Need hosting for a new forum and need VB

Hi Guys,

Am looking for a new host who can provide
    hosting for a forum based website with
    vbulletin added on for free.

Would require around 1gb space & 30gb bandwidth...
    The budget at the moment is very low, but still
    looking for a reliable host.

Vinny

Hi,

How low is low for you in terms of your budget? Depending on how busy your forum is and how large your forum database is, some very low budget hosts might not want to host you after you signup and move to them, so be sure to check with them its ok.

Any hosts around the ~$5/mo. range should be fine for your requirements as it seems, but do note that vBulletin is not free, but it can be installed by hosts for free if you have a license at www.vbulletin.com

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Cirtex,

$5/month is acceptable, and we are looking for a host who can
    offer vbulletien ready for use, I feel that there many hosts
    who can offer this forum....

Thanks,

Vinny

You're not going to find a host that has vbulletin included with their hosting package. That forum software is not free.

Nobody is going to offer you a $150 software like Vbulletin for free.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

vin16, why do you want to have your forum only on vBulletin? You may do it on the others like IPB or phpbb but as far as I know all software isn't free of charge. You have to pay for it. I don't know the prices but you can find it out at any hosts.

You may do it on the others like IPB or phpbb but as far as I know all software isn't free of charge.
    IPB isn't free anymore either.

vin16, I recommend you the SimpleMachines forum software. It isn't vBulletin, but it's free, and comes with quite a few features out of the box.

A $5 hosting account will be ok while you just start your forum, but once it gains a bit of popularity, you should get out of the budget hosting pool. This probably means you need to find a way for the forum to bring enough money to pay for its own hosting bills, like placing ads on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    IPB isn't free anymore either.

vin16, I recommend you the SimpleMachines forum software. It isn't vBulletin, but it's free, and comes with quite a few features out of the box.

A $5 hosting account will be ok while you just start your forum, but once it gains a bit of popularity, you should get out of the budget hosting pool. This probably means you need to find a way for the forum to bring enough money to pay for its own hosting bills, like placing ads on it.
    Yep, it would be very nice if IPB was still free but again many are still running the old version it seems for free.

As for my top 3 list for free forums, here it goes:

1) phpbb
    2) punbb
    3) smf

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Guys,

Thanks, I will test PBB & Simple machine forums and decide on it.

Thanks for all your help, it has been nice of yous....

So what kind of reliable host can I get for around $5/month...

Thanks,

Vinny

Glowhost.com does have a vBulletin included in some of their plans.

vin16,

Try out SimpleMachines forum software www.simplemachines.org

Then pair it with a reliable host such as:

www.myriadnetwork.com
    www.steadfast.net
    www.pair.com
    www.fluidhosting.com
    www.asmallorange.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yoggi
    Glowhost.com does have a vBulletin included in some of their plans.
    They offer it on their advanced and pro 5 star plans, the cheapest being $23.49 per month for 1gb space and 40gb transfer. Although perhaps beyond what you currently want to pay it could be a potential good long term investment. They offer free renewals for the life of hosting with them so saves several $$$ per year.

If you really cant stretch to $23.49 a month. I would have to recommend phpbb for a freebie as i have used it in the past. 'Most' hosts offer this on all of their plans, however you need to consider the future, ie how busy the forum will get and the reliability of the host.

My only recommendation is choose the right software carefuly as it is impossible/a nightmare if you decide to change it at a later date without starting from scratch. If it is vbulletin you are familiar with and expect your forum to rapidly grow then dont scimp and go for what you see as second best in the early days or you will perhaps regret it in the future. There will be plenty of advertising revenue to cover bills in the future if your forum grows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirtex
    Yep, it would be very nice if IPB was still free but again many are still running the old version it seems for free.

As for my top 3 list for free forums, here it goes:

1) phpbb
    2) punbb
    3) smf

Cheers
    phpbb should be included in any cPanel provider...well for the most part right? This way, if the OP purchased a plan from a cPanel provider then they will have a auto-install for phpbb....I may be wrong on this one though.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>