Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rackspace AD

Rackspace AD

I was reading Linux Magazine and found this ad on the back...

http://www.imgarchive.org/uploads/83b8959d0d.jpg

I'm not usually one to bash competitors, but I think this advert by Rackspace UK was pretty low. We all know they suffered quite a significant amount of downtime (many hours) earlier this year due to a fiber cut.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

lol, not a surprise, Rackspace is pretty shady. I asked their live chat people about the 100% uptime once and they had no idea (or claimed to, anyways) about the LON2 outage (4h, 45m I think it was).

I actually thought it was pretty funny because it looks like they're judges for something and they're all giving Rackspace a "zero" out of 10

I also found it amusing that the ad is horribly written...perhaps they should invest some money into hiring people who can speak speak English properly.

You bring up a good point on that ad, it's very mis-leading and well is blatent false advertising because of the 4 hour outage they had just recently.

-Scott
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Luckily the Advertising Standards Authority does uphold issues like this if a complaint is received. I remember a couple of years ago Fasthosts ran an advertisement claiming to have "more bandwidth than any other UK host" which wasn't true and the complaint was upheld.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    I actually thought it was pretty funny because it looks like they're judges for something and they're all giving Rackspace a "zero" out of 10

I also found it amusing that the ad is horribly written...perhaps they should invest some money into hiring people who can speak speak English properly.

I was given the same impression actually, instead of 0 downtime

Personally I do not see any problems with the Ad as long as rackspace can backup their 100% Uptime with some statistics/facts.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Personally I do not see any problems with the Ad as long as rackspace can backup their 100% Uptime with some statistics/facts.
    But they can't

Good Morning

Good news! We have restored connectivity to the LON2 Datacenter. The outage started at 20:32 GMT on 17/07/06 and lasted until 01:08 GMT on 18/07/06 which resulted in a total network downtime of 4 hours 40 minutes.

The issue was related to the C&W network infrastructure that had a failure on their network ring. We identified a design flaw on the C&W network tonight witch proved that they did not provide us with a true diverse solution we initially bought from them.

This failure caused all of our 3 "diverse" circuits to go down. We have already started and will be working closely with C&W tomorrow to get this design corrected ASAP so that we do that have this event repeating itself. We believe in standing behind our suppliers and partners by doing so helping them to allow us to provide you with Fanatical Support.

We are also in the process of getting another Fibre provider connected to our LON2 network which will allow us to have even greater diversity on our network. This was something we planned as future expansion but we have taken a decision to bring this installation forward.

Again we would like to apologise for any inconvenience this might have caused you. We take this incident very seriously and we know that we need to win back your trust in our ability to provide a reliable Managed Hosting Service.

We will honour all service credits that you feel you are owed because of this service failure.

Regards,
    Jacques Greyling
    Managing Director

I get an email advertising Rackspace every week, (SPAM?) I asked for a quote once - would that be why?

Why am I not surprised.... Anyone going to contact the ASA about the advert?
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Someone should report that ad. You can't promote zero downtime like that, when you've just had a very public outage that resulted in downtime.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    I'm not usually one to bash competitors, but I think this advert by Rackspace UK was pretty low. We all know they suffered quite a significant amount of downtime (many hours) earlier this year due to a fiber cut.
    I don't see your post as a bash. A host is acting deliberatley deceptively, and you're bringing that to the attention of the hosting community. No bashing there.
    Five years of zero network downtime.

That's right. In five years, there has not been a single second of downtime. Zero.
    Good Morning

Good news! We have restored connectivity to the LON2 Datacenter. The outage started at 20:32 GMT on 17/07/06 and lasted until 01:08 GMT on 18/07/06 which resulted in a total network downtime of 4 hours 40 minutes.

The issue was related to the C&W network infrastructure that had a failure on their network ring. We identified a design flaw on the C&W network tonight witch proved that they did not provide us with a true diverse solution we initially bought from them.

This failure caused all of our 3 "diverse" circuits to go down. We have already started and will be working closely with C&W tomorrow to get this design corrected ASAP so that we do that have this event repeating itself. We believe in standing behind our suppliers and partners by doing so helping them to allow us to provide you with Fanatical Support.

We are also in the process of getting another Fibre provider connected to our LON2 network which will allow us to have even greater diversity on our network. This was something we planned as future expansion but we have taken a decision to bring this installation forward.

Again we would like to apologise for any inconvenience this might have caused you. We take this incident very seriously and we know that we need to win back your trust in our ability to provide a reliable Managed Hosting Service.

We will honour all service credits that you feel you are owed because of this service failure.

Regards,
    Jacques Greyling
    Managing Director
    They cannot continue to ethically and legally promote that they have had zero network downtime, when this is not the case.

Anyone else notice the following error?:

Anyone else notice the following error?:
    They've pretty much proven that they have a fairly blatant disregard for proper use of the English language

FYI I have reported it to the ASA, I'll let you all know the outcome.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Thanks Dan.

layer0 bashing rackspace? this is so... out of character... -not

Anyway, all great companies become targets wether it's jealousy, competition, etc. I've basically tried all the top players in the biz for many sites and am now on rackspace. Bash as much as you like but I've had 100% uptime since using rackspace and I've had service unlike anything I've experienced anywhere (hosts or any businesses for that matter). Bash or not rackspace delivers and that gets under some people's skin big time..

I'm quite suprised myself that rackspace would run such and ad after such a public downtime, however we have to remember that the marketing folks hardly ever talk to the people actually running the networks....

My only guess is this ad was already sent and waiting print before the downtime occured.

Okay- throw tomatos .... NOW!

No doubt their "uptime" applies only to their network and what they have direct control over, not their suppliers. Unfortunate.

As a designer.. That campaign gives the strong message to the readers who are reading in the tech magazine where Rackspace placed their ad such as Linux as Dan mentioned. It tells readers to sign up with Rackspace or check out their services. If they lie, do something!

So why is this a lie again? Their network has not had any downtime. This is ridiculous. I mean what's next for the bash rackspace olympics?

"OMG!!! MY NEIGHBOR CUT THE FIBER TO MY HOUSE WHILE PUTTING IN A FENCE POST, AFTER THAT I COULD NOT GET TO ANY RACKSPACE SITES FOR 8HRS, THEY WERE TOTALLY DOWN!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    So why is this a lie again? Their network has not had any downtime. This is ridiculous. I mean what's next for the bash rackspace olympics?

"OMG!!! MY NEIGHBOR CUT THE FIBER TO MY HOUSE WHILE PUTTING IN A FENCE POST, AFTER THAT I COULD NOT GET TO ANY RACKSPACE SITES FOR 8HRS, THEY WERE TOTALLY DOWN!"

Wow, you're smart.

The single fiber provider connecting Rackspace (not others in the UK) had an outage. If Rackspace had multiple fiber providers they would NOT have had this problem. The downtime effected THEM. Residential ISPs, BT, etc. weren't where the trouble was. I'm not sure how much more clear you want this to get.

I'm loving all of the arguements from those who do not even know what's going on (Billy, David...).

David, way to be a one-post wonder and criticize companies such as RazorBlue, which I have been a customer of and love how it, as Layer0 said, just works. Perhaps you should spend a little more time reading and less posting.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    I'm loving all of the arguements from those who do not even know what's going on (Billy, David...).

David, way to be a one-post wonder and criticize companies such as RazorBlue, which I have been a customer of and love how it, as Layer0 said, just works. Perhaps you should spend a little more time reading and less posting.
    Thanks for adding some clue to this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BaseOneDavid
    Aussie Bob?

"Someone should report that ad."

...typical lazy Aussie.
    I meant someone from the same country should report that ad.

But you've gone and hurt my feelings now.

Right, you're off my Christmas card list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast