Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie Q: Am I paying too much?

In an effort to just jump into web hosting I went with a local company near where I live. I'm paying $20 CDN per month ($15 per month + $5 for an extra host) for 200MB storage/5 GB transfer.

Even though I'm just starting I'm looking for the following features:

- not too heavy restriction on number of MySQL databases (I'll be using CMS or forum packages a lot)
    - probably a bit more transfer allowance should any of my websites take off
    - storage is probably not much of an issue as I try to keep my websites simple
    - ability to add extra hosts for no or little cost
    - reliability is important as I will be trying to make money from my websites
    - customer service is also important as I'm new to web hosting and I'm looking long term: I'd prefer not to change webhosts after a year

As I see it, the current host I have has pretty good support (based on reading their forums), although being local they only offer 24 hour support for emergencies, and they've been around for over a decade and have a pretty good reputation. They have no restriction on MySQL DBs but I'm worried that the cost of adding extra hosts will add up when I add more hosted domains.

I haven't read about their uptime percentage but they offer redundant servers as explained on their web page "we operate a cluster of multiple fault-tolerant servers and your web traffic is handled equally by all of them."

My question is if I am paying too much and if so, what would be a reasonable price I should be paying for my needs? I ask because I'd rather switch now before I have launched my websites rather than later which would make things a bit more difficult.

Thanks...and great forums you have here!

Matt

Price is a little higher than standard, but you have the benefit of physically visiting them if you have any questions or support requests.

There are cheaper hosts, and more expensive hosts.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

are you going to sell webspace to others?

If you take a look at IX Web Hosting under their Business Plus Plan, they offer: 300 gb of storage, 1,500 gb of data transfer and they also offer MYSQL for only $6.45/month. Thus, IX Web Hosting would be less than what you are currently paying. They also offer 24/7 support.
    Jump ahead with the Froggy Perspective... An Honest Review of the best web hosting companies and web hosting services... jump over to: http://www.zfroggy.com

1,500 gb of data transfer and they also offer MYSQL for only $6.45/month.

That's hilarious. It's been 2 years since I had a dedicated server. It was at Server Beach. I think I got 1000 GB w/ them. Guess things have changed? What are dedicated servers getting now? 1000 TB??

I wouldnt expect the same service from an extremely oversold host such as that.

If you enjoy uptime, I'd stick to paying a couple bucks more. Or atleast getting a realistic package.

If you think about it, you would need a dedicated 320GB hard drive and about $100 a month in bandwidth costs (give or take $$$$) so for $6.xx you're giving something up... Just keep that in mind.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Quote Originally Posted by meanpc

That's hilarious. It's been 2 years since I had a dedicated server. It was at Server Beach. I think I got 1000 GB w/ them. Guess things have changed? What are dedicated servers getting now? 1000 TB??
    Dedicated servers are not getting 1000 TB, web hosts who offer 1000 GB bandwidth have started overselling.

In an effort to just jump into web hosting I went with a local company near where I live. I'm paying $20 CDN per month ($15 per month + $5 for an extra host) for 200MB storage/5 GB transfer.
    Reliable web hosting companies are not easy to find, falling for the wrong host is very easy. If you're happy with them then I would advise not looking for a new host based on just the price, you're only paying 0.66 cents a day which sounds reasonable for the amount of disk space and bandwidth they are offering in Canada with their clustered service
    Last edited by 1Ali; 10-20-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Dedicated servers are not getting 1000 TB, web hosts who offer 1000 GB bandwidth have started overselling.
    oops, forgot to sarcasm,/sarcasm. sorry

Hell, I could spend $1000/month at IX and run the WHOLE INTERNET. The world has been getting ripped off all this time!

5 GB looks small, but it could indicate that your host is not oversold, and if so, more power to them.

You can definitely find something cheaper, or offering more bandwidth for the same price, but will it be as reliable? It's a trade off.

(I would go with 5 GB rather than 1500 GB. But there is something in the middle too.)
    WebHostingScene.com - Find a web host, read tips and commentary, and keep up with hosting deals and trends

SensibleHosts.com - Locate realistic hosting plans; avoid oversellers!

The only things you should ask yourself are:

Am I happy?
    Do I get good support?
    Is my site up 99.9..% of the time?
    If I am happy here, do I want to take the risk and try another provider?

Matt,

As long as you're satisfied with their services: Stick with them!
    They sound like they run a decent operation (and having been around that long: phew -- that's forever in this industry) and it never hurts to support local businesses!

Yes, if you answer all these questions you'll make up your mind what to do then.

Hi Matt, and welcome to the Forum.

You'll find that some local Hosters may charge more than other local Hosters. A local ISP will usually charge an arm and a leg because they get so much run-off business from providing Internet Access. If a local Host is important then definitely shop the phone book. You may be pleasently suprized at some of the different pricing available.

Some else to think about is whether you need a Reseller account. If you are going to resell Hosting space, such as many Web Designer do, then you should make sure your Hoster allows it, within a Personal Hosting account. Many Hoster state in their Terms of Service (TOS) that you cannot resell space unless you have a Reseller account.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Support local businesses. If you are currently happy with them and dont see any issues comming in the future, then the price isnt bad at all, and I would stick with them.
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

Quote Originally Posted by mattymcmatt
    My question is if I am paying too much and if so, what would be a reasonable price I should be paying for my needs? I ask because I'd rather switch now before I have launched my websites rather than later which would make things a bit more difficult.

Thanks...and great forums you have here!

Matt

Hi Matt,
    Thats probably the wrong question for wht You will find many, many hosts here that offer their services at bottom of the barrel pricing. Its sad, but true.
    Keep that in mind when several tell you that you can get cheaper. Cheap hosting is not hard to find. Quality hosting at a reasonable price is going to be harder to find. I would hate to see you jump ship from where you are now if they are still providing good service and support. Take advice here with a grain of salt. Read between the lines.
    Far too many hosts are offering such lo-ball pricing that its no surprise that they fold up within 6 months or less.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Maybe they are honest and not overselling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdothost
    The Price is a bit high for that space and bandwidth

Typically that will be the opinion of alot of WHT members that are webhosts. Not all of us feel that way however.
    You need to keep in mind that you do not know what said host expenses are either. Not all web hosts have a dirt cheap setup. Server expenses can run into hundreds of dollars monthly and there are some of us that realize the value of the dollar. Most pricing that I see here is plain crazy and thats all there is to it.
    Hosts like that are just not going to be around for years. They will burn out before they become known.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Smile

Hi mattymcmatt, welcome to WHT.

Like the old saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Assuming everything's working for you, don't take a chance on a new host. Some are bad, some are good and just a few are great, your present host seems to be good at least.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Most pricing that I see here is plain crazy and thats all there is to it.
    Hosts like that are just not going to be around for years. They will burn out before they become known.
    The really crazy part is that some of them have been around for years and are major players in the industry. That's when things get really confusing.

Anyway, mattymcmatt, IMO you should stick with the host you know. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

You are only paying too much if you can't afford their services for the amount of B/W and other features you expect to use.

Otherwise, you are probably in good shape with them. Paying more for bandwidth can mean that it's really yours to use, as opposed to paying for imaginary bandwidth that isn't really available. Assuming they run things well--use a monitoring service to make sure your uptime is good.
    WebHostingScene.com - Find a web host, read tips and commentary, and keep up with hosting deals and trends

SensibleHosts.com - Locate realistic hosting plans; avoid oversellers!

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't think I would get so many.

I think for the time being I will stick with them. I've been reading the phrase "you get what you pay for" over and over on these forums and other places with regards to web hosting. I'd definitely rather pay a couple bucks more than a couple bucks less if the difference means reliability and saving time down the road.

However, when I get around to buying my next domain I might try out a cheap host for a few months just to see how it goes.

Man, web hosting can be so confusing when starting out. It's one of those cases of having too many choices or information. I've read so much on web hosting the past couple days and yet I still don't really have a clue about who provides the best service or is the market leader. It's such a crazy industry

I don't think you are - I think your paying the right amonmnth

Quite expensive, but it means that they should be offering you a decent service so if they are, then stay with them

Quote Originally Posted by mattymcmatt
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't think I would get so many.
    Your post had details and good discussion points, and it was clear you had put some thought into it. Nice first post.

btw, welcome to wht.

I actually agree with many on here. i always was looked to the other 'field' thinking it was greener on the other side.. and when I did go on to pasteurs new, eventhough my existing hoster was ok, i regretted moving. Just for few dollars its not worth the hassle and potential grief. If your current hoster is reliable, service is fine and uptime is good... why risk in changing ? stick with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast