one of the best hosting experiences I've ever had, and I've been with dozens and dozens of hosts over the last 10+ years.

Datapipe might be a little outside of your budget, but they're a superb host.
    DearJDMundo.
    Thanks a lot for the inputs.
    Did you have any experience with ServInt or Steadfast ?
    If so, can you please pass your comments.
    ------
    ksn

I've been with steadfast for coming up a year soon and have never questioned if it was a bad idea.

Their sales department was fast to talk to me, and even faster to get me setup (I had a box within a couple hours). Their support has been very helpful with things like ip's, reverse DNS, custom routing, etc.

Karl is always helpful on AIM for things like billing and the likes as well :-)

For the bandwidth, i'm sure if you're needing it in a block that sales can work a deal of sorts :-)

You can't go wrong with 'em.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Hi All,
    Also please provide any inputs regarding "VOXEL.net". I have read some good reviews about VOXEL. However if any of you has personal experience with their dedicated server, please share !

I would go with softlayer.com to be honest. They have a somewhat solid network (other then these router issues/downtime they keep having (4 in 10 months), which last a few minutes.) There bandwidth rates are great 2000GB with every server and $100/month per 1000GB extra. They house top of the line hardware. If I had to choose out of the above 4 tho, I'd go with liquidweb or steadfast.

I would go with softlayer.com to be honest. They have a somewhat solid network
    Yep, I did consider them. But they seem to have only "dedicated" hosting, not "managed". I need managed hosting only and don't intend to use 3 rd party services for that. That's the reason I ruled them out.

DataPipe : Seems to be much costlier for my budget :-)
    LiquidWeb : Looks good, but limited upgrade options in terms of bandwidth.

Steadfast & ServInt :- Looks like more or less same cost and both have reputation for excellent customer service. Steadfast seems to edge in good network and ServInt seems to edge in bandwidth offer. I need to choose.