Newbie: Need info on creating domain

Hi

I am a web designer in learning. I am going to start creating sites and have them hosted just for practice purposes, more than likely on a free host (No clients in 2007).
    I am being told to create my own domain name. What is the best way to do that?
    How about choosing that domain name, are there any tips to help me as I might keep that domain for my future web design business?
    I am afraid to pick a name too cheezy at first.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

if you are nervous about selecting a name for yourself, you could buy a domain in the aftermarket. Try the aftermarket domain sales providers, sedo, afternic, tdnam, or the aftermarket forums at dnforum or namepros.
    Signature Under Construction.

Thanks Stu

Hi

I will check your links out. I think I might be able to come up with a name but since I have never done it, I am looking for tips on what to call or not.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

i some times think of names in other languages? greek names come out really well for some reason. Or you could put maybe 10 good names that are available in a hat and pick one out? its not the name that people will be looking at. Its your quality of work and service.

good luck!

Thanks a lot

Great tip on languages, I am fluent in french so maybe I'll find something cool.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

You know there must be a keyword in your domain. It'll be very important for further optimization of your site. And this keyword must be closely connected with your business.

Keyword

Hi

About keyword you mean like a butcher shop should have one like "Meat" or "Poultry" or even "butcher" in it, something like that?
    I am wondering about .net and .us right now, a lot more available with these top level domains. What do you all think about a "Mynamehere.net"?

Thanks

Patrick

Do you intend to have a commercial or hobby website? If it's commercial, you really should have a .com domain (although there are a few exceptions). If it's a hobby site, then almost any other extension is ok. Keywords in domains are usually important, but you can overcome a lack of keyword by good seo (seach engine optimisation) and content. You could also choose a goofy nonsensical name and brand it to your website. We'd really need to know more about your intentions.

Stu

Definitely a business I am planning on. I am going to start building websites for fun and practice in 2007. I will get my new domain name hosted and will create sub-domains for other sites. I am planning on creating 5-10 in 2007 for practice purposes and review by fellow web designers and friends.No sales planned for the next year.
    I would like to have a name and keep it in the future, use people to see it, make a logo, get business cards eventually and so on....

Thanks

Patrick

I'd definitely go with .com domain then. somethingdesign.com or somethingstudios.com might be ok for such a website. Of course, replace "something" with something else With that idea you might be able to find a name unregistered, and you wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg if you were to buy something in the aftermarket. You'd definitely get a reasonbly good domain for under $100. Try TDNAM.com. It's $5/yr to join, but well worth it.

Bought my domain on Godaddy

Stu and anyone in the know.

I went to Tdnam.com and bought a $5 domain name. I browsed like 20 pages of auctions using their fine search features.Only two attracted me including 1 that I couldn't pass, I am thrilled.
    Confirmation purchase was emailed to me, I bought the domain $5, membership $5 and domain renewal $9.
    What is next? How do I register the site? I went to a Whois site and it is still listed as belonging to the seller and being auctionned via Godaddy?

Thanks for your help

Patrick

Wow! Congrats. It takes 14 days before it appears in your GoDaddy control panel. So you'll need to open up a free account at GoDaddy.com, if you haven't already done so.

You will now need to contact a webhost. Don't use Godaddy for hosting. There are a million opinions about both domain registrars and webhosts. For a beginner, you couldn't do much better than Hostgator.com.

BTW. Since you are now the proud owner of the domiain, what was the name you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by vaindioux
    How do I register the site?
    What do you mean by 'register the site'? You register *domain*, but *create/design/code* the website.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Wrong terminology used

Stan

I got too excited, I meant "Register the domain".

Patrick