My wireless connection has disappeared

I am facing difficulty with my wireless USB stick. I was repairing my wireless connection then it just froze, and then i canceled the repair. Then right after that i checked Network Connections in windows XP, and my wireless connection wasen't there anymore? ! I can't find it anymore. My wireless software utility doesn't allow me to connect to the wireless network anymore, and I need the wireless connection back in Network Connections so i can connect to my wireless network aagain. How can I bring back the wireless connection icon to my Network Connections? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but no luck yet.

Best Regards

If you unplug the wireless adapter and then plug it back in does the found new hardware notification pop up?
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

I tried to unplug it out, then back in, but nothing happens, and still can't see the wireless icon in Network Connections

If you go control panel > system > hardware > device manager and then click on network adapters, does it show up there?

Yeah, it shows in the devide manager under network adapters.

Does it have the little symbol next to it or is it working properly?

It is quite possible the network stack is corrupted, try a system restore if you have it enabled.

There are other ways to fix it but try system restore first ...

Dan

In control panel there is no symbol next to it. I have tried system restore, but it still doesn't appear.

Hmm that's weird. So according to Windows it's functioning normally, but it's not working? If you have access to another wireless adapter then I would try that out to see if you can discover what the root of the problem is.

Yea the problem is.. I can't connect to the wireless network, because the wireless software utility won't me connect for some reason, but i can search for the network and it finds it also using the utility software. If only i can get back the wireless icon in Network Connections, and then i can use the windows wireless manager to connect to the network.

If you go to start > connect to > show all connections it's not there?

Nope, its not there.

Hmm, that's strange. I'm assuming it's not an issue with the router and that it is broadcasting a signal, Windows just isn't picking it up I guess. Never had that happen before personally so I don't know what to suggest :-\

XP services must have wireless service turned off

You no doubt have the service turned off in the services control module.

Go to your control panel / administrative tools / services and scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and check it is turned on.

It will than see and show your wieless connection on the taskbar when working

I have just tried that method. The service was started. I stopped it and restarted it, but still on luck. I can't see my connection in the View Network Connections.
    One of my friends had a similar problem like this, except his internet worked. He can actually use the wireless software utility to configure and connect to a wireless airwave, but his wireless connection icon never showed in the network connections, although it should show. Maybe there is a way to configure the things that should appear in network connections. RazorBlue - Dan mentioned other ways to fix it?

Do you have the wireless icon in taskbar.. right click the icon and see if it is turned on there.

Also if you have a firewall other than windows XP firewall make sure the device is allowed there

The wireless icon (Computer screen and wireless waves) is not in the taskbar thus being not in the Network Connections.

try this

If you have XP restore enabled, go to a restore point before the problem started and reinstall the wireless network adapter.

This is assuming restore was enabled and this adapter worked previously.

If this is the first time installing the adapter and it all went sideways, than suspect the software.

Forgot to mention, these things probably need software installed first before plugging in the usb adapter. leav the software installation disk in the drive when after software install. than if the usb adapter when plugged in looks for the driver and can't find it you can point it to the disk.